[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Death of Jesus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Yeshua.jpg (385 KB, 1100x2127) Image search: [Google]
Yeshua.jpg
385 KB, 1100x2127
Why did the Jews kill Jesus?
>>
>>384155

They didn't. Pilate killed Jesus,who, if prompted at all, was encouraged by the Sadducee party, which was a minority of Jews.
>>
>>384155
this artwork is so genius
>>
>>384886
Christ Pantocrator? It's been done hundreds of times.
>>
Because they didn't want someone taking their authority
>>
>>384886
>"guys I'm gonna paint jeezus"
>"yah aight brah"
>painter uses himself as a model
>painter has half the face done but has a suddenly mild stroke
>"fck t"
>still uses himself as model
>no one says anything because that's kind of insensitive really, instead they make up bullshit about why it's so different
>>
From the outside it looked like a really weird and dangerous cult for both the Romans and the Jews
>>
>why did the Pharisees kill someone who was publicly denouncing them and preaching contrary doctrines and attracting a massive following
>>
>>384155
I think most things concerning the trial and death of Jesus.
The various events surrounding the trial would require favoritism towards the Jews of which there is no evidence (Show-trial, getting to free a prisoner who is inexplicably named Jesus Son of the Father).

The trial is incredibly inaccurate to the laws used by the court (held at night, private residence, Jesus is given no warning for his blasphemy, Jesus is convicted with no evidence but his own confession, unanimous conviction is a success, Jesus is turned over to the romans).

There was no recorded rising of the dead and an eclipse can't occur on passover.
>>
>>384155
He was a theological reformer and radical anarcho-theocrat that threatened the authority of the Sanhedrin and the delicate balance of the existence of the Judean people under pagan Roman rule.
>>
>>384903

true but always had a thing for eastern orthodox art.
>>
File: zombie.jpg (69 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
zombie.jpg
69 KB, 540x720
>>384155
>Why did the Jews kill Jesus?
How can you kill someone that can't die? Check mate atheists.
>>
>>384155
they had to shut him down because da goyim knew
>>
Because "God" actually existing as a knowable being is incompatible with Judaism.
>>
>>384161
Still most Jews at the time would have heard about Jesus and they probably knew that he was going to be put to death. The great crowd of Jews in Jeurusalem, the capital city, all cheered for his destruction. If we take that crowd as a kind of strawpoll, then it is a good litmas test for what the majority of Jews thought of and wished for their Messiah, as was prophecied. Also Pilate didn't want to kill him, but the Jews insisted.
>>
>>384934
There is loads of favouritism towards the Jews. The Romans let them keep their Holy days and rituals alive. No other colony was spared this.

The trial wasn't held at night, it was held at 8 or 9 in the morning. Private residence? I don't even.. Eclipse? darkness during the day does not equal eclipse you miopic toadlicker.
>>
>>384155
To fulfill the prophecy.
>>
>>385124
>THIS is the best reading of that bible passage americans can come up with

Horrible. No wonder Christianity is losing its appeal.
>>
>>384155
They didn't, the romans did.
>>
>>386764
Well, did this favoritism come about before or after the jews started several large-scale rebellions?
>>
>>384931
You're a moron.
>>
>>386787
Was Jesus active before or after Rome laid seige to Jeursalem and destroyed the Temple?
>>
>>386827
Well, before.
>>
>>386838
Well, before then.
>>
>>386764
There's still no particular record of them being allowed to free a prisoner. And it's unlikely that they would hold a court.
Pilate also grants the request to have prisoners legs broken in John, which also raises the question of why the executions were even scheduled almost immediately before the Sabbath. The fact that Jesus died in a few hours is also a bit off.

I was mistaken about the trial being held at night I think. I can't find a decent source for it, I think I might have just confused it for Jesus capture which was at night. I was probably wrong in that regard.
The trial was held in a private residence, namely in house of the high priest caiaphas.
The trial still breaks the law of the Sanhedrin by having Christ convicted by his own admission and having the conviction be unanimous.

3 hours of darkness is only really refered to as something approaching an eclipse in Luke (The suns light failed) I guess. It's possible that Matthew and Mark were corrected since it's obvious that an eclipse is impossible at that time but Luke which copied portions of text from Mark as well could have remained unscathed or it could simply be Luke that's wrong.

The reason the text you are quoting looks weird and out of context is because someone else copied the text I used in a previous bible argument thread.
>>
The Jews had no fucking powers. They were completely controlled by the Romans. The very idea that they could control Pilate is ridiculously. Pilate was infamous for his attitude of not giving a shit about the people he governed.

So the question is what did Jesus do to piss off the local government? Was he planning a rebellion?

Also Jesus was himself a Jew so where all his 1st generation followers.
>>
>>386804
Sweet argument dude. You really showed him
>>
>>387654
Pilates job was to manage his province and avoid unrest. Appealing a ferverent bunch of zealots in their holy city regarding a blasphemer seems like the logical choice to be honest familia
>>
>>386760

>Believing the gospels at face value.

Go on, show me some independent corroboration that the "passover pardon" existed.

For that matter, don't you think it's a bit strange that the crowd also chants for the release of "Barabbas", an aramaic term for "Son of the Father"? Especially since quite a few manuscripts call him "Jesus Barabbas"?
>>
>>387687

And Pilate got recalled from his job because he didn't exactly avoid unrest.

>I sent you to shear the sheep of Judah, not flay it.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.