[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you still associate a person's body with "them"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: CHTS046UYAAozhu.jpg (117 KB, 1024x999) Image search: [Google]
CHTS046UYAAozhu.jpg
117 KB, 1024x999
Do you still associate a person's body with "them"?

Would we say that bodies were people if we could transplant brains into other bodies?
>>
What a stupid fucking thread.
>>
What do you mean? Are you implying that the "soul" is separate from the body? Also there is nothing such as a soul, it's a made up concept like god.
>>
File: blankfaces.jpg (62 KB, 816x1056) Image search: [Google]
blankfaces.jpg
62 KB, 816x1056
>>358244
I take it that you do.

The symbolic environment that we are thrust in situates the body as you while contradicting this by saying it is yours.

But the face only manipulates.
>>
>>358161
>Do you still associate a person's body with "them"?
No. I don't even associate their whole brain with them. I feel like theres a small part of your brain which is you, your conciousness and core personality, which is on top of a physical animal and brain, and it could possibly be removed from all this.
>>
>if
if my sister had testicles she would be my brother
>>
>>358301
seems like a strange answer that only really serves to answer objections like the one OP makes
>>
yes for me other people are the bodies I see and talk to

the thing about others is that there is nothing 'other' about them. if I take away my experience of sight, sound, touch etc, what's left isn't some transcendent experience which has the nature of looking back at me, it's nothing

this is because the "transcendent experience which looks back" is itself just an idea in my mind, it's an idea which I have about the bodies around me - my own theorizing. and so, being my own, it too must go with sight, touch etc, when being taken away

leaving nothing

basically what I am saying is others are constituted entirely by my own experience. others are what they look like to me, what they sound like to me, etc, and also my own idea that there is some sort of transcendent (to my own experience) existing experience which I theorize that has the nature of being a visual experience of what they would call my body/me.

every part of other people is contained within my own experience
>>
>>358525
How I see it is there's a you for each person which knows you and one for yourself. When it come to what makes someone I would say that it's his memory and how he interprets it. That's also why I'm more afraid of Alzeimer than anything else I guess, losing your memories is losing yourself.
Also, regarding what OP said, I think that if you transfer your memories to another body in order to stay alive of whatever, you'll still be someone else since some parameters will change (I'm thinking about thyroid and other stuff which could change the chemistry in your brain or the way you react to things).
>>
File: 1394419575335.jpg (131 KB, 1181x1186) Image search: [Google]
1394419575335.jpg
131 KB, 1181x1186
>>358161
Depends what you mean. Ultimately all creatures in the world have some form of "physical" presence. But their bodies as designated piece of matter is different.

Even if you don't count bod transplant, we are made of different materials by eating and formation of new cells.

As for identifying the body not by material but as a structure, there is the possibility of transplanting. Say for instance, that only the brain is linked to someone. First there is no reason to think some parts of the brain would not be replaceable. Second, what if we completely turn someone so that he doesn't have any organ similar to his prior body? Even in the wild some animals go through such a process.

>>358286
Seriously nigger?
>>
>>358161
Why does this image disturb me so much?
>>
>>359448
>Dem feels when you died and your soul was locked in your body and a mad scienttist pulled yourbrain, eyes and nervous system out of your body and left you there looking like a goofy squid type thing
>>
File: car broke phone yes.png (112 KB, 266x314) Image search: [Google]
car broke phone yes.png
112 KB, 266x314
>>358161
Car broke. Phone yes.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.