[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Aristotle.jpg (2 MB, 1700x2275) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle.jpg
2 MB, 1700x2275
Why did people blindly follow what Aristotle said until the enlightenment?
>>
They didn't really. Neo-Platonism was hot too.
>>
>>355396
>people blindly follow what Aristotle said

Why are you making this up.
>>
If you took the time to read some of the people that came after them, a lot of what they did was try to reconcile his beliefs with their own about the universe. Aquinas is a good place to start, as he tried to reconcile Aristotelian cosmology with Christian traditions.
>>
If you actually had read Aristotle, you would know why and wouldn't need to come here and shitpost.
>>
Stop talking out of your ass. There was Platonism, Stoicism, Cyreanism, Epicureanism, Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Scepticism, Gnosticism, Hermeticism, etcetera
>>
>>355580
I think he probably just means why did people blindly follow the ancient Greeks, or at least base everything off them, rather than looking and thinking forward like today.

The answer i think is because after Rome and Greek civilisation fell people looked back and saw a better empire to look up to.
>>
>>355596
It's also because it was essentially the first place that humans had started using their rational faculties for anything other than religious sycophancy.
>>
The enlightenment was shit.
>>
>>355596
They looked and built forward by using the foundations the ancients left behind. How else would we progress? By ignoring what has already been said and philosophising blank slate?
>>
>>355613
They didn't do that though, at least not philosophically. It wasn't until Europe felt like it had surpassed Rome that things really started to move forward.
>>
>>355618
It depends on what you mean by progress TbeeH
>>
Aristotle did kinda encyclopedia, so as medieval leader you have the bible as a moral guide, and Aristotle as the rest. Others philosopher were not interested in plant, atlest not in catalog them
>>
>>355396
Because his writings formed the basis of Scholasitic Dogma of the Catholic Church that effectively controlled higher education and discourse until the enlightenment.
>>
Aristotle/Thomisms final cause and essence vs existence is making a strong comeback in metaphysics. This who delisuism of self and detachment of cause from effect is on it's dealth bed. R.I.P. Descartes, Idealism, etc and anything that is material in the 1st sense only, and thus self refuting.
>>
>>355596
If you want to pick a Greek who was followed for hundreds of years and basically accepted as TRUTH until the modern age, the name you want to write down is Euclid.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.