[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who first popularized the idea of historical progress?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 1449293221982.jpg (152 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
1449293221982.jpg
152 KB, 800x527
Who first popularized the idea of historical progress?
>>
>>361357
Modernism and its predecessors
>>
Marx.
>>
>>361365
>first
>and its predecessors
>>
>>361365
Progressive history started with the early modern period?

>>361368
I know for sure that's bullshit, because Hegel is big about historical progress.
>>
>>361370
If you weren't being a smartass you'd realize that you can trace everything back to Adam and Eve but also that movements and ideas don't appear out of thin air.
>>
>>361357
literally St. Augustine
>>
>>361387
You ask popularized, not invented.
>>
>>361416
I know it was popularized before Marx, certainly, because the Founding Fathers all subscribed to it due to Locke.
>>
>>361425
Did they? Well at least Jefferson explecitly didn't.
>>
>>361397
t h i s
h
i
s
>>
>>361387
>Progressive history started with the early modern period?
What does "progressive history" even mean? History progresses and will continue to do so.

"Progressiveness" is something else. It believes that history has been moving towards an ideal state in a linear fashion with anti-progressive hurdles along the way such as despotism and religion. Progressives make a conscious effort to "progress" to this ideal and avoid or destroy imagined hurdles. Usually the entire status quo is viewed as a hurdle.

It's different from plain revolution by being totalizing in scope, rather than some kneejerk political movement.
>>
Hegel
>>
>>361437
They were Lockeboos, weren't they?
>>
>>361465
>History progresses and will continue to do so.
To what end?

History is a chaos of documents read into meaning by professional cretins, and I'm one of those cretins. There is no teleos except in political movements, and we have a board for that shit, >>>/pol/

Fucking whig history teleological shits.
>>
Heraklitus.
>>
Why do North Americans think it's ok to wear brown shoes with a suit? I notice it's only Yanks and Canadians who do this.
>>
>>362308
Brown shoes should be worn with brown, green and tweed suits you cretin.
>>
>>361391
Tell me about the indoor plumbing adam and eve were doing senpai
>>
>>362346
and marine suits
>>
>>362308
You don't have a clue what you're talking about, you can wear brown shoes with almost any color of suit
yuropoors confirmed for being brain dead when it comes to clothes
>>
>>362308
Because you match your shoes to your belt, not your suit.
>>
>>361357
What kind of PM sits like that? This guy is a joke.
>>
>>362636
He's from Canada guy I don't know what you expect
>>
>>362308
Trudeau is peacocking as always. He can't get away with hipster fascial hair anymore because it's unpriminesteral.
>>
>>361397
Elaborate please
>>
>>361465
>What does "progressive history" even mean?
Basically you definition of "progressiveness", but applied to history. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whig_history
>>
Invented: Christianity
Popularized: 18th century France and Britain
>>
How do they deal with times of decline?
Say, Athens in the times of Socrates, Rome after Marcus Aurelius died or some of those Chinese Dynastic cycles.
>>
>>364571
Well, progress doesn't necessarily mean linear progression. Temporary decline might usher in more progress thanks to clearing out outdated political and social systems. Also see: List der Vernunft.
>>
>>361365
I don't really agree with that, because many of the modern thinkers like Nietzsche, Dostoevsky, Ibsen and others staunchly denied the idea of historical progress. I would argue that it was the probably the renascence that popularized the idea, or at the very latest the enlightenment era thinkers.
>>
>>361368
well Hegel before him
>>
>>364556
Christians thinks things will get really shitty though, not progressively better.
>>
>>364571
>>364582
Anti-progressives managed to get in power and hoodwink the people into moving against progress.

>>367128
If you want to get technical it comes from Zoroastrianism. That is, the belief there is a single "end point" of history that people must work towards.
>>
>>367188
>If you want to get technical it comes from Zoroastrianism. That is, the belief there is a single "end point" of history that people must work towards.
Christians never believed in working toward it until postmillenialism became a thing.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.