[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was God of the Old Testament such a cunt?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 14
Why was God of the Old Testament such a cunt?
>>
Why is OP such a cunt?
>>
That's just the inevitable consequence of centralizing the divine
>>
Religious figures are often cunts
See: Zeus, Abraham, Moses, Mohammed, list goes on and on
>>
>>370966
If you had a bunch of whiny Jews praying to you, wouldn't you be in shitty mood too?

>it's so dry in the desert
>what's the deal with goyim?
>moses thinks he's so big

No wonder he stuck em in the fucking desert to wander.
>>
>>370966
Well, the Old Testament is really a collection of ancient Jewish stories from times when the Jews were either fucked up or were very close to being fucked up. A lot of very old beliefs, obviously having to do with the violent nature of the world at the time.

Naturally the religion reflects this.
>>
>>370993
>>371159
This is the arc of the Old Testament
>Jews fall into idolatry and and do evil acts on their fellow man... again
>God sends prophet to remind them that He's their God and the Covenant goes two ways.
>Jews say f**k off and kill prophet
>God sends pagans to conquer and enslave them to remind them of life without Him
>Jews repent after a generation or two
>God inspires the pagans to set them free and dwell their promise land.
>Jews fall into idolatry and and do evil acts on their fellow man... again
>repeat cycle

New Testament begins
>Jesus comes
>Jews have still not become genre savvy.
>Diaspora happens
>>
File: 8FXZM.jpg (70 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
8FXZM.jpg
70 KB, 499x499
>>370966
Because he was literally their God of War. Don't you know Jewish panentheism?

> In the oldest biblical literature, Yahweh is a typical ancient Near Eastern "divine warrior" who leads the heavenly army against Israel's enemies;[6] he later became the main god of the Kingdom of Israel (Samaria) and of Judah,[7] and over time the royal court and temple promoted Yahweh as the god of the entire cosmos, possessing all the positive qualities previously attributed to the other gods and goddesses.[8][9] By the end of the Babylonian exile (6th century BCE), the very existence of foreign gods was denied, and Yahweh was proclaimed as the creator of the cosmos and the true god of all the world.[9]
>>
Because he was a character used to both strike fear into the hearts of the enemies of the Hebrews and to strike fear into the Hebrews who disobeyed their leaders.

Everything that happens to the Hebrew people is his will. The good stuff is him rewarding them, the bad stuff is punishment. But of course, it's just the vagaries of history, not a divine will, so it's going to seem arbitrary and bipolar and schizophrenic when you say a being decided it.
>>
File: nsCwe.jpg (129 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
nsCwe.jpg
129 KB, 800x800
>>370966
He was a sore loser
>>
>>371533

Yahweh had loads of sons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim
>>
>>371362
How is that text a description of panentheism?
>>
>>371581
>>371581

I think he might have meant polytheism.
>>
>>370966
>cunt
It was a man, baby.

No woman would or could ever fuck things up this bad.
>>
I think Jesus was talking about a different God (God the Father) and a different YHWH.

>"YHWH" reveals Himself to Moses, in Exodus, but his name shows up in Genesis...

The Old Testament is Sumerian and Babylonian stories mixed in with Jewish stories. Adam and Eve, Noah, and Abraham can be traced back to Sumerian "Mythology" where the Annunaki created man.

>Annunaki created man come on anon lay off the pipe

I strongly recommend doing some research because Jesus had ro have been talking about God in Spirit, because the Jews were expecting Him to preach a different message, and when Jesus just decided "I should preach real spiritual awareness and a way to know God" they were like "No, He isn't the Messiah because....

YHWH in Aramaic is IAUA

IAUA backwarda is AUAI

The vowels for Annunaki

>there are Gnostic sects which explain YHWH as a god, but not the God.

God is Spiritual before He is a deity, and God isn't exclusive to "Abrahamic" labeling
>>
File: 222.jpg (71 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
222.jpg
71 KB, 960x720
>>371843
>>371843
>>371843
>wouldn't that mean Islam is invalid
Not really, you have to remember Mohammed was trying to get His people to believe in one God above all gods and it would make sense as to why he incorporated OT and NT stories and made it relevant to what was going on with his tribe and stuff, this was His revelation from Allah.

