[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did imperial and nazi germany have such an obsession with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 1409791445669.jpg (171 KB, 720x939) Image search: [Google]
1409791445669.jpg
171 KB, 720x939
Why did imperial and nazi germany have such an obsession with Rome when they were the fucking barbarians during the rule of Rome?

Didn't they realize that the Italians were the Romans? Does Italy having a city literally named Rome not give it away?
>>
Because "muh holy roman empire". Pay attention.
>>
Everyone is obsessed with Rome.
>>
>>360638
they knew and they allied with them.
>>
>>360656
But the holy roman empire was italians. So why did imperial germany have a king who called himself the fucking KAISER?
>>
>>360638
>Why did imperial and nazi germany have such an obsession with Rome when they were the fucking barbarians during the rule of Rome?
I don't see the conflict here.

>>360746
>But the holy roman empire was italians
no
>>
>>360835
>no

yes
>>
>>360746

>The Holy Roman Empire was Italians

Literally what?
>>
File: HRR_1789_EN[1].png (3 MB, 2650x2160) Image search: [Google]
HRR_1789_EN[1].png
3 MB, 2650x2160
>>360746
>holy roman empire was italians.
Do this look like a boot to you?
>>
>>360638
Because when the Western Roman Empire fell, it created a very vast power vacuum, and for close to two thousand years, people have been trying to fill it. It's not about being Roman or any of that, it's about being recognized as the masters of Europe.

>>360746
Okay, in 800-ish, Otto I united central Europe under the Holy Roman Empire after Charlemagne's death, and was crowned the Emperor of the Romans by the Pope. He was not Roman, nor was his empire particularly Holy. The point was that he was recognized as one of the de facto rulers of Europe. People used the title Emperor of the Romans as a way to assert their dominion and strength of the land. In a way, it was saying that they had the biggest dick out of anyone in Europe.

Anyways, Otto I making the Holy Roman Empire established the First Reich. It lasted for around a thousand years until 1803 when Napoleon beat the shit out of Austria and disbanded the H.R.E.

In 1873-ish, Bismarck united the German lands in to the German Empire, establishing the Second Reich. Since the traditional title of Reich Emperors was Kaiser (Literally translating to Emperor), the rulers of the German Empire used it. Ergo, in WWI, you have a Kaiser.

>>361760
The Holy Roman Empire actually did own much of Italy at the beginning.
>>
>>360638
>WE WUZ EMPERORS
>>
>>360638
did they? have any sources i could read
>>
>>362410
Otto 1 Wasn't fucking born until 912 you stupid idiot
>>
>>362457
>>362410
Also HRE was disbanded in 1806 and the German Empire was founded in 1871, check your fucking dates before posting
>>
File: 1446899418046.png (359 KB, 1600x1659) Image search: [Google]
1446899418046.png
359 KB, 1600x1659
Because Germany is one of the descendants of Rome
>>
Italians aren't Romans any more than any other part of the empire.
>>
>>360660
Best answer IMO, would be refined by "all western powers" if western powers includes Russia
>>
>>362497
That's one pathetic graph.
>>
File: 1364759004886.png (515 KB, 738x649) Image search: [Google]
1364759004886.png
515 KB, 738x649
>>
>>362497
Papal appointments don't mean shit
Blood lineage or Latin blood or GTFO
>>
>>360638
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>>
>>362510
kek i love this meme
>>
>>362497
>Protestant Germany
>having papal decree
>>
>>362497
basically those lines connecting the top and bottom halves need to be removed for that timeline to have any semblence of a basis in reality rather than your fascist headcanon
>>
>>362602
Why? the chart does a good job of demonstrating why the HRE and Russia claimed to be Imperial. Just because their claim was illegitimate doesn't remove the fact their Imperial status came from claiming to be Rome's successor
>>
>>360638
Everyone was obsessed with Rome. Russia was obsessed with Rome. Ottomans were obsessed with Rome. France was obsessed with Rome. England to an extant was obsessed with Rome.
>>
>>360746
>KAISER
You mean how that's actually pronounced the same as Caesar and is basically the same position? I could never figure out why, either.

Definitely some mystery afoot.
>>
>>360638
>Didn't they realize that the Italians were the Romans?
Bruh Italians aren't even Romans. They're mainly Lombardic, with some Arab admixture in the south and Sicily.
>>
>>360638
Everybody loves a good rags-to-riches tale.
>>
>>362671
Fucking Italians are many things but Romans are fucking Romans
>>
>>362510
>butthurt history dweeb is upset that his bull kekmaster didnt acheive anything throughout history.png
>>
>>360746
Germans weren't the only ones to use a title named after Caesar.

Tsar for instance comes from Caesar and the Scandinavians had keiser. I believe Old English even had the word 'heahcasere'. The point is a lot of European cultures had a hard on for Rome.
>>
>>362654
>you will never be so rad that people use your name as the word for 'king' 2000 years after you die
>>
>>362793
That makes sense. Lots of different cultures used the word king, too.
>>
>>362671
retard
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.