[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why suicide isn't accepted in western society?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: 1364871383031.jpg (43 KB, 480x459) Image search: [Google]
1364871383031.jpg
43 KB, 480x459
Why suicide isn't accepted in western society?
>>
God ses no
>>
Because it causes others grief.
>>
File: Assbaby.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Assbaby.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>389866

Because it's your mother's job to kill you. Assbortion for the win!
>>
Suicide's for pussies
>>
Because the desire to commit suicide is usually due to depression which is treatable.

/thread
>>
>>390049
>implying society knows what depression is and not just assumes people are just weak enough to get depression.
Here in states,people would assume your weak for even getting depression."Because if I can snap out of sadness why cant you? " mentality
>>
>>389866
It shouldn't be. People who try and fail regret it. Almost every time.
>>
>>390127
The fuck are you even arguing? And the US isn't even bad in it's awareness of psychological disorders compared to a lot of other countries. Look at Japan.

Also you shouldn't be taking your psychological maladies to your grandparents of all people.
>>
>>389866
It used to be but Crhistfaggotry says no

Just look at Romans and MUH DIGNITAS. Its almost Asian.
>>
>>390049
But what about suicide caused by things other than depression? Like people who have some terrible illness and prefer to die early rather than live a bit longer and suffer horribly? Why is that still taboo?
>>
Society disapproves when people take action that shows them having complete control over their own bodies.
>>
>>390131
and then attempt it again
>>
Becayse we need slave labor.
>>
>>390180
What terrible illness? There are treatments of varying effectiveness for chronic pain. The exceptions are too rare to make laws for.
>>
>>389866
Wasn't Buwowski a huge edgelord? He wrote fucking Fight Club for fuck's sake.
Also that quote reads like communist propaganda, was he a Marxist?
>>
>>390189
This.

Anti-suiciders are like babies crying because one of the other kids isn't playing the game by their rules.
>y-you can't do this! if you do this i'm gonna call you irrational and a coward
I'm sure that means a lot to a corpse
>>
Selfish people wanting others to stay alive in misery just because they don't want to feel grief. That's how the whole "suicide is a hurtful act" meme came to be. Selfish cancer.
>>
>>389866
because quitting is never acceptable.
>>
Like many things in society, it is considered taboo because allowing individuals to do that without consequence would be destructive to society.

A society is a superorganism, like any organism it will work to preserve itself.
>>
>>390364
>>390189
Nah, you're just dumb. Most people who want to commit suicide are just depressed.
>>
>>390397
So?
>>
Suicide is damaging government property
>>
>>390360
Bukowski wrote Fight Club? oh boy...
>>
>>390404
He wrote the book, not the movie.
But yeah he was a misanthrope, aka a edgelord.
>>
>>390397
So, they're depressed. What of it? Why shouldn't they be allowed to commit suicide anyways?
It can't be because they'd leave a family behind, people are allowed to get divorces.
>>
It's disapproved of because it's harmful to the collective overall.

Usually collective > individual.
>>
>>390400
Depression is just a neurochemical imbalance and can be treated with therapy sessions or antidepressants. They always regret the desire to commit suicide when they exit their depressed state.

No one would want friends and family to just stand back and let them die just because they had a fleeting lapse in judgement.
>>
>>390411
Because depression isn't fleeting and treatable. Sometimes you can't control your state of mind. Everyone who survives suicide attempts regrets their attempt.

You don't know anything about depression desu.
>>
>>390409
You're thinking of Chuck Palahniuk, you buffoon
>>
>>390049
this. it's scientifically correlated with a neurotransmitter deficiency and can be measured almost every time.

people who disagree are going against empirical evidence, and possibly have a deficiency of their own.
>>
>>390049
>>390422
As a depressed person living with depression for 15+ years, I see these statements are foolish. It just perpetuates the notion that depression is something that can be beat with will power.

Its known that its a neurochemical imbalance. But there isn't a cure for depression that works on everybody. People with major depression always relapse. The amount of drugs/medications I've taken only helps temporarily, and thats at the cost of my own rational.

