[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what can you tell me about the olmec culture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: olmec head.jpg (15 KB, 250x254) Image search: [Google]
olmec head.jpg
15 KB, 250x254
what can you tell me about the olmec culture?
>>
Only what you could find in Wikipedia.
>>
>>362507
Were they really Africans that had emigrated to MesoAfrica?
>>
File: 1442121205676.jpg (36 KB, 690x422) Image search: [Google]
1442121205676.jpg
36 KB, 690x422
Americans need to shut up native americans don't all look like Plains Indians
>>
WE
>>
>>362518

I DO NOT THINK SO.

OLMECS WERE A CROMAGNID PEOPLE, AND THE LAST CROMAGNON CULTURE, REMAINING UNTIL EARLY HISTORICAL TIMES.

IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT ORIGINAL CROMAGNONS FIRST AROSE IN WESTERN EUROPA, AND CONSIDERING THAT THE CENTRE OF OLMEC CULTURE WAS LOCATED IN EASTERN MESOAMERICA, I INFER THAT THERE WAS A COMMON DIFFUSION POINT; A PRIMITIVE HOMELAND OR URHEIMAT, FOR BOTH, EUROPEAN, AND AMERICAN, CROMAGNID POPULATIONS SOMEWHERE IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN.
>>
>>362547
WUZ
>>
>>363111

>OLMECS WERE A CROMAGNID PEOPLE, AND THE LAST CROMAGNON CULTURE, REMAINING UNTIL EARLY HISTORICAL TIMES.

Absolute rubbish lad. Cromagnons were definitionally Euros. Olmec art depicts Mesoamerican features and there is no reason to suspect that it did not in this reflect reality.
>>
>>362547
this meme needs to die
>>
>>363154

1. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY IGNORANT REGARDING THE CROMAGNON.

2. "EURO" IS DEMONYMICAL PREFIX, NOT A RACIONYM, NOR AN ETHNONYM.

3. "MESOAMERICAN" IS A DEMONYM, NOT A RACIONYM, NOR AN ETHNONYM.

4. MOST "ANCIENT" CIVILIZATIONS COMPRISED MULTIPLE ETHNICITIES UNDER ONE RULE COMPOSED BY AN ETHNICALLY HOMOGENOUS PEOPLE.

THE FACT THAT IN SOME ARTISTIC DEPICTIONS, THERE IS ONLY ONE ETHNICITY DEPICTED DOES NOT INDICATE, NOR ENTAIL, THAT THE RULING PEOPLE WERE OF THAT ETHNICITY, THUS, IF INDIVIDUALS OF "TYPICAL AMERINDIAN FEATURES" WERE DEPICTED IN GRAPHICAL, OR PLASTIC, ART BY OLMECS, THE ONLY INDICATION IS THAT PEOPLES WITH "TYPICAL AMERINDIAN FEATURES" LIVED IN OLMEC SOCIETY.
>>
>>363111
>>363242
I honestly hope this guy gets shot
>>
>>362507
They are considered the mother civilization of mesoamerica. Their traits such as bloodletting, the ballgame, and mathematics (create the idea of zero despite being disconnected from otber major eurasian civilizations whaaaaa????), became common throughout all of mesoamerican cultures. Their art is pretty cool too. Imho it shows the facial features that promote a pacific islander contact with the area.
>>
>>363265
Why? Because you can't refute him?
>>
>>363290
They inspired the Mayans despite being younger than them.
>>
>>363325
>defending a tripfag
>>
>>363265
I find his oblivious personality rather charming, although he's a lot smarter than he lets on. Have you visited his tumblr? He combines a unique attempt at the vaporwave aesthetic with an unabashed embrace of pop-psychology quizzes and a personal philosophy that seems to be trichotomy based. His creative writing conveys a deep sense of ennui and jamais vu, and he also makes music.
>>
>>363334
Fuck off, idiot
>>
>>362507

You could start by running to the room of the three gargoyles. Push in the right tongue, and a door might lead you down the staircase into the wall climb. Here you must choose your next path. You could choose to climb into the observatory, spin the compass, and pass into the room of the golden idols. Once there, push down on their bases to release the doors. That may take you below, OR lead you into the shrine of the silver monkey. Assemble the statue there and you may be headed for the torch room! If the elevator is up, you could jump into the elevator and descend into the mine shaft. You might climb up the ladder, or plough through the stone wall. Find the key, and it may unlock the tombs of the ancient kings, allowing you to climb into the spider's lair! If you escape, you may have a chance to sit upon the throne of the pretender. If the correct door is unlocked, you'll be able to crawl into the pit of despair and finally make your way through the cave of sighs back to the temple gate. The choices are yours and yours alone. Good luck!
>>
>>363346
That's absolutely great, good for him.

The problem here is that nobody gives a shit.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 262x192
>>363361
>Tfw nostalgia
>>
>>363367
Stay mad, faggot.

>durrr I don't like somebody's posting style they deserve to be shot

Maybe a place like Reddit would suit you better?
>>
>>363372
>w-why don't people like it when someone uses a name and trip and posts in the most annoying possible way on a site that's supposed to encourage anonymous discussion?
>>
>>363378
>4chan encourages anonymous discussion

No, it doesn't.
>>
>>363384
Your argument is stupid and you can't even defend it

>4chan doesn't encourage anonymous discussion
>no account system
>anyone can immediately post without having to register
>by default no one will ever know who you are
>the extreme majority of users post anonymously
>tripfagging or in any way trying to stand out is looked down upon
>>
>>363402
Your reasoning is fallacious and you're an idiot.
>>
File: 2000px-Cascajal-text.svg.png (714 KB, 2000x3299) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Cascajal-text.svg.png
714 KB, 2000x3299
Shit thread, anons.

OP, if you want a book, read "Olmec Art at Dumbarton Oaks", it's freely available on Dumbarton Oaks website.
>>
>>363426
>>363350

Put back on your trip, pedophile
>>
>>363378
>why doesn't everyone like the exact same people I do?
>being against the hivemind means you have to do it

Nah/
>>
>>362518
Debunked. Their descendants look almost the same and have no African blood in them.
>>
>>364740
Olmec people are extinct.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.