[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been listening to dan carlin's hardcore history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: HH-current-239x239[1].jpg (21 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
HH-current-239x239[1].jpg
21 KB, 239x239
I've been listening to dan carlin's hardcore history podcast for a few weeks. started from the beginning and now i'm almost one with Part 4 of his Ghosts of the Ostfront series about the WW2 eastern front and think it has been amazing. Even the stuff about the Punic Wars which I didn't think I would give a shit about were awesome.

The only thing I don't listen to and literally skip past are his interviews with other historians. Don't care at all for those

What do you guys think of this podcast? Is it just pleb shit or it it widely acclaimed? And what are some other great history podcasts
>>
>>357557

Amusing lies for morons.

Go to bed Dan.
>>
>>357560

Note to OP: Hating Dan Carlin is a meme
>>
>>357557
He's a really good storyteller. And he enjoys history but he's not a historian and shouldn't be treated as such.
He's a gateway into actual history, but at the end of the day it's entertainment.
>>
>>357557
I think he's great and iv listened to him instead of music in the car or going to class.

His countdown to Armageddon stuff is pretty fantastic in itself. He states multiple times he isnt a historian but he gives a very detailed view of whats happening across all theaters so its nice to have if you want just that, a general, detailed view of a war or event.

Havent listened to his political podcast, is it any good? Why is he hated here?
>>
>>357646
>Why is he hated here?
Because OP is commercially marketing him two or three times a day on /his/.
>>
He is pretty good. I also listen to In Our Time, Emperors of Rome and War Time. If you have a lot of time to listen, then you might also want to look into proper audio books.
>>
For anyone with a negative opinion of him, does he actually get important things wrong? I don't care about a flavorful presentation so long as I'm not getting outright bullshit.
>>
His one about the Mongolians is the best.
>>
>>357673
History is a disciplinary (historiographical) and theoretical discipline based on the close reading of primary sources, and the readings being historiographically valid.

Carlin gets almost everything wrong. Mis-weighted, out of date causations, errors of direct fact and interpretation, a failure to appreciate the "totality" of the documentary record with a pathetic focus on "boy issue" themes.

If he makes you excited about history, transition to real history via The Great War (Youtube), Russia's War: Blood on the Snow (BBC/Ch4, then Overy's book), and eventually go read EP Thompson.
>>
>>357675
My favorite is Prophets of Doom
>>
>>357666
In Our Time is probably my favourite podcast of all time. Melvyn is my hero.

Although lately I've been listening to the History Extra podcast. It goes along with the BBC History Extra magazine. The podcast is mainly interviews with historians who have a new book out but sometimes a single hour long lecture from a historian about something. There's one about the SOE in Italy that's great and another good one about the Peasants Revolt.
>>
File: obongo.png (192 KB, 472x486) Image search: [Google]
obongo.png
192 KB, 472x486
>>357646
>Havent listened to his political podcast, is it any good?
I like it because my personal views align with his, but he makes an honest attempt to address both sides of the issue while adding his perspective.

To me he comes off as a somewhat Left leaning libertarian. But I like his political show mostly because he often will cite historical examples of similar situations and how the US reacted at that point in time.
>>
>>357680
>Carlin gets almost everything wrong
Nothing really big though from what I've read. Mostly trivial stuff really but the only one I remember is him talking about how Genghis Kahn looked and people were all pissed that he used a 100 year past the date source. I don't think he's ever fucked up the foundation of a subject and that's all he really is for history, a strong foundation.
>>
>>358209
I hope I never have you in one of my tutorials.
>>
>>357619
hating dan carlin is called not being a american that needs superlatives and badly researched podcasts to get interested in history.

Dan Carlin sucks, read a book.
>>
>>357680
I love these kinds of statements, because of the sad irony in criticising someone else's work for poor (insert here), yet never giving examples or solid "when dan carlin said x, he was wrong." Just "when Dan Carlin does what he does, he does (these things) wrong."

At the end of the day, he is a great storyteller, and as far as I can tell, the facts he utilizes (holy shit primary sources, and if it isn't then he says so) are correct.
>>
>>358249
>facts

Ha ha ha, oh wow, you're serious.
>>
>>358252
I hope I never have you in one of my tutorials.
>>
>>358263
Tell me about these "facts," how are they not interpretations. If they are interpretations then how are they worth calling "facts," they're just results of induction, not Truth. If they are facts, please tell us how you've overcome Hume, because many people will be very excited about your claims.
>>
Daily Reminder to report Dan Carlin threads for advertising

Seriously, we have these things fucking weekly
>>
>>358272
It is 3 times a day.
>>
>>357680
Bitter nonsense. Dan Carlin is doing more than any other content creator out there by getting average people interested and engaged in history.
>>
>>357620
>a gateway into actual history
I would not have known about, or bought, or read "Storm of Steel" without DCHH.

I also have books on Magellan and Shackleton that are mentioned, but I had them first.
>>
The vsauce of history.
>>
>>357684
I agree that Melvyn is more intellectual, but on a scale of 1 being unlistenably boring and 10 being exciting, he is a 2 and Dan is a 9.
>>
>>358248
Here we have it boys, our first dan carlin contrarian.

>read a book
>books are now utter and complete truth because they transfer information through written form

you're a semi intellectual retard buddy
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.