[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is your favourite New Atheist /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15
File: four_horsemen.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
four_horsemen.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1200
Who is your favourite New Atheist /his/?
>>
>>382722

I dont know this meme, so none.
>>
>>382722
Dennett desu senpai
>>
Dennett > Dawkins > Hitchens >>> Harris

Dennet is ok but boring

Dawkins is based as fuck when it comes to politics but too much of a fedora tipper for my taste otherwise + naive logical positivism typical of STEMtards

Hitchens is basically irrelevant, people just suck his nuts for "muh charisma and wit", literally made a life out of "debating" christians, you can't sink much lower, never did anything worth noting in his life

Harris is a cosmic abortion
>>
>>382733

You've never heard of the New Atheists?
>>
>>382722
none of them has made an original inference
>>
>>382752

Why should I?
>>
Dawkins. He's the most clear-thinking imo.
>>
>>382751

You what mate?

Hitchens was a top journalist and literary critic. The idea his career and life was based on "debating Christians" is horseshit.
>>
>>382759

No reason, if you have been living in a cave or are eight years old.
>>
>>382770

Great argument, kiddo.
Great argument.
>>
>>382774

Argument for what?
>>
>>382776

I just asked you why I should know them.
You just went acquiescent.
>>
>>382722
I personally like Dawkins, his personality and ability to communicate interesting ideas is best. Plus he his Twitter is golden
>>
File: bart.jpg (29 KB, 390x231) Image search: [Google]
bart.jpg
29 KB, 390x231
> Writes scholarly books on the new testament for academics
> Writes accessible books on new testament scholarship for laymen
> Debates fundies and donates the proceeds to charities
> Not consumed with anger or bitterness at religion
>>
>>382803

There isn't any reason you should, if you live in a cave or are eight years old.
>>
>>382827

Great argument, kiddo.
Great argument.
>>
>>382819
I mean, that's just historically inaccurate.

Though, that's implying the culture is the same as the one from 900 years ago.
>>
>>382831

Argument for what?
>>
>>382820
I love Ehrman! His "Jesus Interrupt" and "Misquoting Jesus" books are my favorite.

I guess we aren't limited to the four horsemen? Then I pick Richard Carrier. This masterpiece he wrote, his Internet infidels website, and general ability to best theists at history and philosophy puts him on the top of any list.
>>
>>382722
1. Dennett. He deals with philosophical reasons, which are in his domain, and makes large contributions to his own discipline.

2. Hitchens. Doesn't always have the best arguments but is an amazing rhetorician and pretty good writer.

3. Dawkins. I have a hard time respecting Dawkins because he often fancies himself an expert in philosophy, and probably other things, when he isn't. Makes bad arguments because of that occasionally. From what I understand, he also mostly writes pop science and relatively few scholarly pieces.

4. Harris. He has all the negatives of Dawkins but amplified.

I like Dennett and Hitchens, but to a lesser extent, but tend to cringe when I see Dawkins or Harris.
>>
File: dawkins-islam.jpg (42 KB, 500x289) Image search: [Google]
dawkins-islam.jpg
42 KB, 500x289
>>382833
He knows about the Golden age
>>
>>382841

>>
>>382855

There isn't any reason you should have heard of them, if you live in a cave or are eight years old.
>>
>>382756
Read Dennett's "Consciousness Explained." It's highly original and highly regarded in philosophy/cognitive science.

>>382820
Any recommended reading or videos from him?
>>
>>382862

Great argument, kiddo.
Great argument.
>>
>>382877

Argument for what?
>>
>>382853
What a retard, Dawkins.
>>
>>382879

>>
>>382886

There isn't any reason you should, if you live in a cave or are eight years old.
>>
>>382888

Great argument, kiddo.
Great argument.
>>
>>382897

Argument for what?
>>
>>382895

I am still waiting for a reason.
>>
>>382906

A reason to have heard of famous people?
>>
File: 1444140768230.png (70 KB, 1938x434) Image search: [Google]
1444140768230.png
70 KB, 1938x434
>>382733
>>I dont know this meme, so none.
>Big Boys of English Speaking academia
>Singer
The philosophical equivalent of Judge Judy, Singer's self-contradictory pap ("abortion and infanticide are acceptable because these immature humans are incapable or rational preference" vs. "rationality is not a requirement for ethical conduct. Any irrational being will avoid pain, which is why cruelty to animals is unethical", which are flatly contradictory positions). Makes money by writing books that tell Liberals 'doing what you want is A-OK"
A buffoon.
>Chomsky
A decent linguist, his work in every other field is no more (or less) than self-serving rent seeking which he publicly admits that he, himself, does not believe.
Darn good at making a buck of gullible college students, but (unless you are speaking of linguistics, where he is very good) not a big academic.
>Dawkins
A mediocre-at-best scientist who will leave exactly zero mark on actual science, he became popular as a writer of PopSci books. When that income source dried up (because his theories were soundly thrashed by scientists) he switched to a series of popular books trashing what he thinks religious people might believe.
Never was a great thinker, never will be.
>Rorty
A man who counted on his readers having never heard of Gorgias, Rorty took facile rhetoric, relabeled it neopragmatism, and sold it like snake oil.
>Chalmers
About time an actual academic appeared. although, to be fair, while he does a fine job of reminding everyone of the hard problem, he has no answers. Which is no one's fault.
>Dennett
Refuses to use proper terms, mainly to hide that, deep down, he he knows any clear statement of his theories leads to eye-rolling
Not a serious academic.
This list is a list of "People that stupid people think are smart"
>>
>>382906

