[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't pinpoint an event
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Landsknecht.jpg (208 KB, 765x1044) Image search: [Google]
Landsknecht.jpg
208 KB, 765x1044
I want to read up on a particularly gruesome historical event, but i can't recall enough details to find what i am looking for.

here's what i remember, it was an army/mercenaries can't recall, that hadn't been paid, or their pay was delayed

I don't know what country they were from, maybe spanish can't remember, but they went into a German? city, and for several weeks/days raped, burnt, looted and murdered several hundreds of civilians.

i think it was called party or the party of "x" city, but i can't find anything in my searches with that so could be wrong, there were some paintings about the event also.

pic unrelated.
>>
Only thing I can think of is the 4th crusade but I doubt its be that

>Ventitans arrange to transport crusaders to the Holy land
>Crusaders can't pay all their fees so agree to intimidate Byzantine merchants during the journey due to the Ventitan merchants being expelled from Constantinople earlier
>on the way end up allying with a Byzantine prince to despise the Emperor, restore his father and they'd support the crusaders and let them travel t the Holyland with their support
>Ventitans and Crsusders change course and attack Cosmtantonopel and the Byzantine Empire
>Emperor flees, and the deposed Emperor and his son are crowned co-emeperor
>find out they're too poor to pay the Crusaders what the promised
>Crusaders turn on them and so does a court official who crowns himself Emperor
>Crusaders sack Constantinople and invade much of the Greek parts of the Empire
>Crusaders declare a new Latin Emperor under the same dynasty as the Kingdom of Jerusalem
>Byzantine Epire fractures into a series of successor "Empires" claiming to he the true successors while other kingdoms like Bulgaria break away too
>>
>>519517
This?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Rome_(1527)

>The army of the Holy Roman Emperor defeated the French army in Italy, but funds were not available to pay the soldiers. The 34,000 Imperial troops mutinied and forced their commander, Charles III, Duke of Bourbon, to lead them towards Rome. The Sack of Rome in 1527 was executed by some 6,000 Spaniards under the Duke, 14,000 Landsknechts under Georg von Frundsberg, some Italian infantry and some cavalry.
>>
>>519595
>>519659
Both just a prank (bro)
>>
>>519689
Ignore this /pol/ falseflag

Not sure what you're referring to OP, sorry
>>
>>519659
damn close, but i think it was a northern/central European city, an army that didn't get paid and marched into that city.

it wasn't called a battle or anything, it was something like "party" as "having a party" or the "excitment of" mercenaries just going through house to house and killing hundreds of people over several weeks, and just left they didn't seize any land or anything.

damn, i really am trying to remember better details about it, but i can't recall it.
>>
File: Church_Heart_of_the_Andes.jpg (3 MB, 3787x2080) Image search: [Google]
Church_Heart_of_the_Andes.jpg
3 MB, 3787x2080
>>519726
What's a good way of searching for these things, or less talked about historical events in general? thinking about it, i believe the funds for the soldiers were taken by privateers/pirates and never reached them, something like that.
>>
>>519517
What about the sack of Magdeburg?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Magdeburg
It fits the general time period you are hinting at, includes wide scale looting and the troops weren't paid enough so they decided to have their way with the city and its inhabitants after storming it.
>>519730
A German word for this event is "Magdeburger Hochzeit" (Marriage of Magdeburg). Since Magdeburg was often personalized by a virgin, the commander of the troops cynically remarked that the city had been "married" to the Emperor.
>>
Maybe the unpaid Carthaginian mercs during the Punic Wars?
>>
>>519828
I think that is it, thanks.

the paintings i saw was way more brutal than what google is showing, that's confusing, but yeah i think that was what i was looking for.

have you read a whole lot of warfare books and drew this out of memory, or how did you dig this up?
>>
>>519929
It's either Madeburg or Antwerp, probably Antwerp.
>>
>>519929
Magdeburg is very famous. If your into 30 years what shit that is.

PS, not the guy you are replying too.

alternatively try: https://www.google.nl/search?q=plundering+judengasse&biw=1920&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1zebdwpbKAhXHCw8KHZ3VBmoQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=+judengasse+plundering
>>
>>519517
Didn't the Swiss do this too at some point?
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury

More possibilities here.
>>
>>519929
I watched a TV documentary once and it sort of stuck. It was a hunch, but apparently it fit.
>>
>>519949
or this one.

Pretty brutal if you ask me.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=plundering+judengasse&biw=1920&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1zebdwpbKAhXHCw8KHZ3VBmoQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=+judengasse+plundering
>>
>>519785
>What's a good way of searching for these things
me >>519659
Can't say it's a good method, I remembered (also your pic) that the landsknecht did some similar things, so I wiki'd them, skimmed through it, spotted the the sack of Rome, read a bit of that and it seemed similar to what you were after.

