[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Native Americans justified in their specific hatred of C
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: columbus.jpg (68 KB, 494x600) Image search: [Google]
columbus.jpg
68 KB, 494x600
Are Native Americans justified in their specific hatred of Columbus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTXRDtYzYc
>>
It's a very particular thing to hate, I don't really get it. It isn't like he did anything special.
>>
>>379085
>It isn't like he did anything
I agree. He was just trying to get land for those nice colonists. He never meant to hurt anyone.

But in all seriousness, was he actually involved in any atrocities, or is he just a place for sjws to direct their hatred of colonization?
>>
Natives are justified in their hatred of him, just like Europeans are justified in their praise of him.
>>
The natives who's ancestors had atrocities committed by him are perfectly entitled to hate him(though that was a massive amount of time ago)
No one however, is entitled to hate him for the accidental transmission of disease that obliterated the population across the Americas. That would've happened eventually and it wasn't his fault.

I get why someone would find it offensive that he "discovered" the new world but he did finalize the link between Europe and The Americas
>>
>>379797
>>379099
And yes he committed some real fucked up heart of darkness shit
>>
Columbus didn't have much interaction with natives outside the Caribbean as I recall. Unless they are from Hispaniola I would think it would be misplaced and done for public spectacle rather than sincere belief.
>>
>>376479
Should we discount the crimes of the Natives?
Why are they 'more noble' why are they vindicated?
Its because we won.
"The conquered mourns, The conqueror is undone"
Is it over?
>>
>>376479
Sure, he was a piece of garbage who helped to commit genocide (in and after his lifetime)
>>
>>379841
Just because we say "this guy was an asshole" doesn't mean we are saying the natives are pure amazing shining beacons of morality.
>>
>>376479
The Taino would be justified, if they were still around. I wonder why that is.
>>
If some foreign asshole kept calling me the wrong country and race and refused to stop when corrected I would start to be pissed at him.
>>
>>376479
I don't event understand what specific injustices were committed by him or at his command. I get that he opened the door to colonialism but did he really straight up slaughter Indians the way people make it sound?
>>
>Columbus was appointed Viceroy and Governor of the Indies under the terms of the Capitulations of Santa Fe.

>By this time, accusations of tyranny and incompetence on the part of Columbus had also reached the Court. Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand responded by removing Columbus from power and replacing him with Francisco de Bobadilla.

>Arriving in Santo Domingo, Bobadilla was immediately met with complaints about all three Columbus brothers: Christopher, Bartolomé, and Diego. A report by de Bobadilla alleges that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola. The 48-page report contains testimonies from 23 people, including both enemies and supporters of Columbus, about Columbus and his brothers' treatment of colonial subjects during his seven-year rule.

>Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery.

>Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomé on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.

>Columbus dealt with native unrest and revolt by ordering brutal crackdowns in which many natives were killed and their dismembered bodies paraded through the streets.

>Columbus and his brothers were arrested and imprisoned upon their return to Spain from the third voyage.

Well damn. He seems like a bad guy.
But I do think that some Native Americans do seem to take it oddly personally.
>>
>>380441
>tfw "The Man Who Discovered Europe" will never actually be written.
>>
>>376479
Never trust a guy from Genoa.

t. Venetian
>>
>>380520
Is that one of the classic blunders?
>>
He was a good boy
>Traveled to new world
>Met with tribes peacefully
>Tried to settle there
>Natives attack
>They defend themselves
Also the people in the video are North American who had no contact with Columbus
>>
>>380526
What do you mean by that? He definitely was born in Genoa, and in Italy we consider them akin to Jews and Scotsmen: greedy and untrustworthy
>>
File: thuglife.png (103 KB, 323x332) Image search: [Google]
thuglife.png
103 KB, 323x332
>>379099
>But in all seriousness, was he actually involved in any atrocities

Bobadilla, who ruled as governor from 1500 until his death in a storm in 1502, had also been tasked by the Court with investigating the accusations of brutality made against Columbus. Arriving in Santo Domingo while Columbus was away in the explorations of his Third voyage, Bobadilla was immediately met with complaints about all three Columbus brothers: Christopher, Bartolomé, and Diego. A recently discovered report by de Bobadilla alleges that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola. The 48-page report, found in 2006 in the state archive in the Spanish city of Valladolid, contains testimonies from 23 people, including both enemies and supporters of Columbus, about Columbus and his brothers' treatment of colonial subjects during his seven-year rule.[79]

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report claims that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomé on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[79]

The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[80]

"Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[79] "Even those who loved him [Columbus] had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[79]
>>
File: 1386317182864.jpg (85 KB, 640x683) Image search: [Google]
1386317182864.jpg
85 KB, 640x683
>>379099
>But in all seriousness, was he actually involved in any atrocities, or is he just a place for sjws to direct their hatred of colonization?

>m-muh SJWs
>doesn't realize all the fucked up shit that Columbus did
>>
>>380576
The classic blunders are mistakes learned and repeated throughout history, Tte most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line", the others are significantly less well known, and I am inquiring whether "Never trust a guy from Genoa" is one of them.
>>
>>380591
You pasted a very slightly different excerpt of what I posted here >>380497

How did you manage such a bad post?
>>
>>380044
The dubs. Ooohhh.

These were the live sacrifice broz. The garland wars broz. Definitely not UNICEF.
>>
>>379797
The disease thing also ignores that it went both ways i.e. Europe brought smallpox, Americas gave Europe syphilis.
>>
>>376479
I feel like nowadays it would be like... I dunno... French people hating Julius Caesar or something.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.