>well Christians believe YHWH
Not all. Gnosticism is a heresy for this reason, and I think it is covered intentionally so people don't ask questions to priests and in schools they "shouldn't"

Judeo-Christian doctrines don't exactly go together

>so your telling me the Jews worship a bunch of aliens

No. I believe God knows that you are trying to reach out to Him in Spirit but still wants all beings to know the truth. Jesus is the Jews Messiah but because He came back with a different message they just pretended like it wasn't Jesus.

Jesus always called them "hypocrites" I mean He doesn't "show up" until He is 30ish so this implies He was taking a trip, perhaps cross country where He learned much wisdom.
>>
>>371867
Genesis was written after exodus
>>
>>372065
Someone definately hijacked the translating of Moses's original script, either way.

Genesis is a collection of a bunch of older stories that predate the Bible, simplified into the OT
>>
>>372095

Moses never existed, except in the sense that King Arthur or Robin Hood existed, there might be some tiny kernel of 'truth' the mythology about Moses is based on, but it has little baring on archaeological or historical fact.
>>
>>371577
Nephilim were angels and humans, not God
>>
>>372202

They were descended from the sons of god, according to the Old Testament, which was my point.
>>
>>370966
Because you are underage cancer and interpret His actions from your biased modern perspective, somehow believing your own view of things to be objective truth. The funny thing is your preconceptions of rightousness stem from ancient Jewish tradition.
>>
>>372263

Are you prepared to actually defend genocide and slavery and rape and child sacrifice?
>>
>>372263
Butthurt Christian detected.
>>
>>372276
>Are you prepared to actually defend genocide and slavery and rape and child sacrifice?
Why do you think they're wrong?
>>
>>370966
He was fine.
Seriously, jews were the cunts.
>>
>>372298

I could come up with half a dozen weak reasons why I think they are wrong, they would be very poor, but unless you are arguing they are right it doesn't matter.

Are you arguing genocide and slavery and rape and child sacrifice are right? Is that what you think?
>>
File: Good-Fellas-Shinebox.jpg (39 KB, 615x352) Image search: [Google]
Good-Fellas-Shinebox.jpg
39 KB, 615x352
He isn't

He just outright says he's a jealous God. The Israelites are his people, if you fuck with them/they fuck up he flips his shit.
>>
>>372323
Jews invented him in their image
>>
>>370966
Because the Jewish religious identity was mostly centered around foreign invasion of their land, namely assyrian ones; in such times, prophets would show up, and associate the impending doom with religious degeneracy amongst Jews; departing from the original God that defined the Jewish identity was seen as the reason behind various troubles, and thus the only solution was a more radical faith, and a punishment of the cosmopolites having started to worship new gods.
>>
>>372180

Sure he existed, he was that one Egyptian prince who wanted his own country, so he bought some slaves and made one...
>>
He was actually really cool compared to pagan gods.

He just seems like a cunt compared to the Christian God.
>>
>>370966
Because his main audience was Jews who never fucking listened to him and acted like total cunts to him despite him literally being the reason for their survival as a people. He is much nicer in the New testament because in the New Testament because the main audience, the Christians, weren't cunts to him. Jews were still cunts to him though.
>>
>>372380
There's nothing actually wrong with anything, anon. Unless you're a religious moralist yourself.
>>
>>370966
He wasn't a cunt Adam and eve curse mankind by getting robbed of their immortally and second guessing the fact that they were made to be god like

God fixed everything by sending jesus
>>
>>370966
>God of the OT
It's the same God as the one in the NT
>>
>>372592
Does God even make an appearance in the new testament? Besides Jesus obviously
>>
>>372520
>really cool compared to pagan gods.

Lol no. Literally just a generic war god
>>
>>371533
Your infographic should say protestants believe...
>>
>>373370
Whoever believes in the Bible believes it. Literally every line is cited in the Bible
>>
>>372263
>biased modern perspective
>says the bias christfag
>>
>>370966
Because he was the demiurge.
>>
>>372298
Because Jesus said they were
>>
File: 0Ix0C2Kl.jpg (80 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0Ix0C2Kl.jpg
80 KB, 640x480
>>370966
>>
>>374258
They didn't know how to read and study evidence and didn't have a civilization in Israel?
>>
>>374299
>illiterate sheep herders living in mud huts

Truly God's chosen people
>>
> Implying Marcion wasn't right
> Implying YHWH isn't a lesser god to Jesus
> Implying I need anything other than Luke, Acts, and the authentic Pauline letters
>>
>>372838
Read the beginning of the gospel of Mark
>>
>>374444
You mean this?

> Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

>At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.

... Seriously... How can anyone believe this shit? I laughed just reading it
>>
>>374943
How does the author know what Jesus is seeing and hearing?
>>
>>374422
And the Chinese were illiterate farmers living in mud huts, weren't they?
>>
>>374965
He probably used the same technique most ancient writers did.... he made up what he didnt know, and removed any part of the story he didnt like
>>
>>374258
I want to post fedoras, but he is right t b h
>>
>>375166
proofs?
>>
>>374965

Through faith.
>>
>>370966

Because he was the boss Jew.
>>
>>373384

You're not really supposed to read the Bible yourself though. That's the job of your priest.
>>
>>372976
No.

Most notably he doesn't demand sacrifice. Like when he stops Abraham from sacrificing his son.

OK he's still kind of a dick for asking in the first place, but it's already much better than pagan gods. He's a transitional god between paganism and Christianity.
>>
>>375130
Nope, study your history. The Han period is considered a golden age in Chinese history
>>
>>374258
98 percent of everyone who was ever born came after Christ.
>>
>>374258

Life was far better before Christ tbqh

Antiquity was beautiful
>>
>>370966

You seriously expect the Jewish God not to be a massive cunt?
>>
>>370966
If I was that sexually frustrated I would invent a cuntish God too
>>
>>371317
The diaspora started after 586 BC
>>
>>370966
Jews needed a way to explain why bad things always happened to them. It was totally not because they are all tricky little rats
>>
>>370993
This.

>You are my chosen people! Listen to me and you'll have a great life

instead they went all

>fuck this desert, we shoulda stayed in Egypt
>Moses is a faggot
>God isn't even real, let's just worship statues of livestock

I'd be pissed as fuck too. One thing I don't get is why of all people did God choose the Jews, you literally can't find more whiny and entitled fuckers on the entire planet.
>>
>>377881
>God isn't even real, let's just worship statues of livestock

Do you not understand Israelite polytheism? Or are you just trolling?
>>
File: seinfeld_costanza_belittles.png (264 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld_costanza_belittles.png
264 KB, 375x375
>>371533
>Believing in original sin, a Papist heresy
>>
File: gnostic.jpg (192 KB, 640x547) Image search: [Google]
gnostic.jpg
192 KB, 640x547
>>373881

THIS to be honest fampai.
>>
File: uRnvBw4.jpg (18 KB, 411x358) Image search: [Google]
uRnvBw4.jpg
18 KB, 411x358
>>374258
>>
>>378495
What was the point of Jesus if there was no original sin?
>>
>>379469
Satisfy Jewish blood lust
>>
File: 1439512443063.jpg (12 KB, 234x204) Image search: [Google]
1439512443063.jpg
12 KB, 234x204
He was still wild before having a kid took him down a notch.
>>
was he? you forget that he punishes the wicked and rewards the righteous. that's justice
>>
>>370966
Because OT God was created by Jews and the NT God was created by Greeks
>>
>>370966
You're making unproven assumptions based on misunderstandings. Might I suggest gotquestions.org?
>>
>>372495

There isn't any evidence for that.
>>
>>377881
>One thing I don't get is why of all people did God choose the Jews

He didn't, Christianity and Judaism are just jew-centric because they were invented by Jews with an obvious local bias, like almost every other religion ever.
>>
>>377730
He means the Second Diaspora.
>>
>>375324
He's not a dick for the Abraham thing. People need to look deeper into the story. Did he want a sacrifice? Clearly not. He used Abraham as an example for all of humanity. It was meant to teach a lesson in obedience. He didn't literally change his mind at the last second.
>>
God is suffering and the struggle to escape suffering through worldly things is Life. We can make up stories about how "Jesus loves me" but its only a story. The pain of existence knows no morals and is contradictory - in one moment we can experience great personal pleasure while around us others suffer, whether from "acts of God" or their own folly. Atheism takes root because too many people took the "God is Love" crap seriously and got bitter when the truth is God was never about being nice to us. God is a dick, and we can only find ways to escape his wrath either by ritual subservience, or by self indulgence and narcissism.

