[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The bible is the greatest history book ever. What is his favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: bible.jpg (264 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
264 KB, 1200x900
The bible is the greatest history book ever. What is his favorite story from the good book?
>>
File: smug anime 2.jpg (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
smug anime 2.jpg
20 KB, 250x250
>>36097
>The bible is the greatest history book ever.
>>
30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father.
>>
>>36097
>inb4 nothing ever happened

I recommend "pharaohs and kings: a biblical quest". Should clear some things up.

>>36124
>Taken from DaBibelIzHomobobik.com
>>
>>36109
It is . Personally I believe that it us literal so yes, it is the most accurate record of the chosen people of God and their amazing story of military conquest and rule.
>>
>>36204
>treating the Bible as one book and not a collection of books of various degrees of reliability
>>
>>36145
>>Taken from DaBibelIzHomobobik.com
It's from Genesis you mong. And it's not taken out of context or anything, I'm not sure what that anon's point was in posting it though.
>>
>>36124
It's an allegory for the Israelite tribes' hostility and distrust of the Moabite and Ammonite tribes.
God also inspired Moses to explain how the Israelites were related to the other peoples living in the area. The Moabites who lived just east of the Dead Sea and the Ammonites who occupied the countryside north of Moab were both tribes related by blood to Abraham as they descend from his nephew (Gen. 19:37–38). But given the incestuous origins of Moab and Ammon, we are not surprised that contact with these peoples often brought much trouble for Abraham’s children as these peoples sinned like their parents. Moab led Israel into Baal worship on its way into Canaan (Num. 25:1–3). Both the Ammonites and the Moabites hired Balaam to curse Israel as it journeyed toward the Promised Land and were thus forbidden to enter the Lord’s assembly (Deut. 23:3–4).

It's effectively a propaganda piece for the superiority of the Israelites among the twelve tribes.
>>
>>36487
>LOOK THIS HAPPENED AND IT'S BAD BY OUR SOCIETY HURRRR

I assume he literally thinks it's not based more or less on real events.
>>
>>36204
>taking bible literally
>what is alexandrian school
>what is origen

I cringe when Christians 1800 years ago are being more sane and rational compared to Christians of today.
>>
>>36591
>its only not literal when i dont like it
>>
File: 1428314087487-0.png (228 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1428314087487-0.png
228 KB, 4500x4334
>>36600
>I'm an ignorant Christian who knows nothing of allegorical interpretation
>literally believing earth is 6000 years old.
>>
>>36503
It's a true story of God's people. Everything in the bible us literally true with no exceptions.
>>
>>36679
so you are a YEC?
>>
>>36600
>The Book of Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Ecclesiastes, Revelations, and Minor Prophet Books are all historical documentation texts.
>>
>>36698
Yes.you can trace the exact date of creation using the bible to October 21
>>
stupid bait is stupid
>>
>>36735
>you can trace the exact date of creation using the bible to October 21
How? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>36744
You cannot study history without studying the bible. It's the oldest book and inspired directly by our creator to be infallible
>>
File: 1428314087487-1.png (59 KB, 324x522) Image search: [Google]
1428314087487-1.png
59 KB, 324x522
>>36735
your kind still exist? top kek
don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you literally believe earth is 6k years old .

I would say go back to octochan's /christian/ but they would also smack your ass

>>36793
genealogy and adding numbers you can get an exact date of creation, Byzantine chronicles did the same thing and their dating of event were accordingly so

>In 4325th year of creation Constantine become emperor

etc
>>
File: ISHYGDDT2.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ISHYGDDT2.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>>36109
>implying its not
I see your smug anime face and raise you an ISHYGDDT
>>
File: c3VKKH9.jpg (5 KB, 249x242) Image search: [Google]
c3VKKH9.jpg
5 KB, 249x242
>>36825
>You cannot study history without studying the bible
yes you can, easily

what has the Bible got to do with the Peloponnesian War?