If'd you asked about a similar event from China for example I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start though.
>>
>>519962

Oops wrong copy pasta

https://www.google.nl/search?q=spaanse+furie&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjcypS-w5bKAhUFkw8KHT-PC28Q_AUIBigB
>>
>>519970
or maybe this one:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bartholomew+massacre&safe=off&hl=nl&biw=1920&bih=945&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjH27z2w5bKAhVB-g4KHVt1AhwQ_AUIBigB
>>
I think you mean the Rape of Cologne (2015) it happened on NYE
>>
File: The_cruel_massacre_of_Naarden.jpg (3 MB, 2089x1648) Image search: [Google]
The_cruel_massacre_of_Naarden.jpg
3 MB, 2089x1648
>>519940
>>519954
yeah okay just searching for sack of Antwerp and the Spanish Fury and it's all just men with giant mustaches walking over a sea of corpses

>>519828
>>519958
>The devastation was so great that Magdeburgisieren (or "magdeburgization") became an oft-used term signifying total destruction, rape, and pillaging for decades, The terms "Magdeburg justice", "Magdeburg mercy" and "Magdeburg quarter" also arose as a result of the sack, used originally by Protestants when executing Catholics who begged for quarter

fucking brutal
>>
>>519985
kek
>>
>>519985
Don't forget the 25 year rule /pol/.
>>
File: RIJK04_RP-P-OB-79.012_X.jpg (2 MB, 1500x2196) Image search: [Google]
RIJK04_RP-P-OB-79.012_X.jpg
2 MB, 1500x2196
>>519989
>Oy vey its another Magdeburg
>>
>>520017
Fucking Alva

What a gigantic shitstain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2auYMS-VM

*good sound after 10 seconds
>>
File: The Sack of Antwerp.jpg (296 KB, 991x728) Image search: [Google]
The Sack of Antwerp.jpg
296 KB, 991x728
>Upon Requesens' death in March 1576, the Spanish king appointed his own half-brother Don Juan as Governor-General of the Netherlands but hesitated several months before notifying him, Even then, Don Juan did not hurry to proceed to Netherlands. The abandoned officers and ordinary soldiers not being paid, started a mutinous looting campaign with the style of conduct that had been demonstrated earlier.

I can't comprehend this, i know i shouldn't look at the past with modern views, but what in the actual hell is this.

this is worse than any horror movie i've ever seen
>>
>>520049
Don Juan is not to be confused with the literary figure of the same name btw
>>
>>520049
See the US invasion of Iraq m8.
>>
Is this official ''biggest chimpouts of history'' thread?

Gotta love when people try to push this fucking ''soldiers were just people like you and me :)'' bullshit then I read something like this.
>>
>>520122
They are.

When living a civilian life.
>>
>>520049
>angry warriors misstreated by his lords, and also tired of an stupid war were alot of his brothers died, gets mad about all the bullshit and fuck everything up

Not surprise there.
>>
>>520049
>I can't comprehend this, i know i shouldn't look at the past with modern views, but what in the actual hell is this.

I can see it happening even nowadays, with modern troops.

Have you seen some of the fucky stuff that goes on at Senior Military Colleges and such?
Some even have traditions of beating/raping underclassmen with brooms/axehandles.

One soldiers are given an identity and begin to see themselves as something other than those around them moral lines blur very quickly.
>>
>>520049
Are the killings and torture exaggerated? Cus if I was an unpaid merc I'd be far too busy with the looting to torture anybody. I might get one and a half rapes in with the pillage but my dick needs rest, man
>>
>>522555
>>520049
It happened in Vietname, Korea, Germany, etc... all of the time by American troops.

There were still mass rapes committed by US troops stationed in Japan even up into the 50's.

The only reason it's less obvious now are modern ROE; and even then you don't see half of what's shushed up and buried.
Remember that dude that snapped and killed an entire village by himself a couple years back?
>>
>>519517
Could it be the Swedes under the Deluge? They used mercenaries.
>>
>>520049
That one dude is pulling the ladder out from the other guy, what a dick.
>>
>>522563
I'm not 90 years old so no, I dont remember
>>
>>520122
>Gotta love when people try to push this fucking ''soldiers were just people like you and me :)'' bullshit then I read something like this.
but they are/were - things like this are... well, not commonplace, but not unknown to this day - the scope is perhaps lesser in the "civilized" armies of our time when compared to those of back then, but in the shitholes of today you see all sorts of awful stuff going on, and while much rarer, even western armies of today are capable of massive bullshit cruelty (see: conduct of some american soldiers in durkadurkastans)
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.