[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you recommend some philosophers who defended authoritarianism/totalitarianism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Fleur-de-lys.png (388 KB, 4480x5304) Image search: [Google]
Fleur-de-lys.png
388 KB, 4480x5304
Could you recommend some philosophers who defended authoritarianism/totalitarianism? I am interested because democracy is today taken as "natural" and God-given. I just want to check the other side of the coin. I would really like to know more about it and its philosophical basis. Any period is acceptable, ancient to modern.
>>
Carl Schmitt
>>
>>394554
What should I read?
>>
>>394530
Oh, and I already read Leviathan.
>>
>>394559
r/cringe
>>
Your best best is to look for political philosophers who rejects democracy.

Plato's "Republic" rejects democracy in favour of an ideal way to run a country, where the kids are taken away from their parents and philosopher-kings rule.

Utilitarian thought (the greater good is what counts and nothing else) arguably rejects democracy, it without a doubt rejects democracy as anything else but a tool to achieve the greater good.

Communist thoughts are by virtue (if you want to read them as philosophical arguments instead of a theory of social progression) anti-democratic.

B.F.Skinner, a behavioural psychology, wrote a book called "Walden 2" based on the theory that human don't have a free will and can be conditioned to enjoy whatever best suit them, thus rendering democracy useless.

I can't think of any academic contemporary book that outright rejects democracy.
>>
>>394581
Whatever you say.
>>
>>394582
Thanks.
>>
Oswald Spengler
Julius Evola is you're real old school
>>
>>394530
>I am interested because democracy is today taken as "natural" and God-given.

topkek, no it isn't wtf
>>
>>394957
Well it sort of is in the US. Whether or not democracy is the best form of government isn't even a question for most people.
>>
>>394980
>America
>Democracy
>>
>>395005
Representative democracy is still democracy. Those represented are just big businesses.
>>
Julius Evola
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.