>It's the oldest book
no it isn't
>and inspired directly by our creator to be infallible
pic related

if this is bait or shitposting then you should know that you are neither clever nor amusing and ironic shitposting is still shitposting

stop trying to ruin a perfectly good new board with your autism
>>
>>36793
Start at the daydreams entered Jerusalem and work your way back to Adam using the genealogies contained in the bible. Methuselah lived to be 969 so it can be tricky but iirc October 21 was the day God created Adams 6022 years ago
>>
>>36829
45% of all Americans reject evolution in favor of young earth creationism
>>
>>36910
This is baffling to me because less than 40% are against gay marriage.
>>
>>36910
I refuse to believe this. I live in the Bible Belt and I've only met one or two people who take that shit seriously. Yeah it's anecdotal evidence but 40% is just too retarded to be true.
>>
>>36910
"Religious, less educated, and older respondents were likelier to espouse a young Earth creationist view — that life was created some 6,000 to 10,000 years ago — according to the poll."
That's a Gallup poll by the way.
>>
>>36977
>>36931
PRINCETON, NJ -- More than four in 10 Americans continue to believe that God created humans in their present form 10,000 years ago, a view that has changed little over the past three decades. Half of Americans believe humans evolved, with the majority of these saying God guided the evolutionary process.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx
>>
>>37035
Wait, which is it? 6000 or 10000?
>>
>>37070
It's between 6-10k years.
>>
The story of Ananias and Sapphira, it's in the New Testament and involves god killing them for not being good communists and giving all their money to the church.

The story of Job, where Satan and Yahweh hang out in heaven chatting like buddies watching a sports game making bets on how mad Job is going to get as they kill all his family and slaves and take all his money and give him diseases is also a good one.
>>
>>37106
So they can calculate what day of the year it was based on the Bible, but not what millenium?
>>
>>37189
When god was telling King James what to write down he kind of smudged a few of the numbers by accident. Hard to tell if its a 7 or a 9.

He probably should have waited until word processors were invented, or at least pencils.
>>
>>37283
>King James
>What are Greek translations
>What are any fucking translations that came before the English one because Jesus was a jew who preached in Palestine

U retarded nigga
>>
>>37283

You shouldn't judge god. Three years on foot in ancient Palestine was more than enough.
>>
>>37366
>Not capitalising God

Confirmed baiter. We can go home guys.
>>
>>37412

It was intended to be obvious mockery.

I'm not one of the Christian posters.

Maybe we need IDs?
>>
>>37532
>Maybe we need IDs?
God no.
>>
>>37552
>God no.

This is blasphemy.
>>
I always like Kings 2:23-24
>Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!"
>When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.
>gets called baldy by some kids
>tells bears to go fuck their shit up
>>
The babylonian floot story there.
>>
>And Lot's wife, of course, was told not to look back where all those people and their homes had been. But she did look back, and I love her for that, because it was so human.
So she was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes.
>>
>>36679
Funny how the church fathers never saw it as such. Certain parts are literal, all of the new testament aside apocalypse and some of the old testament. But genesis is not.
>>
>>39113

The church fathers definitely saw the apocalypse as literal.

Early Christians all believed Jesus was about to show up any minute to usher in the end of the world.

When you see how many evangelical denominations in the US still insist it is going to happen any minute you can see what the NT teaches anyone that takes it literally and takes it seriously.
>>
>>36097
The one where the hot babe tricks the nigga and then cuts off his head and her side wins the battle

shits hot senpai
>>
Why did God genocide so many people?
>>
>>36097
My main problem with the Bible is that the word of God has been bent to reflect Science and current philosophy because "It's just a metaphor" too many goddamn times. The early Christians straight up believed Adam and Eve, until some evidence defied it, and then it's just a metaphor. Shit like that happened OVER AND OVER. You can't just pick and choose what words to believe.
>>
>>40703
It was, it just didn't form instantly. By that time you had something clearly formed, I didn't say it originated then.
If it was clearly formed then it means it was there a long time ago, something like the dogma of purgatory or immaculate conception.
>>39462
Those weren't the church fathers, those were early Christians.
>>
>>40838
>Those weren't the church fathers, those were early Christians.

Is there a significant difference?

>>40473

He didn't except in Jewish mythology. Those stories are certainly pretty sick though.

Five minutes reading the OT puts to bed any Christian willy waving about morality.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.