[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nativity Scenes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: fontanini-nativity-set-02.jpg (17 KB, 346x272) Image search: [Google]
fontanini-nativity-set-02.jpg
17 KB, 346x272
Do Protestants consider nativity scenes to be idolatry? Being statues, do the Orthodox have any opposition to them?
>>
File: oliver-cromwell-portrait-009.jpg (24 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
oliver-cromwell-portrait-009.jpg
24 KB, 460x276
>protestants
>celebrating christmas
For what purpose?
>>
File: shamefur dispray mao.jpg (30 KB, 640x615) Image search: [Google]
shamefur dispray mao.jpg
30 KB, 640x615
>>373473
>Christians still think Christ's birth date was actually recorded on December 21
>mfw this is all catholic's fault
>>
>>373540
It's a heathen holiday. Bible doesn't tell me that I can't celebrate non-Christian holidays. And the only Christian thing about Christmas is the name. And it isn't even called Christmas where I live.
>>
File: 1436913319783.gif (230 KB, 785x810) Image search: [Google]
1436913319783.gif
230 KB, 785x810
>>373566
Sorry to rain on your Parade, Petre
>>
>>373569
>celebrating Christ's birth
>heathen holiday

>inb4 muh solstice and muh Yule

just because Christmas was selected to fall on that date does not mean that is what Christians are celebrating
>>
>>373600
>Neither gospel account mentions the time of year during which the events they describe takes place. However, the Gospel of Luke reference to shepherds grazing their sheep in the fields has been taken to imply a birth during the springtime, summer or early fall
Wut
>>
File: 1449456431948.png (273 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1449456431948.png
273 KB, 600x500
>>373473
Person from a protestant family reporting in.

My Dad banned us from celebrating Christmas as he considered it a pagan holiday. Same with Easter and Halloween.
>>
>>373609
Like I said, the date is irrelevant to the occasion being celebrated. CHRISTmas is about celebrating Jesus' birth, not about praising mother Gaia or whatever gay pagan shit the solstice represents. Most Christians don't even know the astrological significance of Dec 25 because it is irrelevant to celebrating Jesus.
>>
>>373643
The traditions around Christmas are very pagan. The day itself is a special pagan day with no links to Christ.
>>
>>373653
Dude, I get that decorating trees and whatnot has nothing to do with Christianity but that is not what Christmas is about. The commercialization/paganization of Christmas is a relatively recent development and ignores both the original impetus behind the holiday and they way it has been celebrated throughout history.
>>
>>373669
>ignores both the original impetus behind the holiday and they way it has been celebrated throughout history.
To make Romans feel better about not being able to celebrate Saturnalia?
>>
>>373669
It was always like that. It is why it was at one point banned. Its origins are pagan.
>>
>>373672 (you)

Take the red pill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzjReUVjmcA
>>
>>373669
> Paganization of Christmas
This is historical revisionism if I've ever seen it
>>
>>373683
>This catholic apologist
>>
>>373674
>the origins of celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ are pagan
>shiggy

Youre focusing too much on the date and not on what the holiday is actually commemorating.
>>
>>373702
It is not commemorating Christ's birth though. Otherwise it would be on his birthday and not on the day of a pagan holiday.
>>
File: hat guy.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
hat guy.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>i dismiss things that might change my point of view because someone has a different religion than me

ebin
>>
>>373723
meant for
>>373689
>>
File: luther pope.jpg (40 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
luther pope.jpg
40 KB, 850x400
>>373723
>I believe what the whore of babylon says
>>
>>373707
>Christmas
>not commemorating Christ's birth

troll confirmed

adios
>>
>>373745
It is not though, otherwise it would be on the day of his birth. It is not on the day of his birth, it is on the day of a pagan holiday.

Commemoration of Christmas is commemoration of a pagan holiday, not Christ's birth.

You can bury your head in the sand all you like but that does not change the facts.
>>
>>373745
Surely, there may be people who don't do anything pagan and actual just sit and remember Christ on Christmas, every family have their own traditions.

But most celebrate it by having a fat gnome give away presents. In other cases it's a goat.
>>
>>373754
We don't know the exact date Christ was born so they chose a date that was already significant to people to mark the most significant birth in human history.

That you can type with a straight face that CHRISTmas is not about Jesus' birth when the OP is literally about nativity scenes is a testament to your trolling ability. You wouldn't happen to be Jewish by chance?

>>373768
Yeah but the way people choose to celebrate it is irrelevant to the OCCASION for the holiday. For instance, the orthodox don't even exchange gifts on Christmas (they do that on Epiphany) but they still remember to celebrate Jesus birth.
>>
>>373801
>You wouldn't happen to be Jewish by chance?
I am >>373610, so no.

I am just presenting the arguments for why Christmas should not be celebrated as I understand them.

>so they chose a date that was already significant to people
They also kept many of the traditions and stories.
>>
>>373814
The story of Christmas is straight out of the Gospels m8.

All this stuff about Santa Claus etc... was added on later and isn't what the holiday is really about.

The true meaning of Christmas is about God's love for humanity.
>>
>>373846
You mean the story of Christ's birth. The story of Christmas is something that was invented later on, and in which the catholic church placed Christ's birth. Alongside the pagan rituals, traditions and customs it also put into the holiday.
>>
>>373801
>so they chose a date that was already significant to people
>>
>>373852
Christmas IS about Christ's birth... if you aren't a Jew then you are as stubborn as one...
>>
>>373870
How is it about his birth when it is not on his birthday and the festivals around it are pagan?

>if you aren't a Jew then you are as stubborn as one...
The thread OP asked about protestant beliefs on the nativity. I am presenting the beliefs that I know from my own protestant family and church and presenting the arguments that we hold to be true for why we do not celebrate it.
>>
>>373889
Because if you ask any Christian what they are celebrating on Christmas they will tell you that it is Jesus birth... I'm tired of going in circles with you. Have a good night and God bless you.
>>
>>373473
>Do Protestants consider nativity scenes to be idolatry?

you would have to basically ask each and every single one since they don't have any kind of coherent doctrine

most probably not, but there will always be some nutjobs
>>
>>373903
I am a Christian and if you asked me I would say that they are not celebrating Jesus' birth. They are worshipping pagan Gods.
>>
>>373912
nobody cares about you faggot. protestants should all be gassed

not even him, but you're fucking retarded if you think Christmas isn't about celebrating Jesus. They chose an already celebrated date to celebrate Jesus' birth on, it doesn't matter if there were pagans who celebrated pagan celebrations on the same day
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.