[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This question comes after a discussion about censorship with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 736x736
This question comes after a discussion about censorship with a friend. If a certain person speaks out in favor of censorship towards someone or something without invoking any legal entity, is it hypocritical to condemn that person? Posted here because philosophy I guess
>>
>>377754
I have no idea what you mean but I post because this dog is cute
>>
>>377754
What do you mean "is it hypocritical?" You haven't talked about the person in question, only the one in favor of censorship.
>>
>>377754
What would censorship without legal entities look like? And what's hypocritical about condemnation?
>>
I think OP is referring to the paradox of tolerance
>>
>>377754
>is it hypocritical to condemn that person?
No. Being in favor of free speech does not mean that you personally must accept or even tolerate every single dumb thing that someone else might say. It means only that you do not want the government to get involved just because of something someone said.
>>
>>377754
You are under no obligation to tolerate intolerance.
>>
>>378158
This, basically.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>377925
Indeed
>>377959
Basically I was offering my friend advice on Internet arguments and censorship; here's how it went down
>A (my friend): makes a joke imvolving a slur
>B: hey man, can you take that down, it's offensive
>A: don't try to censor me you cunt
My two questions are did B try to censor A (no moderators have been contacted yet) and did A try to censor B?
>>378158
But if neither person gets the government involved, then is either one trying to censor?
>>
>>380112
>But if neither person gets the government involved, then is either one trying to censor?
Yes. Censorship is by definition when the government forbids certain facts or opinions from being expressed.

If you own a newspaper, for example, and your friend wants you to print an article you have written and you decline the offer, regardless of the reason, then you aren't censoring him. It doesn't even matter if no other newspaper wants to print his article either. He's not being censored until the government makes the printing of that article illegal.
>>
>>380112
That clearly depends on if person B is a SJW.

>A: Says something the other party gets offended by
>B: SHITPOST SHITPOST SHITPOST
>A: That's censorship!

If person B is a SJW it's censorship, and A (/pol/) is justified. If person B is from /pol/ it is not censorship, and person A is just a whiny SJW.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.