[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/alt-his/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 15
File: 13 colonies.jpg (96 KB, 800x847) Image search: [Google]
13 colonies.jpg
96 KB, 800x847
What would have happened had the Federal United States government died with the articles of confederation?
What if the conflicts between the Federalists and Anti-Federalists had been too intense for the union to continue.

How would the 13 colonies fare? Which would be the least developed and the most? Would Louisiane still be a French colony to this day? Would Mexico's unhampered control over the American continent (including access to the gold reserves in California and Colorado) have led them to be a powerful player in the world stage in absence of the non-existent United States? How would have the World Wars played out? Would the individual American states have involved themselves? Would a Native Confederation (at least in the Eastern Midwest) sprung up to defend themselves from the weaker singular states?
>>
File: DlIjAkS.jpg (382 KB, 1092x1684) Image search: [Google]
DlIjAkS.jpg
382 KB, 1092x1684
What would be really funny is if the 13 colonies tried to extend their territory westward instead of creating new states. According to this map, Virginia, Georgia and Massachusetts would become the most powerful states, especially if they extended their claims to the Pacific coast.
>>
>>37866
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but by that point France had already owned a lot of the stuff to the left of the colonies, right?

I think Napoleon wouldn't have sold the Louisiana Purchase then, he would've needed the money but he gave it to Thomas Jefferson because he also liked the Americans generally and they were neutral to the affairs in Europe.
>>
>>38178
Not to mention the Spanish colonies on the other side.

But those states proposed would end up being unmanageable logistical nightmares.
>>
>>38159
>The United Horizontal Lines of America
>>
File: Map.png (87 KB, 506x662) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
87 KB, 506x662
>>38159
>>38178
Correct, I made a preliminary map of what wold the modern map may have looked like.
I doubt any one state could have expanded to the Pacific. Because Mexico could have very easily dealt with any small states encroaching on it's territory.
>>38340
Exactly, New Spain (later known as Mexico) had a vast swath of land on the other side of French Louisiana (all the land that extends from the Dakotas to the gulf of Mexico between the Carolinas and Texas)

The Mexican revolution was coming, they were one of the only colonies whose purpose of rebelling from their colonial master wasn't inspired by the American revolution, and therefore they would have easly become a very powerful independent nation without Manifest Destiny to get in their way.
>>
File: United States of New England.png (24 KB, 1024x626) Image search: [Google]
United States of New England.png
24 KB, 1024x626
I'll bump the thread with shitty flags I made.
United States of New England
>>
File: Republic of New York.png (4 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
Republic of New York.png
4 KB, 1024x614
Republic of New York
>>
File: United States of Pennsylvania.png (81 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
United States of Pennsylvania.png
81 KB, 1024x683
United States of Pennsylvania
>>
File: united states by population.jpg (272 KB, 1100x848) Image search: [Google]
united states by population.jpg
272 KB, 1100x848
>>38530
>they would have easly become a very powerful independent nation without Manifest Destiny to get in their way.
Except that the biggest problem of the Mexican government was their centralization, that along with American settlers starting the Texas Revolution. Assuming all that still happens you'd definitely have an independent texas state because no way would they agree to be amalgamated into the mega state of georgia.

I always liked this map redrawing state boundaries by equal population and regional considerations.
>>
File: FixedUSA.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1504) Image search: [Google]
FixedUSA.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1504
>>38972
I've made a map of my own based on "regional considerations."
>>
File: 1445488695420.jpg (77 KB, 200x350) Image search: [Google]
1445488695420.jpg
77 KB, 200x350
>>39100
>West Virginia to Kentucky instead of back to Virginia
>>
>>39100
One thing that bothers me is that you seperated up florida a bit awkwardly. Move that northern border for south florida further south, everything north of Orlando is nothing like the rest of south florida. The fact that you include Ocala with south Florida is weird as fuck.
>>
File: 1412694855721.png (129 KB, 724x611) Image search: [Google]
1412694855721.png
129 KB, 724x611
>>39100
>that NC

