[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is philosophy sometimes regarded as "the search for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Why is philosophy sometimes regarded as "the search for wisdom"? I am personally fond of the many ideas of philosophy and I enjoy engaging in philosophical discussion but I do not want to be "wise", I do find value in being sophisticated and intelligent but that is not the same thing as "wisdom" to my knowledge even though they may be in the same vein. I am torn between embracing my natural interest and inclination on learning about philosophy and being someone who likes to go with their gut feelings and the flow of life without the care of making the "best" choices. I have this fear of being old and white with a beard and passing on the errors and experiences of my life rather than simply living a life short and sweet, "embracing the chaos" if that makes any sense. All thoughts are appreciated. Apologies for the long post.
>>
>>357427
you sound like a moron desu
>>
What are you talking about?
>>
>>357427

>I do find value in being sophisticated and intelligent

sophisticated =/= intelligent
>>
>>357469

>and
>>
>>357473

nice damage control, we all know what you implied

how about you go back to reddit?
>>
>>357485

Are you joking?
>>
>>357485
i do not use reddit
>>357468
could you specify where i lost you?
>>357459
can you tell me why?
>>
>>357427
(Hi, new to the board here, so forgive me if I sound a bit off from this board's cultural norms.)

OP, to be honest, it sounds to me like you don't know anything about philosophy.
First, I'd assume it's sometimes regarded as "the search for wisdom" due to it's nature of examination of ideas or concepts. Philosophy is a tool to sharpen reason. It does grant some intellect and sophistication, but to acknowledge such an arrogant ideal within yourself is to limit your ability in both. It sounds like you expect to come to the table as better than the person next to you. That kind of practice can make you out to be the stupidest person in the room.

If you're torn about studying philosophy or going with your gut, an easy compromise would be to read through existentialist ideals. Sartre probably says it best when he states that no rule of philosophy will help you in your everyday situations. Honestly, I've come to be under the impression from existentialism that everything's just gambling with the only guiding action being "I've got a good feeling about this!" Though I suppose if you really want to just go with the flow, taking up hedonistic ideals would work well enough.

Philosophy wont determine whether or not you live a short or long life. Sometimes good philosophers die young, sometimes adventurers die old. Don't expect to look back and despair on either route you choose. If your aim is just to not regret your choices in life, then your basis for judgement may lead you to a safer route which may leave you lusting for the route you left behind, and vice versa.

It's bad faith in yourself to ask others to make a life choice for you. Make a choice and accept the responsibility yourself. Maybe then you'll choose the right one.
>>
You sound really insecure.
'going with the flow' as opposed to being deliberate is a false dichotomy.
Just get some self-awareness.
>>
File: sloth-smile.gif (2 MB, 247x194) Image search: [Google]
sloth-smile.gif
2 MB, 247x194
>>357731
As someone who frequently lurks these threads, I'd appreciate you posting more.
>>
>>357427
You might like Montaigne
>>
>>357760
I'll keep that in mind, though I'm mostly in the habit of lurking myself.
>>
>>357731
thank you so much for this post, i am in extreme gratitude you have honestly helped me so much, i've never been crazy about most existentialist authors but i do try to take bits and pieces from all places and reflect from them as best as i can while weighing each view point, that being said the gambling thing is precisely the analogy i've followed mostly throughout my life, i guess the problem for me is that i have been told by others that i am "philosophical" and i never thought of this as a good or bad trait or that i am smarter than people to me it just meant that i go down the rabbit hole too often in conversations and in my own thoughts and i'd rather be a person that doesn't do that but it's almost habitual, i'm definitely going to be waxing what you said, you've helped keep me grounded, in a way i hope you're right about me not knowing anything about philosophy.
>>357748
yeah i would say i'm insecure, i have the issue of contradicting myself too much instead of doing it a healthy amount but this post is just one step closer to the self-awareness
>>357761
thank you for the recommendation! i have not delved into any of his works truly but from quickly glossing over some things i see a lot of him in myself and really appreciate what he did but at the same time i kind of find the whole "i'm going to knock the arrogance of philosophy" thing kind of ironic because in the process there's a given implication (unwillingly or not) that he is higher than the other philosophers for being able to recognize it or at least he is some kind of leveler of philosophy, kind of when somebody states that they are humble but internally they believe the humbleness of themselves is just one more way to stroke their internal ego, do you know what i mean? forgive me if this sounds like i'm insulting him or brushing him off but that's just my naive first impression, what do you think?
>>
>>357427
The only wise philosophy is the red pill.
>>
>>357892
>>>/pol/
don't come back :)
>>
>>357427
not really sure senpai desu
for me philosophy is just mental masturbation i indulge in because it makes me feel good
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.