[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>extremely practical and protective helmet design >abandoned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
>extremely practical and protective helmet design

>abandoned by late Roman empire and never adopted by any military since

Why?
>>
>>364094
>Your army gits big.
>Issue them easy to make no nonsense helmets
>>
>>364108
Is that nigga wearing fucking chainmail tabis?

Fucking Roman weeaboos I swear to god
>>
if the Romans can see how silly those steel Bucket medieval helmet,I bet they cry wondering how stupid people thousand years later are.
>>
The stalhelm seems like a fairly popular modern approximation of the design. They just streamlined the neckguard with the main bowl and removed the cheekguards which aren't exactly going to stop a bullet. Would get in the way of a gas mask too which is of greater concern in this century.
>>
>>364094
Because superior Germanic helmets.

Also Montefortino was originally a Celtic design
>>
File: pickelhaube.jpg (539 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
pickelhaube.jpg
539 KB, 768x1024
>>364094

dunno m8
>>
>>364108
>posting pics from the meme books
>>
>>364394
So the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montefortino_helmet

Is the exact equivalent of a later modified design?
>>
File: Mont1.jpg (48 KB, 841x600) Image search: [Google]
Mont1.jpg
48 KB, 841x600
>>364416
Imperial helmet basically derived from Montefortino design, they just improved it and added more stuff
>>
>Rome starts to crumble and their military and military equipment is weakened
>At the same time multiculturalism is encouraged and Jews rise in power

hurr lets just ignore this because it offends us
>>
>>364443
>At the same time multiculturalism is encouraged

I don't think you understand antiquity at all.

>Jews rise in power

Jews lost all their power centuries earlier and never regained it in the Roman Empire.
>>
>>364456
So migration didn't happen during Roman times? Oh wait, you just ignore facts to fit your narrative.

>Jews lost power
So explain why they own all the major banks nowadays then?
>>
>>364460
>So explain why they own all the major banks nowadays then?

Modern banks don't have any ties to Roman era financial institutions.
>>
>>364485
The Roman Empire was only dissolved in 1806, so I find that hard to believe.
>>
>>364456
Jews lost their power in Judea proper, doesn't mean they didn't still exist in the Empire.
>>
>>364492
Most powerful Jews outside of Judea lived in Alexandria, but even their influence ended long before the 5th century.
>>
File: 1444750273865.png (25 KB, 194x194) Image search: [Google]
1444750273865.png
25 KB, 194x194
>>364491
>>
File: yK8IiQu.gif (1 MB, 400x307) Image search: [Google]
yK8IiQu.gif
1 MB, 400x307
>This thread is allready just nonsense
>>
>>364403
So what was the pike at the top of the helmet even there for. Identification of German troops?
>>
File: Finland.png (367 KB, 1600x1954) Image search: [Google]
Finland.png
367 KB, 1600x1954
>>364491
>>
>>364094

> abandoned by late Roman empire and never adopted by any military since

I think the word you're looking for is 'improved,' Anon.

The Late Roman helmets offered better protection, and were simpler and cheaper to manufacture as well.

They fell out of favour more because the various Post-Roman Germanics preferred their own styles of helmet, while the Byzantines didn't seem to be fans of the cheek guards and preferred taller, broader helmets combined with mail, scale, or padded coifs.
>>
>>364108
>>364560
late era Roman aesthetics are so much better than early. Fuck these are gorgeous.
>>
>>364594
They just look like generic soldiers
>>
>>364609
Generic stuff can be good looking too. A lot of peasant dress etc. is brilliant.
>>
>>364560
>The Late Roman helmets offered better protection

Is there any source on that?
>>
>>364549
headbutting
>>
>>364549
Deflecting sabers, apparently
>>
File: 1323494711001.png (33 KB, 680x920) Image search: [Google]
1323494711001.png
33 KB, 680x920
>>364549
>>364707
It was more likely just to look fancy. They had plumes, which fell out of favor and the spike became more stylized.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.