[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fear death a lot more than I used to recently. The thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1451624030836.jpg (121 KB, 444x460) Image search: [Google]
1451624030836.jpg
121 KB, 444x460
I fear death a lot more than I used to recently.

The thought of nonexistence and my life being inconsequential is starting to irk me.

I know I wont care, because I wont exist. But the thought of not existing is pretty spooky.

How do you deal with the inevitability of death?
>>
>>505396
Faith, believing in a God, that my life has purpose and that my creator send me to this world for a special cause. If I believe in him, his greatness and obey his laws, he will grant me eternal peace and life after death.
>>
>>505396
I wish for death often but I'm too cowardly to kill myself. I'm comfy too, so it can wait. For as long as I've felt this way I've had a weird sort of romantic ideal of death and it's gotten to the point where I don't understand people who fear death in and of itself. My fear is not doing something worthwhile before death, and I kind of have a fear of dying too soon in that sense, but that's kind of assuaged by the fact that if I commit suicide I'd be dying on my own terms so I wouldn't feel like a failure. "Take up arms against a sea of troubles" kind of job.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 800x522
>>505396
Once you're dead, you too will be /his/tory
>>
Embrace it. You've got a short time with which to enjoy all the beauty the world has to offer, so go do so and make something beautiful of your life. The fact we exist only for a moment, are fully aware of this, yet continue to live is what makes human life beautiful.

Don't delude yourself with faith. When you die, you cease to exist. We've known this since ancient times and the comfortable lie of an eternal paradise will only leave you feeling rotten when the crushing weight of a meaningless universe destroys it, as it inevitably will.
>>
>>505396
Go read Kierkegaard, Camus, Sartre and DeBeauvoir.

Then post again.
>>
>>505459
Can you recommend some selected readings?
>>
File: Pl8i2gH.png (74 KB, 246x236) Image search: [Google]
Pl8i2gH.png
74 KB, 246x236
>>505396
>tfw one day the sweet embrace of death will end my chemical dependence on reality
>>
>>505443

r/atheism: The Post
>>
>>505470
Start with Camus' stranger.
>>
>>505396
You just have to accept the inevitable. You'll die, and that's it. Try and have fun until then.
>>
>>505416
So if I don't believe in him, but am still a good person by all definitions of morality, he would still deprive me of heaven?
>>
>>505616
Yes. He's kinda insecure apparently.
>>
>>505616
>by all definitions of morality
If you were a good person by all definitions of morality you would believe in and love God, for that is part of god's definition of morality, which is arguably the only definition that matters.

Consider it this way. If God is the greatest good in every sense then to not believe in him is not to know him and not knowing God is not knowing that which is truly good, so a person who does not know God cannot be a good person, their "goodness" is a pretense and a mockery of that which is actually good. Keep in mind that all of this is assuming that God is the greatest good.
>>
>>505571
Not him but I've read Camus' stranger and I don't know what point you want someone to take from the book.
>>
>>505433

too bad no one will ever post dank memes about you
>>
>>505759
Christian for a couple decades. That's a good summary
>>
>>505396

If you're under 30 and healthy, there's a very good chance that you will be able to take advantage of life extension or anti-aging therapies. you might be able to extend your life another 50 years, and hopefully reach the stage when immortality is achieved.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.