[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You're ottoman sultan in the early 17th century and you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 379x235) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 379x235
You're ottoman sultan in the early 17th century and you feel as if shit is hitting the fan as corruption is everywhere and the military is complacent and becoming backward , what do you do to save the empire ?
>>
>>364815
convert to orthodoxy and rename my empire Rome
>>
>>364837
this.
>>
>>365000
trips confirm best decision
>>
>>364815
morocco was never part of th ottoman empire.
>>
Genocide Turks and let Greeks take control
>>
>>364815
More concubines. Especially those armainain ladyboys. I feel if I keep fucking them one will eventually give birth, and that would be awesome.
>>
>>364815
Make Greek the sole court language and convert to Orthodox.
>>
>>364815

Round up all the Janissaries.

Have them all shot.

Replace them with troops that don't have institutional priveleges that can't be stripped away when they fuck up.
>>
>>364837
>>365709
This desu.
>>
>>365398
All the Barbary coast nations were close allies/puppets of the Ottomans.
>>
>>364815
When exactly did the Ottoman empire start its general decline? Around 1600?
>>
>>365709
Isn't this ultimately what happened anyway
>>
>>364837
That ended fast.
>>
>>364815
Let the Janissaries keep at it and get back to my dank OG kush.
>>
>>365758

Yes, but not until much, much later, and a lot of endemic corruption and minor civil war later.

Do it faster, do it quieter before the Janissaries gain so much power, and you'l be way better off.
>>
>>365752
The early 1600s were near the pinnacle of Ottoman dominance, they didn't start stagnating until near the 1700s and didn't start to really decline until the early 1800s.

But shit really started to get real around the 20th century.
>>
>>364815
Export kebab
Import westerners
>>
>>364815
force my army to expand the empire into africa at the cost of their lives build a new model army
>>
File: c9a.png (168 KB, 328x327) Image search: [Google]
c9a.png
168 KB, 328x327
>>365402
>>364837
>>
Convert to Catholicism and begin to phase out Islamic and Arab influence. Arab genocide instead of Armenian genocide.
>>
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 126x90) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 126x90
>>365745
not morocco
>>
>>365932
This and all similar suggestions are retarded when most of the territory and population are muslims. You have to work with what you've got.
>>
File: Shah Suleiman.jpg (37 KB, 230x297) Image search: [Google]
Shah Suleiman.jpg
37 KB, 230x297
>>364815
Start Tanzimat reforms early. Standardization of military- Uniforms, staff college, Doctrine, issued weapons . Establish government institutions (National Bank, etc.), develop contemporary infrastructure. and strengthen navy
>>
Raise a competent heir. Kick his ass off to govern somewhere as soon as he comes of age. Fuck the cage system. You don't learn anything that way.
If a bitch in the harem steps out of line, banish her right there. No loving in the harem. (Fuck you Suleiman)
Disband the Janissaries. Bombard their barracks if I have to. (That's what eventually happened anyway.)
Do SOMETHING to attract trade back to egypt and black sea. People are discovering continents to avoid that shit.
Empire's too big. Start setting up buffer states or do what Diocletian did.
Don't build fucking palaces with the money I borrow from European countries. Don't borrow money in the first place.
Get some hardcore industrial movement ASAP. Cut down on imports. Promote local production.

And as I keep typing on, I, once again, realize that Ottoman Empire was doomed in a million ways.
>>
Party like it's the early 17th century
>>
>>366088
Where would you get the people for those institutions like bankers etc, import italians maybe ?
>>
>>366129
hey were pretty okay in the 17th century
>>
>>366141
They were able to change things forte better if onoy the good sultan streak wasn't broken by suleimans worst son.
>>
File: Huerrem_Sultan_Roxelane.jpg (401 KB, 1492x1820) Image search: [Google]
Huerrem_Sultan_Roxelane.jpg
401 KB, 1492x1820
>>366141
Stagnation had already set in and decline was on the horizon. It was a ticking bomb. And right at the end of century, we have the treaty of Karlowitz.

