[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post all the zaniest, kookiest, most interesting charac
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: 1522049.jpg (58 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1522049.jpg
58 KB, 600x338
ITT: Post all the zaniest, kookiest, most interesting characters from WW2

Mad Jack Churchill is one of the best

>brought a claymore sword into battle
>"Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed."
>fought all over, in Italy, France, Yugoslavia, Burma, and Norway
>while in the middle of battle in Norway, played march of the Cameron man on his bagpipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH081uTTUj4

>Got his first kill of the war with a bow and arrow
>hated when America nuked Japan because it ended the war before he had a chance to really fight against the Japanese
>became a famous surfer after the war
>>
File: parasite fighters.jpg (55 KB, 900x423) Image search: [Google]
parasite fighters.jpg
55 KB, 900x423
>>368062

Not a lunatic person, but the craziest concept of WW2 has to be the parasite flighter.

>Hey Sergei, it would be really nice if we could bomb those oil fields in Ploesti.
>But Comrade Vasily, our fighters can't cover our TB-3s that far, they'll be chewed up by the enemy.
>I know! We'll tie fighters to our bombers! Launch them when they come under attack! They'll be able to get moving before they crash, right?
>>
>>368062
>ITT: Post all the zaniest, kookiest, most interesting characters from WW2
Winston Churchill was a lover of zany weapons, wunderwaffe, and "decisive" special operations. Tom Clancy is more credible.

Louis Mountbatten was a lover of clever plans and elite forces. By which I obviously mean batshit inane underplanned crap and number six wire and a 2 be 4.

Together they planned an invasion of Norway by Norwegian/Canadian special forces.
>>
Königsberger Volkssturm-Bataillonsführer und SA-Hauptsturmführer Ernst Tiburzy. The 34 years old, already seriously wounded East Prussian Tiburzy received the Knight’s Cross on February 10, 1945. Tiburzy was the Bataillonsführer of Volkssturm-Bataillon 25/82 in Festung Königsberg. When the Russians made an armoured assault, Tiburzy knocked out a T-34 with a Panzerfaust. When one of his platoon commanders cowardly tried to escape, Tiburzy shot the man, grabbed some new Panzerfäuste and knocked out a further four T-34’s. He then personally led his Battalion in a counter-attack on the Russian positions and held his part of the front sector.
>>
>>368079

lol what the fuck?
>>
>>368062
It was not a claymore it was a broadsword desu.
>>
>>368079
Well I mean, if the plane was moving fast enough and the fighter's engines were started up before it was dropped, would the momentum be enough to keep it up?
>>
File: oskar.jpg (50 KB, 472x785) Image search: [Google]
oskar.jpg
50 KB, 472x785
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger

he's like the definition of a nazi supervillain
>>
File: doss006.jpg (73 KB, 960x1313) Image search: [Google]
doss006.jpg
73 KB, 960x1313
>>368835

I think Dirlewangers foil is Desmond Doss

He was a conscientious objector, but wasnt a pussy who refused to go into war. He refused to even carry a weapon because he didnt want to hurt or kill anyone and was one of the best medics in the pacific theater and got the medal of honor
>>
>>368813
That's really not how it works. The planes being loosened would mean the wind speed and draft would hit it unexpectedly and throw it in spiral. It would only work in a vacuum like condition would never happen.
>>
>>368079
afaik Stalin had a fetish on biplanes
>>
>>368062
he also got the only confirmed kill with a longbow didnt he?

Lauri Torni is worth a mention,
patton was a nutter
sgt smokey smith. V.C
lord lovat
colonel lewis millet is up there with mad jack,
>veteran of ww2, korea and vietnam
>joined murican national guard
>deserted us army and joined canadian army to fight nazis
>part of top secret radar unit
>transfered back to american army
>recieves silver star in n.africa
>shoots down a me 109 with a half track mounted machine gun
>gets busted for desertion and promoted to lt
>captain in korea earns medal of honour during bayonet charge up a hill
>>
File: lorry.jpg (144 KB, 1063x1034) Image search: [Google]
lorry.jpg
144 KB, 1063x1034
>>370627
>Lauri Torni

>it aint me starts playing
>>
>>368881
Hey. As I conscientious objector, I have to point out that those who didn't participate in active combat took on dangerous, shitty tasks as well.

Like, deliberately starving themselves to prepare the U.S. Army for helping with DPs.
>>
File: hitla.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
hitla.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
I told Adolf da jews are behind everything and he should genocide them and he did! The absolute madman!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.