[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/nationalist/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: gallen-kallela-1-iso.jpg (110 KB, 765x750) Image search: [Google]
gallen-kallela-1-iso.jpg
110 KB, 765x750
Sup, /his/. I see a lot of posting about nationalism here on /his/, mostly "why do nationalist x" "fucking nationalist y" and so on. Well, i'm an 21th century nationalist (though i won't usually say it out loud without having the time to explain what nationalism means to me) and those comments have always puzzled me.

So i want you to tell what nationalism is (for you) or perhaps even ask questions. Genuinely interested.

>inb4 /pol/
/pol/ isn't really nationalist
>>
>>355371
Who is the scapegoat in your system?
>>
>>355397

What do you mean? What for?
>>
>>355397
Not OP, but IndoEuropeans are the seed for the downfall of humanity tbqoh
>>
>>355403
All nationalist ideologies need an ennemy/scapegoat to cement the unity of their people
>>
>>355413

Enemy and scapegoat are very different things, and i have neither.

My country's 19th century nationalism started after Russia threatened our "constitution". This bears little relevance to my nationalism though.

You seem to have an interesting definition of nationalism could you put it into a short sentence.
>>
>>355438
>You seem to have an interesting definition of nationalism could you put it into a short sentence.

For me a nation is ultimately the alliance of a group of individual against an enemy or a potential enemy. Without an enemy or a scapegoat to replace it, a nation is nothing more than a n administrative unit.
>>
Nationalism, like most isms, are for utter chumps and weaklings.
>>
>>355371
Nationalism is the mindset of contributing to the national collective and the idea of protecting the mutual interests of your countrymen instead of pandering to foreigners.
>>
>>355462
Wow that is a really narrow definition
>>
>21th
>>
File: 1445543056215.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445543056215.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
It is my humble opinion that everyone no matter their race or country should look up at the flag of their nation, and take pride in it.
>>
File: romulus.jpg (9 KB, 169x299) Image search: [Google]
romulus.jpg
9 KB, 169x299
>>355731
In an ideal world, everyone would.

But I can't say that everyone everywhere ought to, especially in reality.
>>
>>355731
Flags are spooky though.
>>
>>355479
>identity does not exist
>>
>>355810
Meant to quote >>355462
>>
>>355731
It is my humble opinion that everyone no matter their race or country should look up at the flag of their nation, and realise that it symbolises everything that keeps humanity from reaching greatness, that nations are a crutch that helped us come this far but they are now growing ever more obsolete and that clinging to them will only cause further division in a world that needs unity
>>
File: Fernando.jpg (323 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Fernando.jpg
323 KB, 1000x1000
>>355793
Yeah, that's true, a lot of countries could be better off fixing their problems first, but..

A nationalistic and patriotic populace would ideally fix their country, but that's a pipe dream.

>>355865
You're free to think so, but.. A sense of pride in your surroundings is important for the happyness of a man. Something something degeneracy something
>>
>>355885
i do take pride in my surroundings
but my surroundings arent nations or states its people
its people who make the nations great, its the people who founded the nations, its the people who built and made the technology and infrastructure that keeps the nations functioning
why attribute the collective efforts of humanity to flags when we could have done the same without the divisions and disputes caused by imaginary borders
something something back to pol something
>>
Well, I consider myself a fennoswedish patriot because I feel an inherent (and admittedly ungrounded) pride from my culture, people, and nation. I take great measures, however, to distinguish myself from other people who would use the label patriot, because I don't think that my culture, people or nation is inherently superior just because I love it so dearly. I also, for example, would not support my nation if it did something stupid or unjust , because that would contribute to making my nation a worse nation, and I see it as my duty as a countryman to do what I kind to make sure my country is good and prosperous.

So whatcha think about that OP?
>>
>>
File: För Sverige I Tiden.jpg (179 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
För Sverige I Tiden.jpg
179 KB, 600x476
>>355955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyOIrxdDNQ

Not OP, but it seems p. good.
I'm behind the nation even if it fucks up though. Not through extreme ordeals and clashes of ideology, but I still feel like the country that did as much to raise me as my parents did deserves loyalty and respect, just like to my parents. Whether said parents or said country is shitty.. As long as they tried their best, hah.

>>355942
People of the nation..? People who consider themselves as part of the country, no?
>>
>>356018
No, but say for example my nation was to suddenly invade another nation without cause.

I would not take part in the invasion, because it is unjust and taints my country with a stain of dishonor.

That's not to say though, if my country or its goverment is shite I'm still going to, for example, defend our borders in a just war. (like the winter war.)

Basically what I'm saying is I wouldn't want to push my country towards being any more of a bad country by mindlessly supporting it's goverment if it makes decisions I disagree with.
>>
File: Lots_of_crosses.jpg (61 KB, 578x375) Image search: [Google]
Lots_of_crosses.jpg
61 KB, 578x375
>>356056
Without a proper casus belli? Yeah, I wouldn't be very keen on attacking another nation either.

