[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sx ttk5REkM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: PragerU.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
PragerU.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
Is she right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sxttk5REkM
>>
>>363692
No.
>>
>>363692
>Misidentifies tragedy
>Greatest writer of the English language
>Appeal to buzz words
>Misidentifies humanism
>Misidentifies the function of the University (Theology, Medicine)
>Dominant ideology
She's not read Gramsciā€¦
>Knowledge / wisdom
>Founding fathersā€¦ most stable and free republic
>Healthy scepticism about human nature

The most abhorrent element of her argument is her total failure to understand what a tragedy is. It makes me throw up in my mouth.
>>
>>363715
Prager University is a hive of bitter right wing cranks pretending to be academics.
>>
>>363718
It is very hard to take an appeal to classicism seriously when someone believes that tragedy is stuff she doesn't like happening.
>>
>>363730
can you define a tragedy for me then? genuinely curious
>>
What's so great about Shakespeare anyway? We had to read some of his stuff in highschool and it was lame as fuck
>>
>>363735
Hubris causing the necessary radical transformation of the position of the lead character, typically through a fall rather than a rise, usually involving death. Typically the high necessarily brought low by their own hubris to the point of their death or a catastrophic loss of status. In modernism you get low tragedy which involves the low brought to a state of existential angst or absurdity (Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead, Waiting for Godot), or Brechtian anti-tragedies where the catharsis is suspended into an action required from the audience.
>>
>>363744
>What's so great about Shakespeare anyway?
Perfect transvestite melocomedy, nationalist histories, some of the few great tragedies of the human race. Witty cunt. Master of sex lines. Awesome characterisation. Five act plays aimed at student lawyers who were /r9k/esque in their inability to marry so full of marriage fantasies and dirty jokes. Did I mention that he actually wrote a series of competent tragedies? Pretty much the first ones since the Greeks, and the last one before the theatre of the absurd?
>>
>>363692
>Prager University

More fine academic work from the people who brought you "Line graph of artistic quality over time" and other accidental satires.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176KRhEAgUs

This channel is absurd.
>>
>>363744
if you're serious then you're legitimately retarded and should just give up now.
>>
>>363692
Yes.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.