In the future, depression would probably be curable, but not right now. Current year psychological treatments are still in its infancy and the treatments are hit/miss depending on person to person. I know since I've talked to others suffering from major depression like myself.
>>
>>390458
uh you're right, how embarassing
wonder where my confusion came from
>>
>>390497
On top of this.

>>390049
Even if you accept this as the truth, it still doesn't explain historical disavowment of suicide in the western society.
>>
>>390504
Your own mental midgetry
>>
>>390511
Quiet you! Take your dubs and shove it!
>>
File: depression.jpg (186 KB, 500x685) Image search: [Google]
depression.jpg
186 KB, 500x685
>>390497
>As a depressed person living with depression for 15+ years, I see these statements are foolish. It just perpetuates the notion that depression is something that can be beat with will power.
No you worthless excuse of a human being. Depression is something you can treat with therapy, not will power. You need outside help else it wouldn't be depression.

I'm just messing with you. I'm certain you are beautiful person through and through.
>>
I really enjoy Socrates' oppositional dialogue to suicide: "If you created a toy, and that toy became sentient, would you be upset of its own demolition?"
>>
>>390504
They're both satirical authors? Sorry for calling you a buffoon-we all have our brain farts.
>>
Name 5 eastern societies that openly accept suicide
>>
>>390432
>Sometimes you can't control your state of mind

Bullshit
>>
File: 1317355572758.png (214 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1317355572758.png
214 KB, 400x399
>>390529
>treat with therapy
I'd say I've taken roughly 7 years of therapy in and out total.

Its not curable. You can only set the depression back 1-2 years at max. Thats with constant therapy sessions (2-3 times a week) and medications (multiple times daily).

So I don't get your statements. Where are you getting these facts?
>>
>>390567
You can learn to control your state of mind, but for those who've yet to learn this is true.
>>
>>390579
I didn't say cure. I said treatment.
>>
>>390594
Semantics. You can treat something with little success.
>>
>>389866
Why is Bukowski such a huge faggot?
>>
>>390602
See, now you are saying something different. You are saying the treatment isn't working and that you are absolutely no better off than if you weren't receiving the treatment.

I would believe you are an exceptional case.
>>
>>390619
That's not what I've said. I've merely stated that there is no cure for depression and treatments only suppress the current episode with a good chance of relapse within a year or so.

This is merely to counter the original "depression is treatable" bullshit statement. First, depressed people don't desire suicide. Suicide is a last choice for depressed people. Second, depression can't be cured for many people and at best, it merely delays.
>>
>>390661
It is treatable as you just said. You are being treated and it's helping you. It sounds like you are now saying "treatment doesn't exist because I'm being treated and I'm not utterly cured so it's not actually treatment".

You are being helped, that's treatment, and you are saying it's working by disagreeing with my last post.
>>
>>389866
because the ubiquitous decadent hatred of this world obligates all to suffer it
>>
>>390360
Please consider suicide.
>>
>>390661
I think it's also important to point out that a "treatment" for depression is also a lot more holistic than, say, a treatment for high cholesterol would be. For therapy to have good outcomes, you actually have to change how you think, and that often involves overcoming actual physiological differences between you and a non-depressed person. It requires a lot more work on the part of the patient than just taking your Zoloft and waiting for life to happen. When you say that people with depression should just go to therapy to get better, you may as well say that if a fat person wants to run a marathon, all he has to do is show up at the gym and look cool. Put in that, unlike the fat guy, the depressive often has zero motivation to do anything, therapy alone (and even medication) often have little, zero or even negative (as in my case) effects on the person, so to say that a person doesn't benefit from therapy is exceptional is a serious stretch, because therapy doesn't really help people with actual mental disorders at all.

