[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Infinite-past theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: homepage.png (128 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
homepage.png
128 KB, 1920x1080
If there was ever nothing in the Universe, there would always be nothing in the Universe but we know that this isn't true as we exist, therefore there must have always been something in the Universe, therefore the Infinite-past theory is true. Am I wrong /his/?
>>
>>503811
If time is infinite, then could it be true that in however many gorillian years, there will one day be a planet which is exactly the same as earth, has been through exactly the same events, with someone genetically identical to you who has had the exact same life and posts this exact same thread on a website called 4chan?
>>
Spatial and temporal metaphors got you fucked up, dawg

You are starting from the assumption of infinite time--'if there was nothing in the universe, then there was ALWAYS nothing'--and then drawing the (valid) conclusion that an 'infinite past' follows. But you're begging the question, so who cares?

Your first conditional statement is also wonky, which is made clearer by changing out the terms:

>If there was nothing in this cereal bowl, then there would always be nothing in this cereal bowl

Why would that be the case?
>>
File: sweating.png (184 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sweating.png
184 KB, 500x500
>>503914
So basically, everything that's happening right now has already happened, will happen again and we will not be aware of it?
We don't know when it started or when it will end?
>>
Because time is a relative thing. (Think black holes and how time effectively can come to a halt depending on your position relative to the black hole ie time dilation).
So.. Before the Big Bang it's outside of our event cone( everything that is today or ever was is in our circle of events)
So because everything before the Big Bang is not part of the event being our universe the laws of physics just wouldn't exist and seeing how time is easily manipulated and changed their is obviously no point even thinking what happens before. It could be possible time was = 0 for the entirety before the Big Bang. Thus nothing would be happening. It's just not possible to think or comprehend. There is no point basically.
>>
>>503961
I think I misunderstood what the word 'universe' meant. English is not my native language. I thought the Universe referred to everything in existence. In your analogy you mention the cereal bowl, are you suggesting that matter was added from an external source eg. Cereal box? Assume Faggotland is comprised of all of the matter in existence, everything that exists in any form in any way, if Faggotland was ever nothing then Faggotland would always be nothing, nothing can come out of nothing, but we are here today, from this we can deduce with absolute certainty that there was never nothing in Faggotland, meaning there was always something in Faggotland, proving the Infinite-past theory.
>>
>>504139
The Big Bang had to be caused by something, meaning an action occured and an action can only occur when matter can move, meaning time could not have been = 0. There couldn't have just been an explosion out of nowhere, so this doesn't really contradict what I've said
>>
>>504169
>>504187

The theses of infinite time/space and of primary causation are contradictory. You cannot hold them both simultaneously without reducing either to nonsense.
>>
>>504187
You're applying logic only possible in our universe. Who's to say that the logic before the creation of the universe is even applicable to ours?
>>
I believe you're right. Nothing can't create something, even with all the quantum physics in the world. A divine creator only raises more questions than the ones it answers, so the only plausible explanation is: there was always something. Time started with the Big Bang, and our universe as we know it, but there was already something, always there.
>>
>>504371
I don't see how logic would differ from Universe to Universe, would the fundamental laws of how matter interacts with other matter not be constant?
>>
>>504346
Except I don't hold views of primary causation, only of infinite time/space
>>
File: 1311385220840.jpg (232 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1311385220840.jpg
232 KB, 500x491
>>503811
The universe is an eternally inflating fractal of "regions". Each region is slightly different (in laws and substances) from quantum fluctuations from before the universe expanded and cooled. It follows from the same theory that many regions of this multi-faceted universe will collapse and start the whole process over again, causing more multi-faceted universes to emerge from the original one. And so on. There is nothing we know that could stop this process, so it must go on forever—and may already have. So if inflation did occur, and it was chaotic, then nearly every possible universe would exist, including ours.

Google "eternal inflation"
>>
>>503973
Fuck off Nietzsche
>>
>>504434

How does the casual chain 'get started' then?
>>
>>504472

You know it in your heart to be true, Rust. I can see it in your eyes.
>>
>>504475
No idea, I've shown that there was never nothing but that's it
>>
>>504512

You haven't, you're still being the question.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.