[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are these books accurate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 9781855328679_1.jpg (36 KB, 300x403) Image search: [Google]
9781855328679_1.jpg
36 KB, 300x403
Are these books accurate?
>>
>>386814
I imagine it varies, it is a large imprint with many authors, and while it is relatively easy to check an author's credentials, their sources, and academic background the odd nationalistic circlejerker or -aboo might slip through.
>>
>>386814
Corinthian helmet was already out of fashion by that period.
>>
>>386814
Kinda. The illustrations are rather old now and reflect previous understandings of history. Also >>386841
>>
>>386814
Osprey are a publisher of mixed quality. They have a more grog-modeller range and a more milhist range. The more towards the scholarly end, SURPRISE, the more trustworthy the works in general.

Steal them, don't fucking buy them. Unless you're buying a scholarly work and going to use it as a jumping off point for dense reading around a theme.
>>
>>386814
Depends
>1800's Up
Accurate. To the point of autism
>1700's
Meh
>1600's Western Downwards.
Really Meh quality. But still workable.
>1600's Asian books
SENSATIONALISM, SENSATIONALISM EVERYWHERE. HALF-WRITTEN TRUTHS. NON-LOOKING AT FIRSTHAND SOURCES DUE TO INABILITY TO READ GOOKRUNES.

Look at this

LOOK

It took ninjas seriously
Also
>Bamboo pole spear shafts
Fucking hell.
>>
>>386903
That artist does D&D books.
>>
>>386903

What the fuck is going on in that pic? It doesn't seem as if anything is coordinated at all.

That Ninja on the right kicking that braizer? What's he thinking? "Stupid fire, I'm gonna show you!"

And that explosion on the left? What's that soldier doing?
>>
>>386814
Maybe not 100%, nothing is, and some are oudated, but unless you want to read over archaeological papers and gigantic books then they're your best bet for a general overview.
>>
>>386903
The eighties were a strange time.
>>
>>386814

They're beginners guides, meant to tell autist wargamers what colour they should paint their figurines. They are excellent in that regard, but once you get beyond the beginners stage, you can see the cracks.

Remember also, that in most cases, the artist for the plates, is just that. An artist, not an historian of any kind.

Also some of them are old. Very old. But still in print.
>>
>>386935

The guy in the mask is a inhabitants, Killing the other guy while he's distracted.
>>
>>386966

"A inhabitants" should be "a ninja".

Wtf autocorrect?
>>
>>386935
>No matter what board I'm on, people are confused by Wayne Reynolds art.
>>
>>386966
>guy in the mask
Back to >>>/tv/ with you
>>
>>386903
fuck yo campfire nigga
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.