[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greeks Romans and Hellenes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
>On 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War, Lemnos became part of Greece. The Greek navy under Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman garrison, who were returned to Anatolia. Peter Charanis, born on the island in 1908 and later a professor of Byzantine history at Rutgers University recounts when the island was occupied and Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what Greek soldiers looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ the children replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ a soldier retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans." Thus was the most ancient national identity in all of history, preserved in isolation, finally absorbed and ended.[14]

I find this really interesting that just 100 years ago people claimed being legitimate Romans.
>>
>>364583
>I find this [SIC] really interesting that just 100 years ago people claimed being legitimate Romans.

WHY?
>>
>>364583
Source? Seems like a really interesting read.

>>364612
Because Eastern Rome
>>
>>364583
In Turkey greek speakers are still called Rums. Greeks from Greece are called Yunans or something.
>>
>>364625
>Because Eastern Rome

DID YOU EVEN READ THE POST TO WHICH YOU ARE REPLYING? I DO NOT THINK SO.
>>
Turkey is the legitimate Rome according to Eastern Orthodoxy.
>>
Muslims refer to the West as Rome.
>>
>>364651
No only to anatolian greeks
>>
>>364651
This >>364776
Byzantines = Rum (Romans)
Westerners = Ferenk, Ferenggi, Ferengqi, Ferenkiye whatever (Franks)
>>
>I find this really interesting that just 100 years ago people claimed being legitimate Romans.

Why? It's natural to want to take over a culture that was once successful and had conquered most of Europe. It's exactly the same when people say shit like "I'm proud to be American/Russian/Belgian/whatever"
>>
>>364612
>>364625
>>364866

But still, it's 500 years after the fall of ERE and 700 years after the 4th crusade where relations were severely damaged. Meanwhile Greek has been the spoken language since forever. Why would people claim to be Romans and not Greeks or better yet why base the newly independent country on ancient Greece and not on ERE?

Source is wiki article on Aegean island Limnos.
>>
>>365011
Most countries probably wouldn't recognize them as Roman Successors and we're also talking about an apparently small part of Roman wannabees. More people were for the Greeks because then they can say it loudly and proudly "H-hey guys w-we invented Democracy a-and sex!"
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.