[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where can i start learning religion? kinda interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: a.jpg (15 KB, 238x259) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
15 KB, 238x259
where can i start learning religion? kinda interested
>>
Learn about or start believing in?
>>
>>391327
learn about it.since i think im a fool if i believe religion but i know nothing about it.fyi im christian
>>
File: 242341.jpg (25 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
242341.jpg
25 KB, 226x346
>>391323
Karen Armstrong's The Great Transformation is definitely an excellent start, it covers the history of almost all of the major religions of the past and present. Her other book, The History of God, is also extremely good but more focused on the Abrahamic religions.
>>
Read the holy texts if you want to get sucked in.
Read critiques or listen to lectures or debates or historical sources about these religions if you want to learn about them.

Aquinas and Kierkegaard are great for Christianity.

Abdal Hakim Murad and Reza Aslan great for Islam.
>>
>>391369
I doubt nuanced theology and philosophy is where he should start for learning about religion. He should explore the history and basic structure of all the religions, then delve into more research on one in particular if he finds it interesting.
>>
>>391358
thanks.i actually started to interest about learning religion since my friend talk about science and he found some community that found out that jesus is not born like in the bible
>>
>>391381
If you're interested in that topic, then read the History section of the Nativity page:

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativity_of_Jesus#Historical_analysis

Always try to look for some unbiased historical analysis when researching. Otherwise you're just gonna fall for someone's ideology.
>>
>>391369
i dont really want to specific about the main religion.i want to like know about all the religion since i think its connected am i right?
>>
>>391392
>am i right?

Yes, that is definitely a good way to start.
>>
>>391323
Where are you from?
How is someone raised without knowledge of religion?
>>
File: Maiden in Bonnet.jpg (440 KB, 550x671) Image search: [Google]
Maiden in Bonnet.jpg
440 KB, 550x671
>>391323
It is excessively difficult to find books on learning about religions generally that actually teaches them comprehensively. Usually you'll run into an issue where people only talk of one faith or a small handful and fuck up and generalize all religious systems based on knowledge about 1-2. You're better looking into religions separately or looking into comparison reading.

I would suggest:

>God Is Not One by Prothero
>Understanding World Religions: An Interdisciplinary Approach by Hexham.
>God and Philosophy by Gilson
>Scholasticism by Cabezon
>Mystics and Zen Masters (since you're a Christian)

This is listed in order of complexity. The simpler something is, the higher it is on the list. The first book is for teaching basically a high schooler and it leads us into a much richer discussion as the list goes on.

I would not suggest looking into the Holy Texts themselves unless you carry with you commentaries to help you understand their systems along the way.
>>
>>391546
Could you please stop spamming your Catholic and scholasticism agenda in every thread?

Thanks
>>
>>391552
Mate what
>>
>>391520
im asian and actually i know but i want to know more
>>
>>391356
Islam

No one know shit about it but >muh violence
>>
>>391552

Wolfsheim suffers from Aquinian autism, he can't help it
>>
>>391520
Not OP but I was raised in France and barely had any idea what religion was until my 20's
>>
>>391323
>>391356
I think your best bet would be to first get an overview of their early history to understand where they came from, before delving into the intricacies of their theology.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.