>>
>>382872

Really, any of his non-scholarly books are good. I started with "Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium," which describes the academic reconstruction of Jesus of Nazareth as an apocalyptic prophet, and why they think so.

The one exception I'll make is his book "Did Jesus Exist?" which, and I say this as someone who argues against Christ mythicism, is just not his strongest book.
>>
>>382918

Thanks for replying politely.
>>
>>382918
I mostly agree with you but I've read the Gorgias many times and can still appreciate Rorty (and Callicles). I think part of the brilliance of the Gorgias is that the issue really isn't resolved by the end. It ends with Socrates trying to spook Callicles into caring about Truth but failing.
>>
>>382918
>A mediocre-at-best scientist who will leave exactly zero mark on actual science, he became popular as a writer of PopSci books. When that income source dried up (because his theories were soundly thrashed by scientists)

Except that's wrong you fucking retard. At least be subtle with your trolling
>>
>>382918

Half of those people aren't even New Atheists.
>>
>>382918
Nice /lit/ copypasta faggot
>>
File: 133547466531[1].jpg (21 KB, 384x395) Image search: [Google]
133547466531[1].jpg
21 KB, 384x395
>>382722

Whenever this whole "new atheism" and people talk about "coming out as an atheist", this image always pop up in my head because the idea is just so absurd for me that anyone in their LIFE would live in a developed country where they feel that enough people give a flying fuck about you being an atheist that it would have ANY impact on your life.

I live in a Swedish "no-go" zone and never EVER have any of the Muslim I've spoken to, neither strangers or friend, gave any kind of flying fuck about my religion.
>>
>>382918
> Those descriptions of Rorty and Dennet
wew lad even if you find them faulty, that's a strawman if I've ever seen em.
>>
>>382980

I've never heard of anyone talk about "coming out as an atheist". Essentially the New Atheists are a bunch of people that wrote anti-religion books in the 2000s.
>>
>>382980
It's more a matter of many 20 somethings being raised in fundamentalist Christian households and communities. I "came out" as gay and atheist and I think it's hilarious when atheists try to compare themselves to other minorities and act like they're persecuted in the same manner. I think the term "coming out" is apt when it comes to a lot of young atheists experiences, it was to mine, but I don't think it's as significant as many atheists make it out to be. More like minor discomfort at best.

>>382989
People were mostly using that term several years ago before fedora became a meme. I haven't heard it in years though.
>>
>>383002

Fedora = atheist isn't a meme anywhere except /pol/. Most Western Europen countries have significant chunks of their population who are atheist, surpriingly most of them don't wear funny hats.
>>
>>383026
>>
>>383026
>Fedora = atheist isn't a meme anywhere except /pol/.
That's irrelevant. My point was that that meme has been around sometime, even if it hasn't been everywhere, and that I haven't heard people use a certain term since before that meme existed.
>>
>>383041

>that meme has been around sometime,

Well, not really, only on /pol/ for a couple of years.
>>
>>382989
Well now you have. I had to come out as an atheist to my Catholic parents so long ago. It didn't end well. (well, things are fine now but getting kicked out is not fun)
>>
>>383054
2 years is an amount of time. Why are you so hung up on this? A meme exists, and I haven't heard a phrase used since before the meme existed. Why is this hard to understand?
>>
what are the new athiests?
>>
>>383078
>>
>>383055

Sorry dude.

>>383067

Not particulary hung up. I just find it bizarre that anyone would talk about fedoras = atheism as a real thing that they related cultural movements to.

