[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wehraboos, explain yourselves.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: BismarckArbeitszimmer1886rest.jpg (211 KB, 574x671) Image search: [Google]
BismarckArbeitszimmer1886rest.jpg
211 KB, 574x671
Has Germany, in it's history as a unified state, ever won a war?
>>
>>384857
Technically they beat the Ruskis in World War 1.
>>
Sacked Rome in 410

>N-nuh uh, everybody from that era was just mongol aliens that got on their spaceships and left and everybody now is just albino africans!
>>
>>384873
But is that a war or part of world war one?

>>384875
Germany did?
>>
>>384857

Holy Roman Empire was involved in the crusades I guess.

Germany as a whole is a nation of artists, musicians and scientists who desperately want to play soldier.
>>
>>384857
The Franco-Prussian War and the Boxer Rebellion.
>>
>>384900
>>384905
>franco prussian war
The conflict was caused by Prussian ambitions to extend German unification, not by a unified Germany.
Boxer Rebellion I'll give to you, that was a pretty badass affair.
>>
>>384940
The German Empire was proclaimed in 18 January 1871, the Franco-Prussian War ended in March, so Germany as an unified state won the war.
>>
>>384950
Actually, the war ended in May*
>>
>>384905
Franco-Prussian war was Prussia (it was already unified with the northern states but not the southern states like Baden, Bavaria and I think Wurttemburg)
>>
>>384959
At the beggining, halfway through it was the united forces of the German Empire.
>>
>>384959

Also Hesse.

That being said do we bother counting Switzerland, Austria and Holland as German states?
>>
>>384972
>Switzerland
It is dominated by Germans, but it's more the union of German, French and Italian communities.
>Austria
It considered itself as a German state until the "first victim of Nazism" meme
>Holland
Not since 1568, maybe earlier.
>>
Abushiri Revolt
Second Samoan Civil War
Boxer Rebellion
Adamawa Campaign
Herero Wars
Maji Maji Rebellion
Sokehs Rebellion

>>>/lit/
>>
There's something heroic in taking on your entire continent + friends and almost single-handedly and giving them a run for their money
>>
>>384875
>Visigoths
>unified German state
That's like saying Ireland sacked Rome in 390BC
>>
>>385046
The Swedes deposed Odoacer and established an efficient Italian state, srly srly.
>>
>>384896
They surrendered so yeah I'd say they won the war
>>
Victory in war is not necessarily an indicator of military competency, especially in a period of transition away from martial prowess under towards logistical and industrial efficiency.
The wehrmacht was a good army, it's just that having a good army wasn't/isn't enough these days.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.