But I'd rather see us win a conflict without due cause to enter it, than lose it and have the nation weakened due to their dumbass decision to declare war. Even though the latter option is the more popular one in literature and ethics and whatever.
>>
Left wing nationalist here

I hate when people assume I'm a nazi
>>
>>356084
That's a good argument, my friend.
So what's your history with this country of ours? I like to learn about my countrymen.

I am a descendant of swedish farmers and fishermen on my mothers side, and karelian farmers on my fathers, wbu?
>>
>>355371
Which paradigm do you follow?
>>
File: Swedish_Provinces.png (2 MB, 2000x4552) Image search: [Google]
Swedish_Provinces.png
2 MB, 2000x4552
>>356110
Sweden (as if that wasn't obvious yet), but more specifically Skåne. I really don't know jack about Finland, since, well.. Skåne, the foreskin poking out of the Fennoswedish dick.
I'm not actually completely Swedish, my mum came to Sweden in the eighties, as a dead-end labourer from England due to some family dispute or whatever. She worked as a waitress when she met my dad, the swedish part of my family.

My ancestry is really boring, no-one has ever done anything of note in my family history. Paternal grandparents consisted of one orphan and a shopkeeper, and maternal grandparents were just 100% worker class.

I'm considering moving far north some time in the distant future. But I can't decide if I like the cold more than the rolling yellow acres. Also I'll probably get bullied for my thick, slurring accent.
>>
>>356148
/östrarikshalvan/
Sverige var mysigt
Får vi bli Sverige igen?
>>
>>356158
Om jag fick bestämma? Självklart. Även om många Finnar ogillar Sverige.. Alla de jag har pratar med är sura över att ni lär er svenska.

I must unite the scandinavian people under one flag
>>
Pride in a nation and the ancestry of the nation, pride in the accomplishments and strengths of the nation. An intense Fervor of emotions for things related to the country. Typically your country or a country that most of your ancestry is from.
That's how I personally view nationalism. I wouldn't call myself one.
>>
>>356018
people in general
people would still have built cities and invented shit even if the idea of a nation never took place
the main cause of conflicts are border disputes
and the want to establish control over resources
resources that would have been profitable even if they where shared between the people who could utilize them
>>
>>355371
What is your nation
>>
File: Heraclitus.jpg (43 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
Heraclitus.jpg
43 KB, 850x400
>>356217
To be perfectly fair, conflict forces innovation
>>
>ctrl-f Benedict Anderson
>0 results

I am disappoint /his/
>>
>>356089
Yeah no, you see the IRA and most Irish republican movements are scum.
t. paddy
>>
>>356253
exactly it forces innovation
innovation dosent have to be forced tho

but as i said in a previous post, nations and conflict have helped us come this far but clinging to nations and imaginary borders will only cause further division in a world thats not only technologically capable of becoming unified but actually craves for it
>>
>>356282
A unified world would lead to the same thing that'd happen if a nation opened its' borders.

Economic collapse when millions of impoverished seek shelter where there's a better life to be had.
>>
>>356275
I am Irish m80, I bet you and 90% of people you know are nationalist and republican too.

You don't have to support the ra to be either of those things. I know they're scum, but pretty much everyone in Ireland is a nationalist and republican.
>>
>>356304
bar northern unionists ofc
>>
Why did America choose the same colors for it's flag when England's flag has the same colors???
>>
>>355371
Nation's a drug bro. We are all bastards
>>
Was Woodrow Wilson really a racist???
>>
File: Secretary_Bird_head.jpg (2 MB, 3535x2516) Image search: [Google]
Secretary_Bird_head.jpg
2 MB, 3535x2516
>>
>>356300
no because then the entire world would share one economy one GDP that isent divided inequally between nations, then it is alot easier to focus it where its needed
to create jobs and infrastructure in places where it wasent possible before because that nations GDP dident allow it to expand in the ways it needed to become wealthy

with clever spending in a globally unified economy you could literally eradicate the lower class by turning them into middle class removing the need for people to become displaced or to become economic refugees

ofc you wouldent start with opening the borders to everyone
you would start with making it so that people would have no need to move because of economic reasons but instead because they wanted to live there instead
>>
>>356370
And what's the motivation to spend resources on developing countries
>>
>>356390
making the world a better place and eliminating many of the problems that have plauged our race for countless generations aint motivation enough for you?
>>
>>356575
Nah. I wouldn't sacrifice my arm to let a stranger live, and I don't expect that others do so for me. Same goes for nations.
>>
>>356597
you wouldent be sacrficing anything tho
there is more then enough money and resources to go around
there just isent a system that distributes them equally
>>
>>355462
You are trivializing an ideology because you dont agree with it, nationalism is a celebration of ones own culture and a respect for others
>>
>>355865
Interesting, then, that amost all the greatest inventions of the modern era came from nation-states like America, England, & Germany, rather than from enlightened leftist countries like the Soviet Union.
>>
>>356370

Citations and logical analysis are needed for your insane ideology.
>>
>>355371
Hi op. Would you like to See a world where everybody takes pride in their nation without declaring other nations inferior or do you think that nationalism in the 21th century works the same AS it did in the 19th or early 20th century?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.