[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so how did he get away with not even talking about AIDS until
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: AP5167[1].jpg (339 KB, 1134x1700) Image search: [Google]
AP5167[1].jpg
339 KB, 1134x1700
so how did he get away with not even talking about AIDS until 4 years later, literally thousands of Americans were dying and he said nothing
>>
>>394121
Because they were all gay.
>>
>>394121
>gays fucking each other to death
Perhaps they should have been a bit more careful.

There wasn't a huge amount of public sympathy, so there was no need to talk about it, no political brownie points to be won.
>>
>>394131
>>394139

>le only gay people get aids meme

this isn't /pol/
>>
>>394152

In fairness the majority of victims were gay or black, which does help explain how he got away with it in '80s America.
>>
>>394121
Take your pathetic b8 thread to >>>/pol/
>>
>>394121

>thousands
>in a country of three hundred million
>>
>>394152

In the 80s, it pretty much was.
>>
>>394186
>>394152
>>>/lgbt/
>>
The 1980s were a different time. Everyone believed everything on the news, in fact most people still believed that it was highly illegal to print or televise anything false. There were no magazines or Internet talking about political issues like this. If Reagan didn't want to mention it, there was no platform for citizens to criticize him for it except public protesting - which meant you had to go tell the world you are gay and either have AIDS or know someone with it.

Plus being gay was still hush-hush, so the public would have been very uncomfortable with their leader talking on television about AIDS. It would be like if Obama got on television talking about the transgender suicide rate during the State of the Union. Conservatives' jaws would drop.
>>
>>394208
>Everyone believed everything on the news
People still do, nothings changed. The only thing is that people have broaden this belief into believing everything they read on there facebook feed

Americans think they're intelligent and become an authority on knowledge because they follow CNN on twitter and read the cover of time magazine
>>
>>394152
This is literally the reason why nobody cared about AIDS at the time. It's not my fault you're 15 years old and weren't around to actually see
>>
>>394220

That is starting to change. Most young people at least know Fox News is bullshit, but unfortunately think that Comedy Central and John Oliver are the best place to get news currently.

But when you look at public discussion on 9/11 lately, you can see that everyone is realizing that not everything is as it seems.
>>
>>394243

>muh jet fuel
>muh steel beams
>muh inability to melt

Please, no.
>>
>>394121

Left wingers should note that it was a good thing that Reagan stayed out of it. Most of you youngbloods are too young to remember that security and medical experts on the right wanted mandatory testing of everyone in the US and mandatory quarantine in secure facilities of all those infected.

There were also (and still are) numerous homosexual activist groups that denied that HIV or AIDS even existed.
>>
>>396268
>homosexual activist groups
>that wording
Jew pls
>>
>>394152
No, but the majority of the sufferers are gay
>>
>>394121
Hi /pol/
>>
People really only gave a shit when that kid got it from a transfusion. Before then most of the public saw it as a "you reap what you sow".
>>
>>394152
Majority afflicted were gays, blacks and the poor.

Only when people found out that *gasp* heteros can get it did people really grasp it like say a cheating husband giving it to his wife and possibly unborn kid, rich drug addict gets it etc
>>
>gays engage in daily cocaine fueled bareback orgies
>it's Reagan's fault when they begin to die!
>>
>>394208
>being gay was hush hush
>in the fucking 80s

This isn't the 50s we're talking about here.
>>
>>394121
It is a known fact that Ronald Reagan only succeeded in taking over the country by giving the gays and black people AIDS-infected blankets under the guise of a peace offering.
>>
File: OWG.jpg (43 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
OWG.jpg
43 KB, 365x450
>>396734
Lost my shit.
>>
>>394152

Fucking retard detected.
>>
>>394121
That's not even the worst thing he did. He should have been tried and hanged.
>>
>Late 20th century gay culture is a drug fulled whirl of unprotected anonymous sex
>New STD starts
>People don't stop sticking their penises in other men's hairy buttholes
>"Lol, why do all our friends keep dying?"

