[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I remember reading a story about a wargame America did to prepare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 7dArOIXs9gY.jpg (137 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
7dArOIXs9gY.jpg
137 KB, 1280x853
I remember reading a story about a wargame America did to prepare for Iraq where they had one side be the Taliban with very basic weapons and equipment and the other side had great tech and weapons. But because the Taliban side had such an incredible general he managed to deploy tactics that rendered the American sides tech worthless and crushed them and it was such a crushing blow they tried to cover it up so the population would still support the war

Can anyone remember the name of this? It had a wikipedia page, i'd like to read about it again

Also any more stories from history like this? The underdog winning through experience and tactics
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 290x481) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 290x481
>>377485
millennium challenge 2002
>>
File: 1421011024493.jpg (170 KB, 1280x856) Image search: [Google]
1421011024493.jpg
170 KB, 1280x856
>>377498
YES that's it thanks anon, i was trying for ages to find it

Have a rare Miru as reward
>>
>>377485
>The underdog winning through experience and tactics
That sure as hell doesn't describe Millennium challenge 2002.
>>
>>377527
How so?
>>
>>377527
>HUR DUR IT WASNT FAIR

YES IT WAS

>HUR DUR RIPPER DIDNT PLAY FAIR

the tactics he used are feasible,
>>
>>377557
>millennium challenge 2002
how exactly was this simulated? Was there a particular software application I can look up?
>>
>>377485

This involved stuff like having guys on motorbikes delivering hand written orders rather than broadcasting it over radio to be intercepted, didn't it?
>>
>>377518
>>377485
i hate dyed hair so much
>>
>>377751

It's the US military, so they probably got a few thousand actual soldiers, trucks, tanks, helicopters etc to do it.
>>
>>377498
Was this the one with messengers traveling at light speed and motorboats with infinite missiles?
>>
>>377780
Sure, but the warship kills? Am somewhat confused as to how this would be run

also, articles do list a computer simulator being used.
>>
>>377557
Mounting large ASHMs on speedboats is not feasable.
>>
File: daisenryaku.jpg (255 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
daisenryaku.jpg
255 KB, 640x480
>>377485
>>377827
The media played it up like it was a huge problem that the Red commander got ignored, but the issue is that the purpose of a large-scale wargame exercise is more to practice the actual maneuvers themselves by the actual people. Thus it means the exercise must be "scripted" to some extent, because otherwise you couldn't get anything done. It costs a ton of money to mobilize a fleet for a big training exercise like this. None of the targets are modeled save as blips.

The Red guy was pretty much just being an autistic dick by trying to introduce unscripted elements like "haha, I've actually got motorbike couriers!"

Completely unscripted strategic scenario are something to be done outside of a "live" exercise like this, in a scenario planning session - *that's* the place to introduce wild ideas like motorcycle couriers and the like without derailing the thousands of tax dollars that are being spent on a practice session.
>>
>>379120
his innovations did sound like metagaming

he ragequit after rebalancing too, I think?
>>
>>377778
off by one.
>>377777
>>
>>379570
Yes, after the officials in charge decided to reset the scenario (so you know, it wouldn't be an absolute waste of time), the guy quit in a huff.

Yes, the shortcomings of the scenario were evident, but pulling a publicity stunt like he did was not an actually constructive and completely ignored the purpose of a live exercise - it's a fire drill to test/assess response times, not a live-action roleplay session.
>>
>>377485
>Invade Iraq
>Taliban

What the fuck are you talking about m8?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.