>>366152
You can thank this bitch for that.
17th century was a time of deposed rulers, crazy and paranoid sultans and children on the throne for Ottomans. There was even a period where a lineage of viziers ruled the empire.
>>
>>366168
Roxelana the fucking ukrainian bitch but its also the fault of suleiman for killing his only capable sons because they wanted the throne earlier .
>>
>>365907
>Being turk
>Not killing yourself right now
Your doing it wrong
>>
>>364815

Easy.

It's called internal controls and segregation of duties.

Don't let the janissaries have both military and civil/administrative duties. They should only be used for military roles (and certain lower level administrative roles). The civil and administrative functions should be decided by a merit-based exam system like in China.
>>
>>364815
It's already doomed thanks to Suleiman not having prepped a heir before his umpteenth attempt at a military expedition to conquer more of the Balkans. After that, a streak of shitty sultans delegated control to their advisors who corrupted the empire for their benefit.
>>
>>366270
If you want to shitpost do it somewhere else faggot
>>
>>364837
I have a creeping feeling that would not go over particularly well
>>
>>366140
If there's one thing the empire could do, whether it was through slavery, renegades, exiles, or adventurers, it was import people.
>>
>>364815
kill myself for being a filthy t*rk
>>
Nothing.
Roots of it's collapse were in Islamic culture, which was dominant over more cosmopolitan Byzantine culture.
Christians (who were majority in Balkans, and had large presence in Anatolia in that time too) would never accept it. They were second-class citizens.
Ottomans had achievements, but they never escaped their nomad roots. That empire was shit as soon as Suleiman the Magnificent died.
>>
>>364815
-More farms in Southern Europe making the region produce more food for the empire and keep prices stable.
-Institute anti-corruption officers backed up by religious authority.
-Establish stronger national unity by building national monuments and improving culture.
-Keep the army busy through drills and training.
>>
Kill or convert all the Muslims and change the city's name back to Byzantium.
>>
>>366129
>hardcore industrial movement
>early 17th century
>>
>>369664
yes?
>>
>>364837
I think ottoman sultans already called themselves Kayser-i-Rûm.
>>
What was the name of the book that the ottoman sultan commissioned to find out why his empire was declining and Europeans ascending?

It mentioned all sorts of crap starting from ottoman empire being dominated by religious law over state.
>>
>>367578
About the farms I think one problem was that the population of the ottoman empire was never very big compared to other empires.
>>
>>369803

More slaves then, get more slaves and if they get uppity they will be dealt with by the Janniaries, their numbers never being replenished
>>
>>369803
Hmm if you go by the wikipedia numbers it certainly is large for the time period, besides that the cheaper food can be used to promote growth through the empire or in specific places like Anatolia and then immigrate more turks in further parts of the empire.
>>369894
No more slaves is a bad idea, slaves will is to rebel and really the only good advantages of slavery is for large construction projects, sullen domestic servants or sex slaves 9but they already raised women in sex farms in southern Europe also slavery makes your peasent population poorer and more resent full and requires policing to control and enforce.

Like I stated keep the regular army busy though drills and training and once they are at a certain level put the Jannisarys on campaign somewhere far away with high attrition and then change the laws while they are away, the new model army can enforce things when they get back if they get uppity.
>>
Kidnap Newton and Leibniz and make calculus a state secret until we build up a technological lead over the neighboring countries.
>>
>>370110
Calculus follows from what they knew of maths, someone else would just invent it, meanwhile you have a bunch of guys puttering about with prisms and monads and doing nothing to alleviate Turkey's obscurantist approach to science and discovery.
>>
Embezzel everything and run.
>>
>>365758
Mahmud II did it, but it happened too late.
That event is known as Vaka-i Hayriye here(Turkey) which means Auspicious Incident.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.