[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /his/, my Uni Professor has gave us our final answer questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1435084639489.gif (1 MB, 390x317) Image search: [Google]
1435084639489.gif
1 MB, 390x317
Sup /his/, my Uni Professor has gave us our final answer questions and they're pretty shitty. "In what ways did India as a whole “prosper” under the British colonial system?"
From what I know, British economic assistance to India as well as building railroads and the like helped India as well as pushing for many to get western education. But isn't this just about all the Brits did for India? Wasn't the economic exploitation of Indians, mass killings of people during religious practices, and famine that the Britbongs caused in India far worse? How am I supposed to write 2 pages about the benefits of British rule in India when there was hardly anything beneficial about their occupation of India?
>>
there was the railroad
they united india which objectively speaking isn't good or bad but it stayed united so presumably that's something they're happy about.
introducing india to parliamentary republic type government, which they have also maintained.
they did introduce western style education, although some indians today are still unhappy about it because they were usually christian schools.
>>
>>357160
Do you think its fair argument to say that without British education Ghandi would have never becamet he huge figure he is today?
>>
>>357095
Kek, I just had to write 2500 word-essays on how modern definitions of the empire fit within the historical context of the Delian League and to debate whether the theory of evolution is proven or not. On top of that I've another 1500 word one on Boxer China and the causes leading to the fall of the Qing dynasty.
>>
>>357274
>1500 word paper on boxer china
That should be a lot of fun, Cixi was a crazy fucking bitch and allowed China to remain a shit country for years to come thanks to MUH TRADITION MUH CULTURAL SUPERIORITY. Yeah a lot of good that did with the British getting your entire country high on opium.
>>
>>357095
It's not too difficult a question to answer, on top of the things you Already listed the British helped modernize much of India while also helping organizations such as the INC rise (albeit not intentionally), also ghandi would have never became as big a figure as he was if it were not for his education he received during his time in England.
>>
>>357095

The key to analyzing a colonial situation this way is to paint a picture of how it was before. Hopefully if your prof is asking that question, he taught you all that stuff rather than focusing merely on what happened during the colonial period.
>>
>>357363
He did somewhat but its a pretty broad class overall with certain events or periods in asian history only getting a day or 2 of discussion. I know the beginning of the Mughal empire was great thanks to Baburs high religious tolerance . Akbar also seemed to be a genuinely great enlightened guy with many of his policies being hundreds of years ahead of their time. However the mughal like all great empires became corrupt and thats when the British East India company took control of the country. So like anon up their said they did Unify India, but shit was still fucked up thanks to the exploitation of the Indian people and everything along those lines.
>>
>>357095
You're missing a key concept in the question, the critique of the concept of "India as a whole".
>>
>>357095
>only transport and education

Come on brah.
>>
>>357095
Just write out Kipling's "The White Man's Burden" as prose for half of the essay. Should work.
>>
>>357160
>but it stayed united so presumably that's something they're happy about.

Who is "they"? being the question here.
>>
Sounds like you just have to plump up the benefits of cultural diffusion. 2 pages isn't very taxing for all the technological, cultural, economic, political, transportation, and communication 'advances' of a period of over a century.
>>
>>357378
Does transport include streets?
>>
>>357095
This is clearly a ruse.

According to my source (/pol/) all professors at all colleges are kekold marxist anti-colonialists.
>>
>>357095
>But isn't this just about all the Brits did for India?
I'd throw in having a hegemon during that era probably was handy for protecting against other powers. As bad as it was, getting seperately raped by the Germans, French, Russians, and Japanese would have been unfun.

>Wasn't the economic exploitation of Indians, mass killings of people during religious practices, and famine that the Britbongs caused in India far worse?
Oh yeah.

>How am I supposed to write 2 pages about the benefits of British rule in India when there was hardly anything beneficial about their occupation of India?
Learning how to build off of a difficult case is part of your university education.
>>
>>357375
>I know the beginning of the Mughal empire was great
About as great as Genghis Khan.

Babur made ISIS look like pussies.
>>
>>357095
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CW7S0zxv4
Not really helping your cause, but interesting nonetheless.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.