[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have any recommendations of books that capture how truly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 435453465367.jpg (79 KB, 598x480) Image search: [Google]
435453465367.jpg
79 KB, 598x480
Anyone have any recommendations of books that capture how truly hellish fighting in Vietnam was? Like having to go on patrol, ambushes, guerrilla warfare, and the elements.

Also Vietnam War general. Was reading about Frances experience in the 50s. Poor French Foreign Legion got absolutely raped over there. It was interesting how they would only send colonial and non native French soldiers to Nam in order to keep the population from losing their shit.
>>
File: rleeermey.jpg (20 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
rleeermey.jpg
20 KB, 410x500
>be in Vietnam
>shoot up some heroin
>it ain't me starts playing

If I was in Nam I would be the biggest drug addict possible.
>>
File: A1NXIQEo+YL.jpg (1 MB, 1738x2560) Image search: [Google]
A1NXIQEo+YL.jpg
1 MB, 1738x2560
>>383313
This book is about everything you listed.
>>
It was way more hellish for the nva than u.s. soldiers.

>flamethrowers
>napalm bombings
>agrnt orange
>SAbotaged supply lines/no food
>human wave tactics
>>
>>383313
The things they carried is pretty good, not much combat though.
>>
>>383330

>If I was in Nam I would be the biggest drug addict possible.

You wouldn't be alone.
>>
>>384384
what were the historical methods of acquiring these drugs?
>>
>>384368
>The things they carried is pretty good, not much combat though.
is fiction.

>>384328
I'm assuming this is a bioconfessional?

>>384363
And it was worse for the PLAF mainline, regional and local forces than it was for the PAVN.

Try
Burchett:
My Visit to the Liberated Zones of South Vietnam (1964), Foreign Languages Publishing House - Hanoi.
Vietnam: The inside story of a Guerrilla War (1965), International Publishers.
Eyewitness in Vietnam (1965), published by The Daily Worker - London (UK).

You need to know how to read for bias, but hey, taking down helicopters and M113s with mortars and machine guns, stolen off the ARVN in battle.
>>
>>384394

I have no idea, but every Vietnam veteran I've ever met has said they were fucking everything.
>>
>>384363
>human wave tactics
Used minimally, only when they wanted to deny airstrikes/artillery by standing in us parameters.
>>
>>384363

The Vietcong weren't human wavers. They were sneeki breeki types.
>>
>>384421
>I have no idea
So why the fuck are you posting. Do you think we want to lave your balls because you had an opinion. Opinions are like arseholes, and first years are loose and uninformed. It takes a PhD student to get me hard for some tight rear quim. Stop leaking shit from your fucked out hole mate. It's just ideology coming back as santorum.

>>384394
Thailand was a US whorecamp. The urban centres of the South were run by corrupt Catholic comprador elites and corrupt Chinese diaspora merchants. Both of whom became heavily involved in the heroin trade.

The US armed forces were both unwilling and powerless to stop this. Significant amounts of US, Japanese and Korean capital circulated through South Vietnam's white, grey and black economies.
>>
>>384452
Please, please for the sake of christ on a cross learn the difference between the PAVN and the PLAF, their forces, their dispositions, their doctrines, their operations, their capacities, and their uses.
>>
File: 9780743261043-l.jpg (37 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
9780743261043-l.jpg
37 KB, 395x600
"Rumor of War" hits your mark as good as any other book could. I read another work by Caputo for a research paper in one of my classes, "13 Seconds: A Look Back At the Kent State Shootings", and I think he's a very good writer, keeps things short and is never too wordy.

"They Marched Into Sunlight" is far and away my favorite book on the era though and is one of my favorite history books in general. Deals both with experiences in Vietnam and the anti-war movement back home. Managed to track down and interview one of the soldiers mentioned in the book who was from my hometown for that same class, even he gave the book rave reviews and he hated pretty much anything that was even slightly anti-war.
>>
File: iu-2.jpg (191 KB, 736x1140) Image search: [Google]
iu-2.jpg
191 KB, 736x1140
I'll forever shill this as one of the best books about IT AINT ME. It's not from a grunts perspective, but its still intense as all fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 232x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 232x300
We Were Soldiers Once... And Young

Good and very detailed account of the Battle of Ia Drang, I enjoyed it a lot.

Does anyone know any good books about US Marines in Vietnam?
>>
>>384757
The best chapter is the Epilogue.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 299x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 299x500
>>383313
>that feel when you'll never be a 5'8 husk of a man who lives solely to kill Vietnamese with a 10 gauge shotgun in claustrophobia-inducing tunnels
what's the point in living
>>
>>383330
Is calling Fortunate Son 'It Aint Me' some hot buttered même that I missed?
>>
>>384825
yes
>>
>>384825
where have you been?
>>
>>386156
I've seen it come up, but I don't know the origin.
>>
>>386296
/tv/, lik most other dank memes.
>>
I dunno about you guys but I think being in LRP in Vietnam and high is the most trippy existence. I couldn't function.
>>
>>383313
The Things they Carried is pretty good.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.