To stretch my metaphor even further, a lot of fatties aren't going to like the gym as a mode of exercise, and prefer something else, like hiking or roller skating. (Despite was /fit/ says) you can still get in shape doing those things. It's the same for depressed people. Therapy isn't a one-track cure for everyone, and maybe not even the most effective. It's just the most recommended track.

You suck. You should try being depressed for years and see how easy it is to get out of it.
>>
>>390677
You are making your own conclusions from your own bias.

Nowhere did I say treatment doesn't exit. Nowhere did I say treatment helps.

Your bias clouds yourself from making objective statements and drawing objective conclusions.
>>
>>390729
I'm going by what you are saying. You disagreed with me implying that your treatment isn't having helping at all. I stated this this to you and you disagreed, which means your treatment IS helping you.
>>
>>390246
Underrated post
>>
>>390497
You sound more whinier than you do depressed, I bet you use it as a crutch at every possible opportunity because its more habit than it is actual depression.
>>
society doesn't like the burden of your death
>>
>>389866
Because if you commit suicide you can no longer work and therefore cannot produce money for the capitalist system. You're just a cog. If a cog breaks of course the owner will be pissed
>>
File: 1423457606609.png (191 KB, 300x411) Image search: [Google]
1423457606609.png
191 KB, 300x411
>>389866
>That picture

Because i'm not a worthless piece of shit who expects shit to be handed to me for free.

Also, I feel extremely satisfied with myself after a job well done.
>>
>>391508
>Also, I feel extremely satisfied with myself after a job well done.

Holy fuck this. Find a work you burn for, that you're passionate about, and you won't have these thoughts.

As long as you can be passionate about something you'll be fine.
>>
>>391508
>Also, I feel extremely satisfied with myself after a job well done.
I do too, if the job is designated by me and fulfilled by me.
>>
>>390049
My depression is caused by being a 5'4 manlet who will never get pussy in his life.

So yeah, not fucking treatable, faggot.
>>
>>391508
hey asswit, its called empathy. And what the fuck do you know about any fucking hard work?
>>
>>391542
I empathize with people who work hard to get what they want out of life, but I have no pity for free-loaders and worthless fucking hippies who use "muh feels" to justify the state giving them "free" shit by stealing from people who actually work.
>>
>>391559
its not about the feels or the state or any of that, its about being on a fucking planet where you have to pay to live. Its about being on a fucking rock in space where nothing matters but you have to get up and go to work for a boss you hate! jesus just use your brain, no one gives a fuck about your 'good work attitude' you'll be dead soon just like everyone else asshole. You don't need to reply and tell everyone how good of a worker bee you are. Just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>391566
I get up and go to work everyday because it furthers my goals you fucking pleb. I also partially do it because, surprise! Some people actually like working and get a sense of fulfillment out of it.

Come back when you graduate high school kid.
>>
>>391508
BUT MUH CLASSES
YOUR HARD WORK IS ACTUALLY BEING USED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND RICH PEOPLE AND ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH
WAKE UP SHEEPLE
>>
>>391537
Matt, is that you
>>
>>391519
Part of the cause of depression is the inability to be passionate about anything no matter how hard you try
>>
>>392245
Chronic chemical depression sure, but your average depressed person just needs a little help finding the fire in their life.

I am still one of those people, I've been depressed for a long time, but I go to therapy and I'm looking for what makes me happy.
>>
File: salty.png (581 KB, 599x825) Image search: [Google]
salty.png
581 KB, 599x825
>>391566
>we are going to die, so there is no reason to do anything
Yeah, sure. Might as well kill ourselves now.
>where you have to pay to live
You do realize that man is dependent on society as much as society is dependent on man, right? Other people preform services (protection, production, government, etc) and for that they are paid. These services are necessary, integral. An idle man doesn't benefit society in any way, so there is no reason for the society to sustain him.
>where you have to get up and work for a boss you hate
You don't, though. You can go and be homeless. Or try to form a company. Or choose another job. No one is forcing you to work anywhere in particular.
>Nothing matters! You'll die someday! Use your brain you idiot!
Yeah, you sure showed him.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.