[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hola. Any of you know good philosophy youtube channels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: tube.png (67 KB, 222x229) Image search: [Google]
tube.png
67 KB, 222x229
Hola. Any of you know good philosophy youtube channels?
>>
>>392915
school of life is actually good
>>
School of life has some interesting videos on specific philosophers and philosophy
But for the most part, it's filled with euro lefty propaganda nonsense
>>
>>392915
pretty sure god isn't a fucking normie REEEEEE
>>
>>393343
>lefty propaganda

the 50s called
>>
File: 1449742958430.jpg (79 KB, 1024x1046) Image search: [Google]
1449742958430.jpg
79 KB, 1024x1046
>>392915
Can God provide me with some qtπ?
>>
>>393351
It really is a dishonest channel. They turn everything in hall-mark wisdom and they don't care if it misrepresents the philosopher.

Good sources
http://historyofphilosophy.net/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEtxsMx4qsoitFwjBdLU_gA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2dyP-OtruM

Anything by a professor or university is good.
>>
>>393372
The video basically says you should have regular sex with your wife, because people who have regular sex dont get divorced.
It fails to consider that the reason people who have regular sex dont get divorced may be that people who love each other have regular sex, and people who love each other dont get divorced.
>>
>>393375
>Anything by a professor or university is good.

This is objectively false, and easy as fuck to prove. Just notice that many professor/university works disagree with each other. Thus they clearly cant be all good.
>>
>>393381
You'll probably learn more from a bad professor than a good gimmick video. The point is that you shouldn't treat learning philosophy, or any serious subject, as pop entertainment.
>>
>>393381
History can be interpreted and weighted many different ways
>>
>>393426
If it can, its bad history. History literally is accounting, there is no wiggle room if you have the required information, and its not real history if you dont.
>>
>>392915
As much as I hate tripfags, >>393425 the tripfag is right.
>>
>>393375
No.

>>393381
>The point is that you shouldn't treat learning philosophy, or any serious subject, as pop entertainment.
Yes.

Read a book instead, OP.
>>
>>392915
I'd love to have sex every Friday, God, but you know what they say - it takes two to tango hahaha
>>
>>393496
>Read a book instead, OP.

Cant read a book while pretending to work at the office, or while casually chatting with friends, or at the gym.
>>
>>393898
Is that supposed to be a point _against_ reading a book? See:

>>393425
>The point is that you shouldn't treat learning philosophy, or any serious subject, as pop entertainment.
>>
>>394506
>>394500
>hurrr durrr you arent allowed to enjoy things and seek convinces

Fuck off.
>>
>>394514
>>hurrr durrr you arent [sic] allowed to enjoy things and seek convinces [sic]

???
>>
>>394528
Video is an easier, more convenient, and often more enjoyable way to gain information.
There is zero benefit to written text over a capable narrator speaking with related images helping explain in the background.
The only reason to dismiss video and praise written text is to be an elitist faggot.
>>
>>394567
Not the guy you replied to, but...
Let's not make this a shitty book vs other media argument.
It is perfectly fine to ask for a channel on philosophy.
>>
>>394567
>Video is an easier, more convenient, and often more enjoyable way to gain information.
[citation needed]

>There is zero benefit to written text over a capable narrator speaking with related images helping explain in the background.
[citation needed]

>The only reason to dismiss video and praise written text is to be an elitist faggot.
[citation needed]

Not that that has anything to do with my reply to >>393898.
>>
>>394642
You ask me to prove the lack of benefits of written text over video?
I think you need to go to youtube and look up some philosophy, mate, because your ability to argue is very limited.
>>
>>394681
>You ask me to prove the lack of benefits of written text over video?
Whoops, my mistake. I withdraw my second [citation needed].

The other 2 remain, however.

>your ability to argue is very limited.
Your reading comprehension is very limited, for I have presented no arguments thus far.
>>
>>393375
>>393425

Not only this, but Alain de Botton has made the "popifying" (goes beyond mere popularizing) of philosophy his explicit goal. The idea is to get people engaged with philosophy and literature by turning it into entertainment, because something is better than nothing.

While I agree that something is better than nothing, any lecture completely blows School of Life out of the water. And I doubt de Botton would disagree, if people listened to lectures on philosophy on the regular he'd have never made the School of Life channel or site.

And I do mean ANY lecture. Even a bad lecture can be better simply through challenging you to find and correct its flaws. Comparatively in a snippy lil' youtube video there just isn't enough material to engage with at all.
>>
>>392915
>Any of you know good philosophy youtube channels?

Gregory Sadler is a bro-tier professor of philosophy that makes a lot of good content.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gbisadler
>>
>>393375

This. Stay away from YouTube philosophers
>>
>>393340
>>393343

fuck no
>>
>>393378
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
>>
>>392915
>Hola. Any of you know good philosophy youtube channels?
Wes Cecil is quite excellent, and the Partially Examined Life has their podcast stuff and some other assorted things (like a lecture series by Rick Roderick).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ff15w4ufviWfv9UfIuByA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfIlebELntOVWYe0KupOtw
>>
File: breakfast.jpg (72 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
breakfast.jpg
72 KB, 800x600
>>394809
>>394912
Good posts, thanks.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.