lmao no way. Our mountains shield us from TN trash and nobody in NC wants to be in SC.
>>
America would have collapsed simply because of the slaves in the South. Britain would have consolidated more power in Canada and the West USA and would probably be the dominant power. Native Americans wouldn't have been completely wiped out and would be a major population in the US and Canada.
>>
>>38972
>"Atchafalaya"
>"Mesabi"
>"Ogallala"
>"Yerba Buena"
What the fuck, I would rather kill myself and be reincarnated somewhere else than have to identify as being from any of these places to somebody.
>>
>>38886
This one's pretty cool. But with it being a sideways prinsenvlag it might aswell be the Republic of New Amsterdam.
>>
>>38972
>>38972
Would the Texas Revolution even have happened without a United States Federal government supporting westward expansion though?
>>
>>39100
The Iowa/Dakota boarder really should stay as the Big Sioux River. That and the Loess hills are a very definitive regional boarder separating forested hill country from the great plains.

I lived in N. Sioux City for years.
>>
>>39300
The gave names to new states based on rivers, mountains, and indian names for the region. They're all real place names and sound weird mostly because you've never heard them before, but they're no stranger than Illinois, Michigan, or Dakota.
>>
>>39100
>western Mass going to Connecticut

Not in a billion years, they're either going to defect to Hudson, stay in Mass, or more likely, go to New England.
>>
>>39353
Maybe not the exact same way it happened, with them joining the US. But there was plenty of unrest in Mexico in the 1800's. Plus I am assuming you get the wave of german colonization from the 1930's in texas (and other parts of mexico), it was these germans and american settlers that built the infrastructure of the state and communities that still exist today. I can absolutely see them on the side of an independent state with strong ties to Germany.
>>
>>39100
California is fucked. San Joaquin would have to be part of Nevada, as well as Las Vegas. Also:
>Sacramento not being part of Oregon
>Oregon not being part of Cascadia
>Jefferson
>Sacramento as a state anyway
>Vegas being a state

Los Angeles containing all of the region of SoCal is good though
>>
File: Republic of Maryland.png (9 KB, 1025x513) Image search: [Google]
Republic of Maryland.png
9 KB, 1025x513
More Flags
I absolutely hate the Maryland flag, so I made it less of a clusterfuck by paying homage to the failed Union. The Eight stripes represent the eight historical provinces of Maryland
>>40350
Interesting concept. Do you think that the lessened impact of the United States in Texan independence would have made it so that the official language stayed as Spanish?
>>
File: us map of equal distribution.jpg (435 KB, 1440x954) Image search: [Google]
us map of equal distribution.jpg
435 KB, 1440x954
>>40898
German is the third most common language spoken in the US after English and Spanish. It's not implausible to see official matters of state being held in German, with Spanish and English being the language of commerce.
>>
File: Commonwealth of Virginia.png (75 KB, 1280x711) Image search: [Google]
Commonwealth of Virginia.png
75 KB, 1280x711
Commonwealth of Virginia
>>
File: Federation of the Carolinas.png (41 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Federation of the Carolinas.png
41 KB, 1024x683
Carolinas
>>
>>39283
>imply north carolina isn't full of mush mouthed hill billies
>>
>>42449
More like rootless carpetbaggers from the sound of it.
>>
>>39406
Ayy Sioux City bro reporting in.

And I agree with this
>>
>>42449
>implying NC isn't the best southern state
>>
>>42519
Ayy I used to work at Sneaky*s chicken when the owner was the mayor.
>>
File: squidbillies.png (481 KB, 730x487) Image search: [Google]
squidbillies.png
481 KB, 730x487
>>42604
I lived in Georgia for years. Both Atlanta and La Grange, when I think of "The South" I think of Georgia. It's got a little bit of everything from the rest of the south. Also [spoiler]best girls[/spoiler].
>>
>>42604
It was until the 2012 elections.

>governor gave up about 2 months into his time in office
>legislature consists of "lol, fuck everyone I don't know personally."

Bev Perdue was such a shit governor though that McRory could have sleepwalking into the governors mansion in 2012.

(Cooper for governor 2016)
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.