[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: philosophers people blow off because their philosophy is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: hume.jpg (13 KB, 200x290) Image search: [Google]
hume.jpg
13 KB, 200x290
ITT: philosophers people blow off because their philosophy is uncomfortable
>>
Muh black swan
>>
In what sense do people blow off Hume? He's kind of a big deal.
>>
>>378490
Hume is opposed by those who subscribe to moral objectivity and scientific positivism.

Of course, critical thinkers realize that a healthy measure of skepticism is a bonus to both philosophy and science.
>>
>>378490
Most people who only dabble in philosophy underrate him, IDK why. He's fantastically written and his arguments are very good, but rarely do I hear anyone say "wow, Hume is so good" like they do for Faggenstein, Nietzsche, etc.
>>
>>378581
Can't really talk about Wittgenstein, but Nietzsche's liked because of his aphoristic quotability - at least, among those who read him without any knowledge of what he was criticizing, of the tradition that shaped him. As far as I know, Hume isn't nearly as quotable and lapidary (hell no one is, maybe Cioran) so he's not as popular and well known, though probably no worse. Haven't really read much by him.
>>
>>378676
Nietzsche's nihilism is probably what inspired his hedonistic ubermensch, since his facism is what inspired the Nazis. His biggest mistake was claiming God was dead though. Other than that he was a meme whose brain was infected with syphilis
>>
>>378581
Whats wrong with wittgenstein senpai
>>
Paradigm example.
>>
>>378785

wat

He wasn't a nihilist. He considered Christianity to be a nihilistic religion because it doesn't focus on the life you're living but the life after. And the parts from Nietzsche that inspired the Nazis was primary the parts his sister altered.
>>
File: Mr Anime.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Mr Anime.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Greatest philosopher of the modern age
>>
Ayn Rand, people can't accept the truth
>>
>>378785
Literally everything you said is wrong. He wasn't a nihilist he wrote an entire chapter against nihilism, he never said the Ubermench would be hedonistic, he never mentioned the word fascism once. God is indeed dead and if you had any idea what the quote actually meant you'd realize it explains everything that has happened to religion in the past century, he never had syphilius (he had brain cancer) and he never wrote any books when he was insane.

I'm guessing you have never read Nietzsche and are just upset because he said some bad things about your religion.
>>
Hume is only remembered for getting BTFO by Kant.
>>
>>378785
>ubermensch
>hedonistic

>abloobloo muh nazis remember the 6 gorillion

Christfags, not even once
>>
File: Brofist.jpg (21 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
Brofist.jpg
21 KB, 500x484
>>378505
SUPREME GENTLEMAN IN ALL HIS MAGNIFICENCE
>>
>>378581
He doesn't really have the meme factor to him. That's why.
>>
>>379158
But...FUNNY HATS
>>
>>379143
Wouldn't be too sure, the existence of the thing in itself is derived from there having to be a cause of phenomena, but the category of causality only applies to phenomena themselves.
>>
>>379143
Not really. He's remembered as a historian and a hedonist who not only was a sceptic, but one that didn't go full fucking retards with HURR DURR BRAINS IN JARS THE MATRIX and the like.
>>
>>379213
You talking shit about my nigga Dickartes?

Accept his proof of God, heathen
>>
>>378785
a meme so supreme
>>
>>379143
Except not at all, Kant approves of 90% of Hume, and where he disagrees it's trivial at best.

Literally all philosophers after Kant laugh at noumenal objects so IDK why people treat that idea like it's so good. It's Kant's worst thinking desu
>>
>>379273
But noumenal objects had nothing to do with his criticism of hume, it was all in le analytic judgments
>>
>>378785
b8
>>
>>379281
Was it? I haven't yet read the full text of CoPR
>>
File: Pentti_Linkola_2.jpg (4 MB, 2278x2782) Image search: [Google]
Pentti_Linkola_2.jpg
4 MB, 2278x2782
Maybe not so well known outside northern Europe, but here he is known as the man who says what everyone knows but chooses to ignore.

For example he fervently believes in reducing the population of the world drastically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentti_Linkola
>>
>>378793
1. Logocentricism is a joke.
2. Mysticism is stupid.
>>
>>379303
>For example he fervently believes in reducing the population of the world drastically.
Him first
>>
>>379618
He lives literally as ecofriendly as a person can in one of the most underpopulated countries in the world, he can afford it
>>
File: 2222.jpg (23 KB, 381x396) Image search: [Google]
2222.jpg
23 KB, 381x396
>>378785
>people blow off because their philosophy is uncomfortable
>>378893
>>379124
>>379146
>>379255
>>379294
>>
>>379303
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentti_Linkola

