[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Really really want to study ancient history at uni >It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: romanwojak.png (379 KB, 674x781) Image search: [Google]
romanwojak.png
379 KB, 674x781
>Really really want to study ancient history at uni
>It's a fucking useless degree for getting a job

What do /his/?
>>
>>381521
Any degree that teaches you to write well, think critically and analyse data is useful for a modern business environment.

but if you really like history and you think you are smart enough, why not take a stab at an academic career?
>>
Major in something else. You can always study history in your free time or even minor in it.

Unless you like writing, teaching, or you know somebody who knows somebody, getting a job in a history field is fairly difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

Unless you're not looking to live a cushiony life. Then do whatever the fuck you enjoy.
>>
consider whats more important
to do what you enjoy or chase shekels

as someone who choosed the first, dont underestimate the power of shekels

the choice is yours young one and i dont envy you for it :^)
>>
>university is for professional training
This idea needs to die. University is for acquiring knowledge.
>>
>>381521
If you love it, do it. If money is worth more to you than the possession of knowledge then choose something else you can capitalize on.

Archaeologists are a prime example of this, most will never be paid more than peanuts, their jobs are far from secure, but they absolutely love what they do and are dedicated to it.
>>
Go into STEM and study history as a hobby. Fuck bitches
>>
File: 1444142713634-3.jpg (31 KB, 338x310) Image search: [Google]
1444142713634-3.jpg
31 KB, 338x310
topple capitalism
>>
>>381521
history isnt a useless degree, you just need to be good at bullshitting about muh skillset and muh experience
>>
>>381521
If you want to be a historian, study history
If you just kinda like some parts of history major in economics, read a book every other month on pop history and say out loud you "kept it as a hobbie".
>>
>>381531
How easy/difficult is it to get an academic career.

My dream desu
>>
You can find audio tapes of University History classes in the Pirate Bay and live recordings in Youtube.
>>
>>381809
Is that really from the cartoon or some anon made it?
>>
>>381901

It's real, bugs dresses up as stalin to spook hitler
>>
>>381911
I mean feeding such stuff to young kids can them hardwired to think in certain way
>>
>>381521
history grad here:

you're gonna have a tough time finding a job directly related to your field. history really has 2 viable routes in Teaching or Law. I chose Law but don't have the money to shell out to become an attorney, so I took a 1 year vocational program and became a paralegal doing assistance work for attorneys.

I got employed pretty fast as a paralegal for a law firm. A legal assistant with a college degree generally makes it pretty well with around $15-20 an hour starting.

But if you strictly want a history job instead of a viable choice with the degree, keep looking at libraries, archives, universities, and just keep pressing on hoping you'll find that opening.
>>
>>381926
Welcome to the world of mass media and propaganda.
>>
>>381521
Take this from someone with a defree in history. Go to the uni and local libraries and get manuals of history, advance reading whatever you want. You will learn the same or more than in the degree and can make another career, this one is useless unfortunately
>>
Get a real degree in health, business, law, technology or something and become an amateur historian in your spare time. That's what I did.
>>
I study history in the uni, ask me anything.
>>
File: bottle-opener.jpg (1 MB, 800x1044) Image search: [Google]
bottle-opener.jpg
1 MB, 800x1044
either get a working minor (computer shit is good) or get a STEM degree with a minor in history

myth solved
>>
>>381521
If you really have to ask this question then you probably aren't really that interested in history as a career.

Just do what the below suggest, do a subject that you're not passionate about and go and get a well rewarded but mind-crushingly boring job.

>>381534
>>381807
>>381994
>>382009
>casuals
>>
>>381860
really depends how prestigious an institution you want to work at.
Plenty of shit doctors work at shit universitites.
>>
if you do really well you will get a job

study hard and dont be a faggot
>>
File: FG9fn4E.png (193 KB, 528x261) Image search: [Google]
FG9fn4E.png
193 KB, 528x261
>>381809
This t b h comrade
>>
One of the major tragedies of the modern day is that university is no longer a place to broaden your horizons and dedicate yourself to learning

It's now a place for STEMtards to regurgitate facts and complain that the arts are draining the uni's budget which could be spent on more lab beakers while comfortably knowing they have a 9-5 soul-sucking job waiting for them
>>
>>382243
Maybe at bachelors level.
You are right that they are no longer places of learning, they have become focused around research. It doesn't matter how much you know, but if you know how to do research, it's why Masters of Science are so much for valuable than MA's or MPhils, even for degrees in social science and history for example.
>>
>>381521
Get a minor in history?

Honestly, everyone should try to inspire themselves into STEM. It takes a lot of work and but it's possible to get inspired by your work just as it is with any field and you can actually get a job afterwords. The world needs STEM.

Also,
>math degree
>$300k starting
>>
>>382256
>Pure maths
>not even more useless than history because you don't even have analytical or critical thinking skills
>>
>>382252
Not sure if its different in your country however MSc students almost never design research projects themselves and its often outsourced to MA and MPhil students to write up research plans, agendas, publication and dissemination.
>>
>>382256
>math degree
>$300k starting
Nope.

>>382273
There are plenty of firms that will take graduates with any sort of maths/physics degree. Not $300k but data analysts jobs are paid well compared to other graduate jobs, and they are plentiful.
>>
>>382288
>There are plenty of firms that will take graduates with any sort of maths/physics degree. Not $300k but data analysts jobs are paid well compared to other graduate jobs, and they are plentiful.

Not denying that, but definitely not a super glamorous 300k job. I know a few maths grads IRL and one became a teacher while the rest did the same thing my history/arts grad friends did (i.e. go into a firm doing something not directly related to the field).

I''ll probably wind up doing the same thing with my history degree when I'm done.
>>
File: sciduck.png (138 KB, 477x611) Image search: [Google]
sciduck.png
138 KB, 477x611
>>382288
>Nope.
It's a /sci/ meme, as old as the meme that engineers are all homosexuals.
>>
>>381795

Blame the employers, not the students who are desperately trying to fulfill the wishes of the employers in order to get enough money to survive.
>>
>>381795
You can get any information for your hobby education on the internet. Employers now require more than a GED. Get used to universities being solely for professional training.
>>
Fuck it, I'm pursuing a history PhD anyways because I literally don't care about any other subject. I'll be poor as fuck, but at least I'll be happy
>>
>>381521
Get a job that pays, then retire and study history as an old man with the time and money you finally have.
>>
>>384542

Feels. I figure worst comes to worst, I can always go to law school.
>>
>>381521
Get a job you hippie and do something with your life.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.