[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You will never live in a society where: >everyone knows each
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: Vikings__Athelstan-E.jpg (127 KB, 686x385) Image search: [Google]
Vikings__Athelstan-E.jpg
127 KB, 686x385
You will never live in a society where:

>everyone knows each other and is related to one another
>people give their money and riches to monasterys and churches to support those who work for your God, spreading the good news and also supporting the underlying culture of your people
>where monasteries exist in the first place and are places disillusioned young men can find purpose
>having available jobs everywhere which you can start as a 10 year old
>a real sense of community exists and is so important you latch onto it for survival because foreigners live in lands next to yours and will kill you if your society is not united
>ample free land is all around you alot of it is not owned by anyone and there is nothing stopping you from venturing into a forest and living beside a stream
>>
>>491624
This is rose-tinted goggles. The theocracies of the past were just as corrupted-if not a great deal more corrupt, than the corporations and secular governments of today.

Also things were far less safe back than. Traveling was very dangerous, you could easily be captured and sold as a slave. You did have more community but this came at an extreme cost the individual: for instance your marriage would have been arranged and you would most likely be born a peasant that would never learn to read. Being poor and uneducated you would have little choice but to do the same thing your father did, or if you were a woman to spend your entire 45 year life span raising children half of whom would die of a disease before your eyes due to the poor conditions of serfdom.
>>
>>491659
This.
Romanticizing history is absolute cancer
>>
>>491659
>The theocracies of the past were just as corrupted-if not a great deal more corrupt, than the corporations and secular governments of today.
You are a stooge of the highest order.
>>
>>491624
>people give their money and riches to monasterys and churches to support those who work for your God, spreading the good news and also supporting the underlying culture of your people

Honestly this had more to do with securing a place in heaven than some sort of high-minded love for their "underlying culture." Kings and nobles were in a particular bind because their occupation, which was essentially violence, was directly contrary to the teachings of their religion. The founding and support of monasteries was a way to try to buy their way into paradise. After all, if a thousand very holy men are praying to God to let you into heaven (because you paid for them to do it), surely He won't sweat those dudes you killed?
>>
>>492377
>The theocracies of the past were just as corrupted-if not a great deal more corrupt, than the corporations and secular governments of today.
People gave away money because it was the only way that monks and other church members could eat food and continue their work. Sorry if it's so shocking to you that there existed Christian societies which was based on Christian principals and culture.
>>
>>492382
>Sorry if it's so shocking to you that there existed Christian societies which was based on Christian principals and culture.
>Being this Naive.
>>
>>491624
You will live in a society where:
>everyone can find anyone they want to know
>people give their money and riches to vast, global efforts that have been massively successful in eradicating disease and poverty
>skyscrapers
>has jobs (medieval societies did not have jobs as we know them, read a book)
>foreigners probably will not even try to kill you once
>infinite cybernetic memespace is open to you
>>
>>492388
>thinking all societies before now were just animalistic hedonistic capitalist shitfests
See, this is how I know you are a product of media indoctrination and cultural conditioning. The globalists in power want to make sure that no one has any idea that life could be any different, this is why Africa and Asia is being developed at such a fast pace and indoctrinated into the capitalist Western perspective.
>>492392
>everyone can find anyone they want to know
How? By interacting with a glowing screen? In the past people were born into areas where people would share the same interests and background. Now though, people are scattered over the 4 corners of the Earth. Take this thread for example, I'm not going to find luddites because I'm using the internet on a website for technology worshipping anime nerds.
>people give their money and riches to vast, global efforts that have been massively successful in eradicating disease and poverty
Yet poverty and disease still exist. In fact when disease treatments are invented they are capitalized on and sold for 100 or even 1000 times the original price.
>skyscrapers
Wow I get to live in one tiny cubicle my whole life while I then go to work in an even smaller cubicle after fighting traffic and street congestion of mindless consumerism driven zombies for 3 hours.
>has jobs (medieval societies did not have jobs as we know them, read a book)
You're right. Medieval people were more free than the modern man is. Medieval people only worked 6-8 months of the year.
>foreigners probably will not even try to kill you once
WHAT? HAVE YOU HEARD OF A PLACE CALLED SWEDEN???
>infinite cybernetic memespace is open to you
Well that's a relief, at least I can laugh at frog pictures and post about my suicide dreams.
>>
>>492413
>waaaah my fairytale image of monastic societies is being challenged - the post.
>>
>>492413
>How? By interacting with a glowing screen?
And meeting the people who are behind them eventually.
>In the past people were born into areas where people would share the same interests
Fuck no. People in villages weren't automatic drones.
>Now though, people are scattered over the 4 corners of the Earth.
So as before. Hell, before it was even worse as people were so hidebound they were hostile to visiting cunts from the next village.
>Take this thread for example, I'm not going to find luddites because I'm using the internet on a website for technology worshipping anime nerds.
The go look for luddites then.
>Yet poverty and disease still exist.
Its even far more worse before as there were little to no cures for many of them. Not to mention you're probably a first world faggot so shut the fuck up with poverty.
>In fact when disease treatments are invented they are capitalized on and sold for 100 or even 1000 times the original price.
And you were happy giving the same amount to monks who...would use it for something else other than benefitting you? Fucking kek
>You're right. Medieval people were more free than the modern man is. Medieval people only worked 6-8 months of the year.
This meme again. Its only true for farmers as it is dependent on their crops. Other than that they did other trades. As for Medieval Urbanites, they worked almost 24/7. Also they made almost everything themselves. Clothes, tables and chairs, you name it. Enjoy your free time nigger.
>WHAT? HAVE YOU HEARD OF A PLACE CALLED SWEDEN???
It has a high quality of life yes. And one of the most modern places on the planet.

