[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain what's wrong with positivism without resorting to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1445642402601.jpg (280 KB, 954x1638) Image search: [Google]
1445642402601.jpg
280 KB, 954x1638
Explain what's wrong with positivism without resorting to some ad hominem like "lol u have autism".

Protip: you literally can't
>>
>>356704
It's literally autism
>>
autismlol
>>
artism
>>
Read this
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 419x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 419x536
>>356704
"Only empirically verifiable statements have value" can't be empirically verified.
>>
Reminder autism is not an insult. Being autistic is something for which one should feel proud, not ashamed. It's a compliment because autism allows one to have radically different perspectives on things that can lead to important discoveries or great works of art which neurotypical people don't have the capability of producing.

video related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_klmfrj2jM
>>
Positivism is useless in matters of ethics, law, just day-to-day life actual people care about.

I agree that what can't be described by language is meaningless in the empirical process, BUT autists think that's a green light to dismiss love, art, beauty, literally anything that doesn't pertain to sterile abstractions and mind-numbing logic-chopping.

Like sorry bruh, if I can't describe a peak experience with formal logic that says more about the limitations of positivism than it does about the artificiality of emotion.
>>
>>356747
^This, largely.

>[Sociology is ] ... the science whose object is to interpret the meaning of social action and thereby give a causal explanation of the way in which the action proceeds and the effects which it produces. By 'action' in this definition is meant the human behaviour when and to the extent the agent or agents see it as subjectively meaningful ... the meaning to which we refer may be either (a) the meaning actually intended either by an individual agent on a particular historical occasion or by a number of agents on an approximate average in a given set of cases, or (b) the meaning attributed to the agent or agents, as types, in a pure type constructed in the abstract. In neither case is the 'meaning' thought of as somehow objectively 'correct' or 'true' by some metaphysical criterion. This is the difference between the empirical sciences of action, such as sociology and history, and any kind of a priori discipline, such as jurisprudence, logic, ethics, or aesthetics whose aim is to extract from their subject-matter 'correct' or 'valid' meaning.

—Max Weber, The Nature of Social Action 1922
>>
>>356747
Raymond Tallis is that you
>>
>>356729
I like how even the guy who invented positivism thinks it's bullshit
>>
>>356744
What if I called you a faggot instead?

Faggot
>>
The verifiability principle got btfo.
>>
>>356800
This
>>
>>356704
>Theorethical concepts
>Dispositional properties
>Induction problem
>Theory ladeness of observation
>Theory ladeness of language
>Duhem-quine Thesis

Positivism has been BTFO a long time ago. Why do uneducated faggots still argue about this? That's the problem with /his/ : People circe-jerking about stuff they don't know.
>>
>>356800
Kek btfo
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.