[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's no reason why there can't be a god, Heck the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1438314382359.jpg (66 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
1438314382359.jpg
66 KB, 600x412
There's no reason why there can't be a god, Heck the subconscious is a force which controls our life's for us, how is that not a god?

The reason why "god is dead" is because christians put people before god, theres nothing wrong with that, but it is the reason why we have atheism. Look at christian art, it's all saints and jesus but no god.
>>
>Heck the subconscious is a force which controls our life's for us, how is that not a god?

The subconscious was actually a problem for the religion. If what you said true, that it controls us, than how do you maintain the concept of sin. If my subconscious controls me to sin than wheres the free ill in there? This is especially troubling considering that our subconscious is literally always at work. Why would God even make such a thing?

>The reason why "god is dead" is because christians put people before god
The quote has nothing to do with humanism. The quote is how have simply advanced to the point where belief is no longer possible.
>>
>>387931
Subconscious is the BIOS of our bodies, and to some extent our OS. Most of our OS is learned (routines), but since clearly our life isn't a complex sum of reflexes, I'd say that we have a choice. Or I do.
>>
>>386986
Really? You can't think up a single reason as of why there can't be a God?
>>
File: atheism.png (557 KB, 800x1188) Image search: [Google]
atheism.png
557 KB, 800x1188
>>388051
>>
File: 1383163042484[1].png (35 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1383163042484[1].png
35 KB, 700x700
>>387931
>The quote is how have simply advanced to the point where belief is no longer possible.

I'd like to object and point towards Nietzsche and his book The Gay Science, both being heavily quoted when talking about "God is dead".

Here's the whole text.

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/madman.html

It's merely an expression of God having little relevance in today's world. It has nothing to do with believing or god or not, but the fact that believing in god or not doesn't really matter because the church doesn't act as a major cultural player anymore.
>>
>>388062
I actually am a theist. I just used a way to explain the nature of our physical bodies and the limitations they bring to us.

Now, when that has been established, we could easily see the struggle for more control within as a valid concern; simply to point out 'who am I'.
>>
>>386986
"God" is a dumb word, it can refer to almost anything. Think of specific sets of properties, not just the word "god". Some sets of properties could describe something that exists, but some sets couldn't.

"God" needs to be tabooed as a word so we know what we are actually talking about.
>>
>Heck the subconscious is a force which controls our life's for us, how is that not a god?

No, it's not a force, but an assumption. Your assumption
>>
>>388051
>clearly our life is not a complex sum of reflexes
This is not very clear t b h
>>
>>389966
This.
>>
>>386986

So the god that every religious person believes in doesn't exist?

Okay.

It's just the subconscious.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.