And oh yeah, Europe of today isnt the warring shithole that it was in the feudal ages.
>>
>>491624
you mean
>you will never live in a society riddled with hereditary diseases
>where you have to give money to churches and monasteries or get excommunicated or killed for being a heretic
>where monasteries exist because the church wants more money
>where jobs do not exist
>where your community is so important that you get taken out of it to fight wars on the other end of the continent all the time
>where land is owned by a king and living innawoods literally makes you a criminal
>>
> jobs didn't exist in the middle ages

lolwut?
>>
>>492456
not in the way as we know them... you couldn't just apply to become a candlemaker or a woodcarver, you had to belong to a guild which was a hereditary thing or at best a place where your family bought you a spot (nono for poor people)... you literally did not work for a wage because you were too busy trying to survive (at least up until the age of the explorers and the wealth that brought with it)
>>
>>491624
>where monasteries exist in the first place and are places disillusioned young men can find purpose

Monasteries still exist. You can go there to find purpose. I have met some monks recently and they looked super peaceful and comfy
>>
>>492463
Find me a non-catholic Christian monastery in Australia which you can join for free and as a layperson and I will go there.
>>
>>492460

Hows that any different than needing to go to university for basically any job today? The masters in the guild may not have received a wage, but he was runnjng his own business. The journeymen workimg for him received wages.
>>
>>492481
Because that was literally 1% of the population (if even that) most people were too busy surviving to earn wages...
>>
File: 7758256968_d7e32be42c_o.jpg (1 MB, 2592x3431) Image search: [Google]
7758256968_d7e32be42c_o.jpg
1 MB, 2592x3431
>>491624
The closest to that is places like Afghanistan, but they're mostly Muslim.
>>
>>492469
I thought you were from Sweden
just join a Catholic one
>>
>>492382
and today the government gives away money too. It's called food-stamps. This doesn't mean the government isn't corrupt.

The theocratic government also had it's version of food stamps and was also corrupt. The church had the power to collect taxes and would sometimes do so in the name of spiritual protection, the tax would go to protecting the people from black magic. Have you read the The Canterbury Tales? It's probably the most important writing from the medevil period and even in that it shows priests as being corrupt and concerned with money, the money didn't always go to the poor. Sometimes the priests would keep it for themself. Just like today government money doesn't all go to food stamps.
>>
>>491624
But I do live in a small Balkan town

Wouldn't want to go back to a metropolis ever again
>>
>>493161
Where man?
>>
File: 1384973917121.png (26 KB, 889x737) Image search: [Google]
1384973917121.png
26 KB, 889x737
>>492443
>>
>>491624
i was born in a small village that was a lot like that and trust me it's terrible
i like the freedom of living in a city a lot more
>>
File: serf.jpg (37 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
serf.jpg
37 KB, 600x456
Historically, the only reason why people leave traditional peasant communities is because they are forced by outside forces. See the Enclosures in England or dekulakization in the Soviet Union.

Feudalism, specially if the aristocrats are bros like in the Basque Country or in the Vendée, is best -ism.
>>
>>494800
The serf thing is wrong on a few major things.

Age of marriage averaged early to late 20s in the developed parts of Europe.

The 1/3rd thing is closer to 27% of the days and agricultural work never really stops, even on feast days.

Again in much of developed western Europe the two generation nuclear family was the norm, only southern Europe had those three generation households.
>>
>>491624
>to support those who work for your God
>your God
>your
kekek
>>
File: serfs.jpg (24 KB, 294x463) Image search: [Google]
serfs.jpg
24 KB, 294x463
>>494800
More like this.
>>
>>492353
which makes you a stooge of the lowest one?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.