[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do retards insist on calling Napoleon a dictator when this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: nap.jpg (184 KB, 688x750) Image search: [Google]
nap.jpg
184 KB, 688x750
Why do retards insist on calling Napoleon a dictator when this term was invented to describe authoritarian rulers that came AFTER the age of monarchies?
Every fucking relevant country was ruled by a "dictator" in Napoleon's era, why insist on him being one while seeing the Russian emperor or the Prussian king as regular monarchs?

I bet it's because Hitler made normies mix up the definitions of "dictator" and "conqueror"
No, a dictator isnt "someone who invades foreign countries".
>>
>>392986
It's a 2010's thing; hate just about every european historical figure on the as long as they aren't women.
Not even a /pol/tard, but you KNOW these people are just looking for things to be outraged at. They'll call Napoleon a dictator and Boudicca a heroine for torturing roman women
>>
>The term "dictator" is a modern invention
It's fucking Roman you dolt.
>>
>>393008
Who exactly are "these people"?
>>
>>393027
Clickbaiters
>>
>>393008
Was boudicca sexy?
I like to imagine she was.
>>
>>393027
The complainers, the victims, the weakness of mankind.
>>
>>393037
Pretty sure she was a disgusting savage

She was qt in Civ V tho
>>
File: 1389258767847.jpg (188 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1389258767847.jpg
188 KB, 900x1200
>>393039
>the weakness of mankind
>>
>>392986
He was a 'dictator' because unlike the Russian Tsar or Prussian King he didn't have legitimacy initially, he was given power as consul.

Colin Jones calls him a dictator and they refer to him as a dictator in the oxford short history of modern france so I guess all these PhD historians are wrong and you're right, moron.
>>
File: 1445284314689.jpg (51 KB, 604x483) Image search: [Google]
1445284314689.jpg
51 KB, 604x483
>>392986
Liberals gonna liberal
>>
>>393053
How does that make him any worse than the Russian Tsar who burned his own countryside, thus starving hundreds thousands of his own citizens, just to avoid the humiliation of having to ally Napoleon again?

Napoleon was far from the most brutal and authoritarian european ruler of his time, that's pretty much the contrary
>>
>>393066
>how does that make him any worse

It doesn't? The OP's point was talking about the validity of using the term dictator, which is what I was replying to.
>>
>>392986
>people on /his/ don't know where the term dictator comes from or what it means
>people on /his/ don't realize that Napoleon took over a Republic, not a kingdom
>these very same people will complain about modern historiography
HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR OP AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.
>>
British newspapers and magazines sure publish a shitload of articles about what the French should or shouldn't do.

In my experience the only other people who have this level of obsession about France are Belgians.
>>
>>393053
>he didn't have legitimacy
If you think legitimacy comes from ancestry and the grace of God, instead of the people.

Except there's this whole thing called Enlightenment that happened in the meantime.
>>
>>393095
wowza, the enlightenment happened??

I guess thats why once Napoleon started losing battles he began to act more and more like an ancien regime monarch, because of the spread of all those enlightenment ideas. Right.

Maybe read a book on the period before you open your mouth about it.

>muh enlightenment

Its almost as if classical historic figures weren't mentioned more than any enlightenment philosophe during the revolution
>>
>>393049
>"In stature she was very tall, in appearance most terrifying, in the glance of her eye most fierce, and her voice was harsh; a great mass of the tawniest hair fell to her hips; around her neck was a large golden necklace; and she wore a tunic of divers colours over which a thick mantle was fastened with a brooch. This was her invariable attire..."

Basically she was an Amazon
>>
>>392986
>Dictator was invented after the age of monarchs
Wrong. It was a Roman thing.

>Every relevant country was ruled by a dictator
Wrong. Monarchs have a legitimate rule via claim while dictators take power by force.

>Dictators are a bad thing
Here's your problem. The implication tends to be bad because most dictators were assholes but it's not inherently good or bad.

Napoleon was a dictator by definition. He was also a very good leader.