>>396710
>Before then most of the public saw it as a "you reap what you sow".
The public was entirely correct. And still is.
>>
>>396834
>>396721
Lol
>>
>>394121
>so how did he get away with not even talking about AIDS until 4 years later, literally thousands of Americans were dying and he said nothing

You'll want to historicise media and ideology in late capitalism. Can I recommend Althusser, Frankfurt, Marshall McLuhan, "the simulacrum," Situationalism?
>>
>>396834
The same outlook can be applied to almost any non-genetic disease you kek
>>
File: Laughing Lawyer.gif (319 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Lawyer.gif
319 KB, 256x192
>>396941
>late capitalism

Keep writing your shitty blog, Slavoj Žižek
>>
>>396962
You know, I don't normally have to take a train of gay Columbia hookers to come down with the measles

HIV was spread through sexual promiscuity. The vast majority of those who got it were degenerates who decided they could have lots of unprotected sex without consequence
>>
>>396963
Žižek doesn't generally talk about late capitalism because it doesn't fit his schtick.
>>
>>394121
By talking about a deadly STD that affected homosexual, bisexual and IV drug users would have stopped the epidemic how, exactly.
In the US it was and still is an illness that is mostly in the gay and drug using community's (and the down low folks too) most normal Americans are unefected.
There were people in the medical community on the news nightly in the SF Bay Area begging elected leaders to shut down the Gay Bathhouses (places that gays went to for unprotected anonymous sex), but the leaders refused, claiming it was part of "Gay Culture". Diane Fienstien, then mayor of SF refused to close all the places that gays met for sex, if she had, the initial spread of the disease would have slowed.
The paper in SF at the height of the epidemic had pages of obituaries called " The Toll" that listed the daily deaths, gays were dropping like flies.
The gay community resisted all efforts to curb the activities that the medical profession told them was spreading the disease, condom use was refused, they refused to stop having sex in parks and in every public restroom in the city.
So lots of gay and bisexual men died and rather then blame themselves, they blame Reagan for not "talking about it", even if he had they would have laughed at him.
Even today 35 years later gays, bisexuals and drug addicts are still passing the disease around, all the "education " hasn't done shit.
Was, is and always will be 100% preventable, use a condom every time, don't have sex with bisexuals or IV drug users, stay in a monogamous relationship, get tested, never, ever be a bottom.
But that's too easy, no, spend trillions, yes trillions of tax dollars pursuing a "Cure", and a mandatory vaccination so 2% of the US population can go back to having random, unprotected sex in public bathrooms.
>>
>>396973
>HIV was spread through sexual promiscuity.

This. This is why I don't get conservatives being opposed to gay marriage, since it will actually reduce the amount of faggots fagging around in random places.

This is why I also hate self-proclaimed conservative fags like Milo Yiannopapoupouwhatever, since he claims you're not truly gay if you don't take 10 nigger dicks per night.
>>
>>397598
Given that the body of conservatives you're talking about are modern religious revivalist conservatives: they would prefer that a plague from god kill all homosexuals, rather than acknowledge that the rights of man apply to homosexuals and that they can live in an image of capitalist heterosexuality.

Learn how to read by simulating other's reading positions.
>>
>>394121
I feel like before the internet and after the 60s there was a massive cultural rift between the city and suburban people. Gays lived in gay neighburhood and didn't really interact with reagans conservative suburban voting base in real life. Why would he bother addressing people his base hated a lot? Obviously he should have but that's my 2 centz
>>
>>397622
>rather than acknowledge that the rights of man apply to homosexuals and that they can live in an image of capitalist heterosexuality.

>"If the state doesn't formally recognize my right to engage in a relationship in which I ejaculate in the end of the digestive tract of another man, that's not the America I want to live in!"
>>
>>397658
>"If the state doesn't formally recognize my right to engage in a relationship in which I ejaculate in the end of the digestive tract of another man, that's not the America I want to live in!"