Hail Satan.
>>
>>382845
>It was just a prank, bro!
>>
>>374258

>life expectancty of 25 years

I want this meme to die
>>
>>381239
Akhenaton II
>>
>>375178
Not that guy but keked hard.

Come onn, contemporary proof that jesus was real?
>>
>>374258
And yet no one can debunk this
>>
>>374258
That quote is actually a little inaccurate. The video version is much better
>>
>>382845
Abraham failed the test, he should have said no
>>
>>388765
Agreed, why would anyone listen to the command's of a demon?
>>
>why was my primary school teacher such a dick? I obviously didn't deserve the punishment I got for eating glue
That was how it was best explained to me.
>>
>>391200
Except we aren't dogs or children, we don't need to be smacked and prodded to learn. We are humans with an ability for reason and understanding. Take Scrooge for example. He fucked up. And then in a single night (without any lecturing or punishment) he learned how to be a good person. No one would say this was wrong. That the conversion of Mr. Scrooge was an unqualified good for him, for his whole community, for everyone, is undeniable. I dare anyone to come up with some ridiculous, harebrained argument that God shouldn’t have done that. Yet this is only fiction. No ghosts have ever sought to educate any evil man. Nothing of the kind happens in this universe. And that is all but impossible for a universe with a god in it. If such ghosts visited me tonight, and took me around, showing me what’s right and true, I would believe and be saved. Isn’t that what God would want? Since he clearly hasn’t done it, he clearly doesn’t exist.
>>
>>374965
jesus told them
>>
File: 1439088988943.jpg (189 KB, 1700x1700) Image search: [Google]
1439088988943.jpg
189 KB, 1700x1700
>>391270
> We are humans with an ability for reason and understanding
>Take Scrooge for example
pffft, and you say youre grown up, m8?
>>
>>391200

I'm not sure the analogy really works. I'm assuming your primary school teacher didn't stone you to death and then destroy the entire city except for the virgin females, who he kept for rapey tiem.
>>
>>374943
>He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.

Thank fuck for those angels. I mean, it would suck if some nasty-ass rodents killed God
>>
>>371867
>>371843

YHWH isn't his name; it's a statement of being. "I am that I am."
>>
>>370966
Probably because his followers were more concerned with cutting bits of their dick off than building a peaceful, tolerant society
>>
God never screwed anyone over who didn't have it coming. If the Jews wanted to rely on God for his benevolence then they better obey God and do as he commands or he'll shut off the supply of good stuff. I imagine God as a forcefield, God protected the Jews from all the powerful enemies around them, as soon as the Jews turned their backs on God, God let down the shield and powerful warlike civilizations had their way with the Jews.

The biggest historical proof of God we have is How in the hell did a bunch of Jews occupy prime agricultural land for such a long period? The Jews were never great warriors, they were semi nomadic pastoralists and yet time and time again when much stronger nations and empires tried to destroy them, they failed. Why is it that when the Jews were sent into exile or slaughtered, it coincides with their worship of other gods? Why is it that when Jews were led into exile, they were allowed to return to the promised land after they remembered God and worshipped him once again?
>>
>>383343
>Akhenaton II
There was no such pharaoh under this name.
>>
File: 1433205572922.jpg (137 KB, 949x765) Image search: [Google]
1433205572922.jpg
137 KB, 949x765
>>392946
>then they better obey God and do as he commands or he'll shut off the supply of good stuff
>>
>>370966

Why do Jews write God as G-d

Is that supposed to be like YWHW where Hebrew has no written vowels?
>>
>>374258
pretty fedora but I have to agree

but every religion ever is area/culture-contextual
>>
File: PoussinGoldenCalf[1].jpg (193 KB, 1024x729) Image search: [Google]
PoussinGoldenCalf[1].jpg
193 KB, 1024x729
>>370966
Old Test man was written at a different time
People were assholes back then so making God a jerk was normal
>>
>>370966
>Making this post again

b8 is getting stale
>>
Who /Marcionism/ here?
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.