>>383078

A bunch of people that wrote anti-religion books in the mid to early 2000s.
>>
>>382847
I like Carrier a lot too so it's such a shame he's made himself such a weirdo with the social justice shit and blogging about poly relationships. Poisons the well a bit for the good work he's actually done.
>>
File: 1352822824996.jpg (16 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
1352822824996.jpg
16 KB, 500x337
>>383109
Don't remind me... https://youtu.be/emrD6hTKkIY
>>
I wish I was British so people would think I'm sophisticated and charismatic due to my accent. Imagine if Hitchen's had been American...
>>
>>383152

But I'm British and I still think Hitchens is based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogd-yh7orfo
>>
>>383223
holy shit that was amazing
>>
File: African Sword.jpg (165 KB, 736x2308) Image search: [Google]
African Sword.jpg
165 KB, 736x2308
>>383272
Hitchen's the bees knees alright
>>
>>383152
Hitchens had an unfair advantage with his Oxford English and commanding voice but he wasn't riding on it. The guy was immensely skilled in rhetoric regardless of what you think of his opinions.
>>
>>383223
I'm religious and the stupidity of this man made me more religious than I was before.
>>
>>383671

Even given the dubious claim that he is stupid and making a stupid argument that is an idiotic fallacy fallacy.
>>
>>383089
>fedoras = atheism as a real thing that they related cultural movements to.
I didn't relate any cultural movement to anything. I related a phrase to a point in time relative to another phrase. Sorry you find that bizarre.
>>
>>382722
Not sure if your post is ironic but Hitchens was pretty based.
>>
>>382895
He's samefagging.
>>
>>382918
>This list is a list of "People that stupid people think are smart"
Okay, so who are the people that smart people think are smart?
>>
>>383847
It's just a troll copypasta from /lit/. It is meant to be inflammatory and incorrect to draw replies. Don't fall for it.
>>
>>383852
Damn, I was hoping to get a list of the actual smart people so I could go read their stuff.
>>
File: lol.jpg (72 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
72 KB, 480x270
>>383863
I think the lesson is: don't read Chalmers
>>
>>382722

the guy in the yellow square bcuz he looks like santa
>>
File: doug.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
doug.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
Dough Stanhope
>>
>>383852
>It's just a troll copypasta from /lit/. It is meant to be inflammatory and incorrect to draw replies
and yet it is so accurate
>>
>>382918
Didn't dawkins invent memes?
>>
>>386548
yes, selfish gene and extended phenotype were decent
>>
>>382722

Is Dennet secretly Santa?

Because the beard is making me suspect.

>>382751
>never did anything worth noting in his life

He was a journalist for decades.
>>
>>383055
Yeah that didn't happen
>>
I guess Dennett, because he's at least read some of the important works in the Western canon and knows his shit to some degree. The others revel in ignorance, and pretend like it makes them intelligent.
>>
>>383026
>Fedora = atheist isn't a meme anywhere except /pol/

Wasn't reddit the ones who started the fedoratipping atheist meme to begin with?
>>
>>382722
Dennet>>>>>>>>Hitchens>Harris=Dawkins
>>
>>383593

He believed in Orwell's ideals a little too much though.

Don't get me wrong, he was right in that 99% of the time dictatorships are a bad idea. That doesn't mean we have the right to topple any nation we deem as one.
>>
>>382722

as a atheist i hate them all, new atheism is fedora tier shit, its just memes and naive arguments based on nitpicked facts from science and history

its like if there was a known fact, something people generaly accept and there is no problem with it, even if a few claim othervise no one takes it seriously, its a known thing
then a few idiots come along and go out of theirs and everiones way to realy prove this one obvious self-evident thing, but they go about doing this in the most childish, naive, case-specific, moralizing, a-historical, generaly questionable ways and with so obviously christian arguments that even people who agree with their basic premis cant see it trough, while in the process they amass a huge fandom of autists and parroting fedora-tippers, so that in less than a decade the very word atheist becomes a insult and a running joke

now i am from europe and things were always different here about those things, the simple non existance of a immanent god that does things and answers prayrs and wathever, is basicaly intrinsic to every thing we think and do, its just a fact of life as is mortality or the fact the sun rises etc., but even so the new atheists have made such a mess of things that people are kinda bashfull of saying they are atheists, which most people operatively are, its silly, its like there was this overal concensus on a thing and then, the thing becoming associated with morons, its suddenly not as sure as before
>>
File: 1448841074111.png (9 KB, 516x227) Image search: [Google]
1448841074111.png
9 KB, 516x227
>>386548
>>
>>386798
>Harris
this guy is white buddhist, but at least he is a buddhist.
>>
>>386878
I mostly agree with you as an American atheist, who was an atheist before "new atheists" became a thing. It's a bit annoying to see your philosophical position taken over by people who just have a hate-on for others, to the point where you almost want to embrace Kierkegaard, but let's not be crazy. :)
>>
>>386909
this cunt should be castrated. he's a fucking bore.
as for this thread: stop believing in god and move on, simple. atheists are a bunch of reactionary faggots. at least Sade was interesting.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.