[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
German Samoa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: horrified-baby-face.jpg (43 KB, 493x550) Image search: [Google]
horrified-baby-face.jpg
43 KB, 493x550
So, during the 14 years Germany owned some of Samoa, did this colonization help both parties? Was is parasitic? Help a student out.

I can't find primary sources in English to save my life.
>>
>>385981
Who is a party? Is a state a party? A nation a party? Classes of people a party? The Chiefs? The Kaiser? Die Krupps?

What is "help"?

>primary sources in English

Yeah good luck with that. Try the Samoan national library?
>>
>>385981
Mixed German Samoan were quite well off because they often times were their fathers only heirs, can't say much else other than at its peak their were 600 Europeans on the island including mixed race children.
>>
>>385990
NZ I think runs through a national museum rather than a library, but I think they have a decent oceanian collection. I think Australian National University has a library with a collection of oceanian stuff.
>>
>>386006
>were quite well off
Again, what do you mean by this. What is it to "do good"? What cultural meaning allowed them to believe they were well off in the world? Does transnationality have something to do with this? Encounter? Unpack the cultural meaning, and the basis within which that has meaning.

I sincerely hope you aren't using "by my perspectives in 2015 as someone who has to do an essay" as your definition of what "good" is.
>>
>>386013
Op here.

I know Germans built much infrastructure, roads, hospitals, etc, and the leader of ten years was respectful of samoan customs, as respectful as Europeans could be back then.
>>
>>386013
They utilized Samoan kin networks and western education/wealth putting them in a better socio-economic position to both Europeans and full natives.

I never used the word good.
>>386121
They at that pointof their colonialism in Oceania were admittingly only working with natives because they could not possibly go to war with them like in Namibia.
>>
>>386136
So you would say they both benefitted from this situation? Econically? Politically? Socially? What other ways?
>>
>>386185
I mean they only benefited in as much that they typically had fathers who acknowledged them. Whereas Samoan Autonomy overall was hampered and they remained colonial subjects only this time to NZ.

I don't like using the word "benefit" Germans were coming to the island tobgive technology to everyone simply for the sake of it, they very clearly have Imperialistic goals in mind and wished to exploit natives, their knowledge and natural resources mostly for their own gain.
>>
>>386200
Weren't going.
>>
>>386200
Goals and actuallizationd are different though. There goal was to make money, and that they did, even though I can't find any proof in English... They still "modernized" the island, did they not?
>>
>>386200
Way to subsume all Samoans under the chiefs.
>>
>>386211
I mean they built infrastructure to facilitate the movement of goods out of the island if that's modernizing to you then yes. The people weren't really kept in mind, the goods were.
>>
>>385990
Is english your first language?
it's obvious what he meant by "help" and "parties", autist
>>
>>386248
Not really, it is standard fucking fare to subsume the labouring classes' interests beneath the state's interest and for the state to stand in as a neutral fucking arbiter of the true.

There's nothing wrong with OP telling a nice little pseudo-haigographical tale about the Germans, as long as 1) it is true, 2) OP doesn't make value judgements, 3) OP unpacks the implicit value judgements contained in the question and argues for them or against them (or most preferred by historians) that value judgements are anachronistic bullshit.

Unfuck your head, new guy.
>>
>>386255
Elaborate on value judgements.
>>
>>386920
Value judgements are an adequate thing for political debate or moral argument, they are a reasonable thing for human beings to conduct on boards fit for their purpose: >>>/pol/ >>>/int/

But for historiography we refrain from "judging" the past. Instead we evaluate the past, in its own terms and categories from primary and secondary sources, seeking to uncover "the past as it was," even if as Marxist historians do from the categories which were present in the social reproduction of the past. Yet still Marxist historians refrain, specifically, from judging the past in contemporary terms. It is another people's business for another place. We are historians, we do better, we present the least worst account of the past that people are capable of.
>>
While we're on the topic, anyone have any sources on German-Samoan creoles/pidgins?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.