That's nice, but that's a political claim, not a claim about actuality. You've not disputed the accuracy of my analysis of fundie conservatives.
>>
>>397676
And you've not disputed the accuracy of my analysis of homosexuals in America.
>>
>>397689
Yes I did, by reading it, two greentexts in a row, as a characterisation of the prior green text as a homosexual.

Seriously, use big boy sentences.
>>
>>397789
Awwww, are you butthurt? I mean, more than you normally are. Because of all that anal sex you're engaging in?
>>
>>397791
Thank you for conceding.
>>
>>397821
I knew how much you liked submissive men
>>
>>394192
And yet people cared about 9/11.

Though, I'm sure those buildings were worth a lot.
>>
File: EVERYONE HAS AIDS.png (46 KB, 950x654) Image search: [Google]
EVERYONE HAS AIDS.png
46 KB, 950x654
It is hard to feel too bad for anyone who has AIDS because you have to be either really really really unlucky or engage in repeated risky and idiotic behaviors to contract HIV.

For example, if Magic Johnson fucked you in the ass, you would have a 1.38% chance of contracting HIV per CDC and chart to my left
>>
>>397947
t w e n t y f i v e y e a r r u l e
>>
>>397957
>be driving
>car crashes into me
>need blood transfusion
>get aids
WELL ITS YOUR FAULT FOR DRIVING THATS RISKY AND IDIOTIC BEHAVIOR
>>
>>397962
And they started screening HIV in blood used for transfusions well before you were born (1985)....and besides Ryan White, how many people caught HIV this way?
>>
>>397962
It's your own fault for not being a Jehovah's Witness.
>>
>>396834
>>396973
>>397568
Assuming that someone who has one night stands is automatically a detriment to society is pretty silly
I've had a few one night stands and I graduated top of my class
>>
>>397568
how would you feel if it was proved that it was man-made and targeted on certain minorities?

only a hypothetical question. but you're right in a sense that the gay community have a problem with keeping it in their goddamn pants. and those that claim 'they aren't like that' aren't part of said community because they're a bunch of white bourgeois faggots.
>>
>>396734
is that what that giant quilt is? ;O
>>
File: ron-burgundy-2[1].jpg (20 KB, 937x521) Image search: [Google]
ron-burgundy-2[1].jpg
20 KB, 937x521
>>398674
Top of the class at hooker school
>>
>>397568
That HBO movie about AIDS amongst the gay community in the 80's with Mark Ruffaloe really opened my eyes to how obstinate they were. Especially that scene where Julia Roberts' character was advising them to lay off of sex and the gays were vehemently against it because it would strengthen the idea about "gay men not being to be intimate with each other and being afraid of contact".

You're fucking dying and you want to make a hissy-fit about ideology?
>>
>>398870
>you're dying and you throw a hissy fit about ideology
>french Revolution
>>
File: mind blown.gif (951 KB, 300x308) Image search: [Google]
mind blown.gif
951 KB, 300x308
>>397568
in a world without bottoms, there can be no tops.
>>
>>397568
It has probably gotten worse than it is now because they didn't have bug catcher and gift giver subcultures like they do now.
>>
>>397598
>What about the majority of gays who just want to settle down and lead a monogamous white bread lifestyle with their partner and adopted asian baby. These people really exist and are not at all fictitious.
>>
>>397962
Which is why laws were passed the prevented all gays and drug users from donating blood. That same rule was recently abolished by Lord Purpa Drank.
>>
>>399363
>That same rule was recently abolished by Lord Purpa Drank.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the rule is still in place, because the Red Cross doesn't want AIDS in the blood supply
>>
>>398870
Which movie was that?
>>
>>394121

Because HIV/AIDS was poorly understood at the time and if he said anything it would have been taken the wrong way and caused people to panic.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.