So you're wrong about most everything you posted.
>>
>>393066
HOW CAN YOU POST ON A HISTORY BOARD AND NOT KNOW THAT THE TERM DICTATOR IS MERELY A DESIGNATION FOR A SPECIFIC POSITION OF POWER THAT WAS OBTAINED IN A SPECIFIC WAY, SO HEREDITARY MONARCHS DON'T FUCKING APPLY WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING ON OUR BOARD WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING LEAVE
>>
>>393105
>once Napoleon started losing battles he began to act more and more like an ancien regime monarch
You maybe got anything at all to back that nonsense up?

And you seriously believe that being descendant of some dark age warlord makes you legitimate, but being elected by the people does not. I'd just like to emphasise that this is the standard by which Napoleon is called a "dictator".
>>
>>393141
>You maybe got anything at all to back that nonsense up?

If you don't know basic facts about him, why post?
>And you seriously believe that being descendant of some dark age warlord makes you legitimate

No I don't, you idiot. We're talking about what people at the time believed not what we believe, it's 'history' remember. Read a fucking book.
>>
>>393052

Nicely memed but isn't it true anon?
>>
>>393158
>everybody knows it!
>read a fucking book!

Get out of this board.
>>
File: 1445638616396.jpg (3 MB, 3000x2400) Image search: [Google]
1445638616396.jpg
3 MB, 3000x2400
>>392986
>the telegraph

Top fucking kek
>>
File: v218-Jeremy-Corbyn-Get-v2.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
v218-Jeremy-Corbyn-Get-v2.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>393227
>i should find source evidence for someone who can't tell the difference between personal opinion and contemporaries thought
>>
>>393083
same
>>
>>393085
They obsess with almost everybody
They like to point at other people's failures to distract themselfs from their own
>>
>>392986
Britsh butthurt about Napoleon never ceases to amuse me.
>>
>>392986
This article is retarded. However, calling Napoleon a dictator in the most neutral, non-judgmental sense is not very far from reality.
>>
>>394010
Don't assume it's the same across the board.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/17/napoleon-dream-died-waterloo-200th-anniversary-triumph-reaction
>>
File: 1385639363018.jpg (950 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
1385639363018.jpg
950 KB, 2592x1944
>>392986
>Why do retards insist on calling Napoleon a dictator when this term was invented to describe authoritarian rulers that came AFTER the age of monarchies?
"Dictator" comes from Roman times, you dumbass.
>>
>>393083
I told my prof. during an Unamuno seminar to read I have no mouth and he made a note of it, but he never got back to me, so maybe he didn't like it ;_;
>>
>>394043
I realize it's not so simple, but I also noticed that Guardian has a more favorable view of Napoleon while Telegraph seems rather divided:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/05/napoleon-the-great-review-andrew-roberts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/11142846/Napoleon-the-Great-Andrew-Roberts-review.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3625978/A-role-model-for-all-dictators.html
>>
>>392986
Because as First Consul, he literally became a Dictator.

Kid, you're so fucking ignorant; dictators are people who receive total power from a Republic and rule this Republic with its own political organs; Camille was a fucking dictator, so was Caesar, and so was Napoleon, especially considering the fact that the terms used to describe his power, back then, were mostly taken from the roman republic.
>>
>>394059
Not OP

You are right, but it had a slightly different meaning back then
>>
>>394138
>dictators are people who receive total power from a Republic

Good to know Lenin and Stalin werent dictators then (Russia didnt pass through a "republic phase" between Tsardom and USSR)
>>
>>395967
Yeah, there has been an abuse and a misuse of the term throughout the last century.
>>
>>395925
Yes and no. During the early republic yes, dictatorship meant something very different from our current understanding. In that instance, it was a temporary position (6 months) of total executive power granted by the senate in times of dire threat to the Republic.

By the end of the Republican era though, it began to take on a connotation that we would understand more today. This was especially true after Marius and Sulla's wars for supremacy and solidified with the ascension of Julius Caesar to the position of Dictator Perpetuo.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.