[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where Europeans in the Middle Ages really dirty, superstitious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: feast.jpg (75 KB, 661x465) Image search: [Google]
feast.jpg
75 KB, 661x465
Where Europeans in the Middle Ages really dirty, superstitious idiots or is there more to the story?

Well, of course theirs more to the story. But do you think the reputation of the "Dark Ages" is justifiable?
>>
>le dumb pig farmers who think the earth is flat and don't know about evolution :^) maymay
>>
The actual archaeological evidence suggests a downward trend in the population of Western Europe from 200 AD to 700 AD and a vast decrease in metalworking from 200 to about 1600 AD.

At the same time, the number of people that were literate decreased until it was essentially an exclusively religious thing.

So yeah, when you get fucked that hard, it's hard to go around doing quantum physics and shit.

>>394721
Kill yourself.
>>
>>394716
The society of continental, manorial Europe was comparably different to the commercial, urbanized Europe near the Mediterranean Sea in around the 11th century A.D..
>>
>>394716

This threaad is made pretty often.
And usually is a trollfest full of baits.
>>
>>394716
They actually loved baths, and bathhouses were very common.

It wasn't until the Enlightenment that they stopped bathing regularly.
>>
>Before the Middle Ages, public baths were very common, as was the general public regularly taking time to bathe in one way or another. Even during the 4th and 5th centuries, Christian authorities allowed people to bathe for cleanliness and health, but condemned attendance to public bath houses for pleasure and condemned women going to bath houses that had mixed facilities. However, over time, more and more restrictions appeared. Eventually, Christians were prohibited from bathing naked and, overall, the church began to not approve an “excessive” indulgence in the habit of bathing. This culminated in the Medieval church authorities proclaiming that public bathing led to immorality, promiscuous sex, and diseases.

I don't think they were dirty, they just didn't bathe publicly but instead privately, especially women.
>>
>>394740
>Kill yourself.
He is right though, it wasn't nowhere near as bad as the 19th century scholars wanted to portray it as. They sure as fuck didn't believe that Earth was flat, for one.
>>
>>394716
Depends on what area of Europe we're talking about and what time period during the "Middle Ages". I imagine the Byzantines had proper hygiene, the Vikings were very hygienic, Iberians were hygienic and even prior to Al-Andalus they were as the deluge of Visigoths into Iberia didn't affect Iberia at all as they assimilated into Romano culture, although I imagine certain parts of Western Europe prior to the advent of Charlemagne (i.e. British Isles, France, Germany, etc.) were quite unhygienic.
>>
>>396833
I think it is safe to assume that anyone who even bothers to view this board knows such simple truths.
>>
Honestly it was always just a meme.

>dark ages where everyone was an illiterate retard
Only the early middle ages were "dark", because Europe still felt the outcome of the collapse of Rome, the rest of the period was fine. The first universities as we know them popped up in 11th century for example.

>everyone believed the Earth was flat
A hoax invented by 19th century philosophers, it's been long debunked by now.

>witch trials and burnings
Never really a thing until after the renaissance and even then it was mostly protestant countries like Germany, Sweden and the American colonies.

>hygiene
There were certainly less hygienic than we are now, but they weren't walking around covered in pig shit 24/7. Public baths were very common.

One exception to this was the most of the 14th century though which had nothing to do with science or literacy though, it was just an all around disaster. Several famines, civil wars and the Black Death hitting just within a few decades.
>>
>>396890
This board has plenty of retards, just look at all the Marxists.
>>
>>394716
>Dark Ages
Refers to the lack of written sources.
>>
>>396828
They did still bathe, though, usually more than once a week.

People didn't actually stop bathing until the Renaissance, and really until the Enlightenment. Yes, the fucking Enlightenment was the period of history that smelled the most like sweat and shit.
>>
>>396915
I always find the name of the enlightement ironic as fuck. Lack of hygiene, absolutism, social engineering and ideological dogmatism, that's anything but enlightened. It was also them who started demonizing the middle ages like the worst thing ever.
>>
>>396954
>Invention of vaccines
>Rights for serfs
>Pope/Kings cant kill you for offending him

Christian dogma imposes ignorance, poverty, and terror on the slaves in order to control them. One of the reason this works is that the 'terror' facet causes physical brain damage that quells the IQ and ability to think original thoughts. This was discovered by researchers several years ago ad deemed incurable and irreversible. It is better known today as PTSD, Post Trauma Stress Disorder
>>
>>397179
Meme post friendo
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.