[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were ancient statues really as ugly as the reconstructed color
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: paintedsculpture.jpg (109 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
paintedsculpture.jpg
109 KB, 1500x1000
Were ancient statues really as ugly as the reconstructed color ones make them out to be? Are we sure that we aren't just finding a single pigment out of a really complex palette, like using the fill bucket to recolor a black and white photo?
>>
Given the level of artistry the statues possessed, its doubtful that they were given simplistic color palettes applied plainly.
>>
post painted ancient statues

terracotta warrior
>>
>>379573
>Are we sure that we aren't just finding a single pigment out of a really complex palette, like using the fill bucket to recolor a black and white photo?

I thought that was basically the idea, but maybe they were cartoonish. Who knows.

Some look good.
>>
>>379617
>terracotta
>ancient
>>
>>379629
> greasy quebecer
>>
I see no reason to believe the statues were painted ugly when we have pottery colored with attention to detail and aesthetics in mind
>>
If you have something near to lifesize or larger natural lighting removes a lot of the need to artificially highlight and shade the object.
>>
>>379573
>complex palette
>250 BC
The ancients weren't in want for colors but the truly complex palette only came around in the middle modern era.
>>
File: su.jpg (97 KB, 477x849) Image search: [Google]
su.jpg
97 KB, 477x849
No, thats just the basecoat. They used shading on top of the bright colors to give the color depth
>>
>>379629
okay, painted old statues

>>379634
fuck off
>>
>>379658
glad you dropped the trip

get a haircut too
>>
>>379664
im not Tallis tho
>>
They were basically on the same level as those crappy statues of random shit you find at mini golf courses.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.