fucking hell finland lighten up a bit
>>
>>379324
You'll have to elaborate on both counts.
>>
File: 800px-Singer1.jpg (169 KB, 800x1012) Image search: [Google]
800px-Singer1.jpg
169 KB, 800x1012
>>
>>379937
>"Having sex with a pig is better than killing a disabled infant, assuming the pig consents. Unless it doesn't, and then it's rape, unless society enjoys the raping more than the pig doesn't enjoy it"
>>
>>378532
You literally cannot do anything without being a moral objectivist. By committing any action, you necessarily claim that action is right and open yourself up to being proven wrong.
>>
>>380116
>saying something is morally right = moral objectivism
Hwhut
>>
>>380116
How does doing something commit you to an ethical position? We can just consider guilt, where a person recognizes they did something wrong. Incidentally, sentimentalism can be squared with moral realism, if you consider our moral sentiments to be the basis of moral facts.
>>
>>378785
>it'sallthere.jpg
>>
>>380134
Because consistency is the defining quality of life. It's a bunch of parts working in one direction. If actions weren't committed to a position, people would just fall apart.
>>
>>380116
Or maybe you don't believe in right and wrong at all
>>
File: Thomas_Robert_Malthus.jpg (240 KB, 541x687) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Robert_Malthus.jpg
240 KB, 541x687
Does this man count?
>>
>>380168
What do you think that words "right" and "wrong" mean?
>>
>>380172
>Muh baby apocalypse!
>>
>>378581
And then there are people like you who hail Hume as often as your Continental counterparts heil Hegel.
>>
>>380256
>Let's artificially increase an under developed countries population growth with food aid
>What could possible go wrong
>>
File: futurama green revolution.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
futurama green revolution.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
>>380256

And so, the scientists simply used more and more fertilizer, thus solving the problem once and for all!
>>
david benatar or anyone else with an antinatalist persuasion

people are incapable of even entertaining the thought without getting fuckin mad LOL
>>
>>380409
>antinatalist
Literally the "Kill urself, fggt" of philosophies. If you think the world would be better off with fewer people, you first.
>>
>>378474
>>
>>380167

Actions committed how? Consciously or unconsciously? It seems like only people who live narratively would have this perspective. There are people people who are kind, not in virtue of some moral system, but in virtue of their Being.
>>
>>379303
>He advocates eugenics, genocide, and abortion as possible means to combat overpopulation. He describes the Stalinist and Nazi massacres, as "massive thinning operations," but which have "not overturned our ethical norms".[7] He has suggested that big cities should be attacked by "some trans-national body like the UN", with nuclear weapons or with "bacteriological and chemical attacks".[8] Linkola has described humans as a cancer of the earth, and he desires that the human population "be reduced to about ten percent of what it is now."[9]

top lad
>>
>>380116

>By committing any action, you necessarily claim that action is right

No, you don't. You just commit the action.
>>
>>380167

That position doesn't have to be objective though.

If a person makes decisions by weighing the net personal benefit of the choices at hand, their position is inherently subjective and will vary wildly from that of other people.
>>
>>380262
I love Hegel too, so fuck you.
>>
>>
>>378459
He looks like Nic Cage desu
>>
>>380116
Your conclusion doesn't follow from your reason for it.
>>
>>379303
Linkola is based. It's a shame I can't read Finnish.

>>379618
He's said he would kill himself without hesitation if he could take millions of others with him.
>>
File: schopenhauer.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Counting down nihilistic philosophers, eh? Let me just get into my thinking pose here...
>>
>>380409
This desu.
>>
File: high quality bait.jpg (66 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
high quality bait.jpg
66 KB, 625x626
>>378785
>>
>>378459
Hume is really under appreciated, but honestly in a way he marks the end of the golden age of philosophy. Up until him thinkers attempted to prove the world to exist in some manner which could be understood absolutely. Though Kant tried to reconcile Hume's work he wasn't able to, in the end people turned away from trying to examine knowledge and reality. After Hume and Kant most major philosophers moved on to trying to better life. Its honestly a shame, but i can't disagree much with this man, he's one of my greatest inspirations in studying philosophy.
>>
>>379124
He contracted syphilis during his very brief service in the Franco-Prussian war.
>>
>>383526
That was the old theory.

http://www.actaneurologica.be/acta/download/2008-1/02-Hemelsoet%20et%20al.pdf

>Friedrich Nietzsche’s disease consisted
of migraine, psychiatric disturbances, cognitive decline
with dementia, and stroke. Despite the prevalent opinion
that neurosyphilis caused Nietzsche’s illness, there is
lack of evidence to support this diagnosis
>>
>>380950

Is this a troll post? I've never regarded him as a philosopher, more like a biologist and educator.

Great man nonetheless. So much respect for him.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.