[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides the Norse Vikings, is there any truly compelling evidence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: map2.gif (47 KB, 464x292) Image search: [Google]
map2.gif
47 KB, 464x292
Besides the Norse Vikings, is there any truly compelling evidence for contact between people of the Americas and the Old World before Columbus (and after the original migration obviously)?
>>
File: moana.jpg (607 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
moana.jpg
607 KB, 800x600
Maybe Polynesian. Anything else is bullshit, either contradicted by facts, using gaps in our knowledge to have a place for itself or could technically be true but there is no evidence for it.
>>
>>393657

Nope.

Put it this way, the Norse landings are the only thing we can definetly say for certain happened since they left behind archeological findings.

There's stories of some Irish monk but there's nothing to suggest it's

A) Nothing but a story

B) He went to either America

It's mere wishful thinking at this point.
>>
L'anse Meadaux
>>
>>393657
Theirs a myth about Mansa Musa venturing out into the Atlantic to find undiscovered lands, but their is absolutely no evidence to support it happening.

So it was basically Polenysians, Vikings, then the Spanish.
>>
>>393657
There's mounting evidence that there were European visitors to the Americas in the stone age.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/radical-theory-of-first-americans-places-stone-age-europeans-in-delmarva-20000-years-ago/2012/02/28/gIQA4mriiR_story.html

I think the idea has been around for awhile, but has only very recently started to be taken seriously.
>>
Australian where there first. Even before Native Americans

Bullshit you say? Read the study, the genetic evidence is damning

http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/reich/Reich_Lab/Welcome_files/nature14895_Skoglund_2015.pdf
>>
File: mp52a07420.jpg (110 KB, 736x1045) Image search: [Google]
mp52a07420.jpg
110 KB, 736x1045
does this north american petroglyph really depict cernunnos?
>>
>>393657

Dighton Rock.
>>
>>393797
If I recall correctly, it was his predecessor that got on the boat. He was never seen again and that was how Mansa Musa got his job.

How wrong am I?
>>
File: Mansa_Musa.jpg (100 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
Mansa_Musa.jpg
100 KB, 500x381
>>393797
Mansa Musa told the Egyptians that his uncle Mansa Abubakari wanted to see the limits of the western sea.

He loaded up 200 ships of which only 1 came back. The expedition had come to a "river with a powerful current" in the ocean. The current took most of the fleet away, after which the captain turned back. According to Musa, Abu Bakr was undeterred and launched an even larger expedition with himself as the head, departing with 2000 vessels for his men and a like number for supplies. He left Musa, his vizier, as his deputy during his absence.

The expedition was never heard from again...
>>
>>396371
>North America has deer
>Europe has deer
>North America had a drawing of a man with antlers
>Europe had a drawing of a man with antlers

Hmmm... it's almost as if the presence of an animal causes natives to use that animal in their religion or give humans the traits of those animals...

If there was no horned animals in North America, THEN we'd have a case.
>>
File: Gundestrup_Cernunnos.jpg (522 KB, 1181x979) Image search: [Google]
Gundestrup_Cernunnos.jpg
522 KB, 1181x979
>>396740
but that ring in the top right even looks like a torc.
>>
>>396820
Well this is weird
>>
>>396726
Yeah, west African Currents are shit.
>>
>>393691
>>393705
Polynesia almost certainly did, how else could they possess the sweet potato (an american species)

>>395012
solutrean hypothesis
pls leave
>>
>>393657
How much support is there for the idea that the Egyptians contacted the Americas? IIRC there were traces of cocaine and/or tobacco found on Egyptian mummy's.

Personally I think it's highly unlikely
>>
Carthaginian money was found somewhere in the Bahamas. Google it
>>
The Welsh pirate Black Bart was there first
>>
>>398050

Sorry, OP's image made me think he was asking for European settlers, which I see now is not the question at hand.
>>
>>393657
There is a compelling amount of circumstantial evidence supporting Basque fishermen making landfall before official exploration.
>>
>there will never be proofs of a lost Roman colony on Jamaica which battled the surrounding tribes for a century and left behind records of its history
>>
>>393657
ancient egyptians *may* have traded with central and south america, as some mummies have been found with traces of tobacco and coca leaves from the process of mummification
http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/ethnic/mummy.htm
>>
>>398070

The mummy was probably contamined, nothing of real significance. Also if I remember correctly, there is an African plant which resembles tobacco, this could well be it.
>>
>>396371
No.

