[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BOOK THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 4052976_orig[1].jpg (334 KB, 550x800) Image search: [Google]
4052976_orig[1].jpg
334 KB, 550x800
Hey can we have a book suggestions thread? I'm looking for material about the development of military retinues through european history, particularly in the roman/byzantine period (bucellarii and shit) and during the renaissance.

Pic unrelated, just a good book about Venice if someone is interested.
>>
bump for interest
>>
Bump, I need something to read.

How do I into history?
>>
File: maolife.jpg (50 KB, 319x499) Image search: [Google]
maolife.jpg
50 KB, 319x499
>>393718
read the Private Life of Chairman Mao written by his doctor Li Zhisui
>>
File: 100year.jpg (35 KB, 320x499) Image search: [Google]
100year.jpg
35 KB, 320x499
The 100 year old man.
>>
>>395854
>I'm looking for material about the development of military retinues through european history
>The 100 year old man.

nigger what?
you talking about the whole atombomb thing? because that was made up

great book tho totally recommend it to anyone who wants a good read
>>
>>393718
>military retinues
what do you mean by this?
>>
>>395429
>How do I into history?
Cartoon History of the Universe, Cartoon History of the Modern World, Cartoon History of the United States.
>>
File: 17857634.jpg (39 KB, 318x474) Image search: [Google]
17857634.jpg
39 KB, 318x474
>>393718
All of Jung Chang's works are pretty good. Dowager Cixi, though well-researched, is a really rose-tinted portrayal -- like, Jung Chang admitted that she fell in love with Cixi during the course of her research for the book, and it shows. Still good though, just keep in mind that it's not exactly "objective". One might even go so far as to say she wrote a book about her waifu, so keep that in mind.

Wild Swans is also good, and more objective, though it's set a lot more recently -- being, essentially, a biography of her grandmother, then her mother, then an autobiography of herself. But, again, it is pretty intensively researched, and provides pretty accurate (AFAIK) accounts of Pre-Maoist, Maoist, and Post-Maoist China.
>>
speaking of books how good are cambridge history ones?
>>
>>397530
Bucellarii, spatharioi and shit. You know, the development of bodyguards into small private standing armies.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.