Wicca herstorian pls go
>>
Mayan symbolism is based off of Ancient Hellenic script
>>
>>398862

Care to explain?
>>
>>398862

Then writing was only invented ONCE in all of human history?
>>
>>395024
>Reich_Lab
gtfo nazi
back to /pol/
>>
>>399247
No. Mesoamerican glyphs, Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Sumerian Cuneiform, Chinese characters, the Nigerian Nsibidi (The only known indigenous Sub-Saharan writing system), Proto-Elamite, Cretan Heiroglyphs, Linear A, Linear B, and the Indus script are all examples of writing that occurred in a vacuum. That is, no one said "Hey, those guys over there are writing, let's make our own system!" ala Greek, Katakana/Hirgana or Hangul.
>>
File: Tecaxic_calixtlahuaca_head.jpg (10 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
Tecaxic_calixtlahuaca_head.jpg
10 KB, 300x256
This is pretty much the only find in the Americas that I find compelling evidence of some kind of contact.

Altough it is entirely possible it was made there, or that it was in a ship or a vase or something and floated over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecaxic-Calixtlahuaca_head
>>
i heard on some documentary that theres a fuckton of linguistic ties between polynesian languages and indigenous south american languages
>>
>>399555
No, there is only one word which is similar, sweet potato in Polynesian and Quechua languages.
>>
Didn't they found the rests a Roman ship on the shores of Texas? I mean it isn't proof that Romans actually created a stable colony in America but I guess it's something?
>>
>>399845

Seems like bullshit.

Not only can't I find reliable sources, but the professor Belfiglio, who is supposed to have discovered the ship hasn't published anything on it.
>>
>>393657
Some of the Indigenous tribes in the Amazon rainforest have Polynesian DNA, not a lot but enough that there was some kind of contact before Columbus's era.
>>
I heard there was jewish/hebrew pottery found in florida that was older than the spanish expeditions.
>>
I heard there was jewish/hebrew pottery found that was older than the spanish expeditions.
>>
Oops i messed up.
>>
File: droppedImage.jpg (24 KB, 217x284) Image search: [Google]
droppedImage.jpg
24 KB, 217x284
>>399279
Not sure if your a troll but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reich_%28geneticist%29

>David Reich is a geneticist and professor in the department of genetics at the Harvard Medical School, and an associate of the Broad Institute, whose research studies comparing human DNA with that of chimpanzees, Neanderthals and Denisovans.

>Reich's genetics research focuses primarily on finding complex genetic patterns that cause susceptibility to common diseases among large populations, rather than finding specific genetic flaws associated with relatively rare illnesses.

>Reich's research team at Harvard University has produced controversial evidence that, over a span of at least four million years, various parts of the human genome diverged gradually from those of chimpanzees. He was a co-leader, along with statistician Simon Myers, of a team of genetics researchers from Harvard University and the University of Oxford that in July 2011 revealed their completion of the world's most detailed human genetic map to date.[1]

http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/reich/Reich_Lab/Welcome.html

http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/faculty/reich

Also Reich is a jew himself most likely
>>
>>399279

I seriously hope you're baiting.

>>403238

No, there wasn't, I have yet to see an evidence of Hebrew/Phoenician contact which isn't hoax. Keep in mind that Mormons are wetting themselves over possibility of such a contact so you will obviously see a lot of hoaxes.
>>
>>395024

This doesn't prove that there was Australian contact. Maybe, but it's possible that the intermixing happened before the journey to Americas and then the offspring with such genes migrated to the New World, along other populations coming from Beringia.
>>
>>398115
>"Captain Bartholomew Roberts, who captured over 400 ships in his days at sea." Bartholomew Roberts, also known as Black Bart, was a Welsh pirate who operated in the Caribbean and the Atlantic Ocean from 1719 to 1722.
>Columbus DIED in 1506
GET OUT OF THE THREAD
>>
The Basque have a few stories of lost fishermen getting lost and finding what sounds like the Grand Banks, but no real proof that's what they were describing or that it's true.
>>
>>398071
yup we also know they went to the azores but that's not mainland anyway
>>
>>399279
noice b8m8

reich is a common jew last name
>>
File: 1423574491625.png (53 KB, 860x650) Image search: [Google]
1423574491625.png
53 KB, 860x650
>>398071

picrel
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.