[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Austria-Hungary given so much shit? You try controlling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12
File: A-H.png (9 KB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
A-H.png
9 KB, 250x167
Why is Austria-Hungary given so much shit?

You try controlling a country of germans, hungarians, czechs, italians, vlachs, slovenes, romanians, croatians, bosnians, serbs, slovaks, and poles for over a century in the age of Nationalism.
>>
>>353003
A-H was pretty Cool. Dumping My Imperial Austria folder
>>
File: imperialarmsofaustria.gif (268 KB, 1000x630) Image search: [Google]
imperialarmsofaustria.gif
268 KB, 1000x630
>>353027
>>
File: Austrian Empire.jpg (620 KB, 2558x1138) Image search: [Google]
Austrian Empire.jpg
620 KB, 2558x1138
>>353029
>>
File: alekandstormwalker.jpg (102 KB, 475x775) Image search: [Google]
alekandstormwalker.jpg
102 KB, 475x775
>>353031
>>
File: 3g13220u-1517.jpg (119 KB, 600x801) Image search: [Google]
3g13220u-1517.jpg
119 KB, 600x801
>>353034
>>
>>353036
Gott Erhalte Franz Den Kaiser
>>
File: 3g12190u-1325.jpg (151 KB, 600x905) Image search: [Google]
3g12190u-1325.jpg
151 KB, 600x905
>>353037
>>
>>353029
that left crest though..........it's almost a map unto itself
>>
>>353003
Seriously ass-hurt slave that are thankful that they are doomed to irrelevancy.
>>
>>353114
they weren't irrelevant to the 1000000 nationalities that lived there....
>>
>>353128
But on the world scale they are.
>>
>>353003
Shit at least they tried, unlike Russia
>>
>>353003
Austria-Hungary is in the same situation as Poland-Lithuania.
Hungary is some kind of vassal, only hungarians will give biased informations about "we were kingz of Europe n shieeeeet" - same for Lithuania. Austria, respectively Poland has done all their jobs.
Greater Hungary has never existed as hungarians describe it.
Habsburgs don't have any reference with hungarians. Austrians did everything, thus they are to be respected for that empire. Unfortunately, hungarians thrive on their work.
>>
Nationalism was the identity politics of the XIXth century, so they had to hate Austria-Hungary like SJWs hate conservative white people.
>>
>>353430
nice meme
>>
>>353430
>romanian
Why am I not surprised.
habsburgs did a lot to retake the country ffrom the Turks, and before the turks the Hungarian Kingdom existed as Greater Hungary. Truth is however, in the end habsburgs were so weak that they needed Russian help to put down the revolution of 1848, afterwards they got shat on so hard by everyone from France and Piemont to Prussia that they needed to make peace with Hungarians just to be able to keep their empire.
Retrospectively, the Monarchy wasn't that awful. Eu nowadays is similar to the Monarchy, only on steroids.
>>
It is sort of ironic that the ottomans russians and austrians got all in the same situation at the end of WW1
>>
File: Austria-Hungaria_transparency.png (220 KB, 1000x630) Image search: [Google]
Austria-Hungaria_transparency.png
220 KB, 1000x630
>>353430
three words to btfo you:
Kaiserlich und Königlich
>>
It seems to be a misfit grudge of its minorities of old.

Austria-Hungary was the final evolution of the medieval eras dynastic empires which were not based on ethnic union. In many ways they did a remarkable job to hold their empire together and it only collapsed when it was totally exhausted - until WW1 there were no serious secessionists movement within it, most minorities wanted autonomy at most. This is simply the realization that the empire provided political stability and economic prosperity.

You also have to understand it was always an union of Habsburg dynasty and Hungarian nobles, never of nations. The czech lost their privileges in the thirty years war and got downgraded to crownland, Hungary through numerous rebellions and simply due to its sheer weight could preserve its legal traditions and instituions, as Hungarian nobles had an important trump card, their economic power based on agriculture.
>>
>>353536
Its not ironic, they were all in many ways the same, medieval artefacts, empires not based on a single nation but the ruling dynasty.
>>
>>353577
>The czech lost their privileges in the thirty years war and got downgraded to crownland
but they have always been a crown land? the cislethanian crown landes were administrative divisions
>>
>>353577
Good post. I enjoy the possibility of federalization in an alternate history where Ferdinand survived.

In reality, such a project would be shot down by the Hungarian nobility as their relative strength to the other ethnic groups in the empire would diminish greatly if a Danube Federation were to happen. Who knows, though.
>>
I don't know /his/ is so fascinated by it

Maybe they think it's got a cool name

It was quite shitty though
>>
>>353430
Austrians may have been the emperors, but Hungarians were the largest ethnic group in the empire. To imply that they did nothing at all is ridiculous.
>>
>>353817
>Hungarians were the largest ethnic group in the empire
Germans were
>>
>>353430
well memed my Romanian friend
>>
They are branches that bend
the sold swords; (ref. 6)
Already the eagle of Austria
has lost its feathers.
the blood of Italy
and the Polish blood (ref. 7)
Drank with Cossacks
But its heart was burnt.
A-H btfo
>>
>>353430
this, Austrian Empire was ruined by Hungarians.
>>
People tend to forget that A-H started being only somewhat oppressive only in its later stages.

The centuries preceeding maria theresia saw gems such as violent germanisation, burning of non-german grammar books, prohibition of non-german languages, exclusivity of german in education and so on.

This caused huge resentment against the germans and that resentment in part forged the national characters of the minorities
>>
>>354904
>The centuries preceeding maria theresia saw gems such as violent germanisation, burning of non-german grammar books, prohibition of non-german languages, exclusivity of german in education and so on.
If only they succeded we wouldn't suck balls as much as we do now
>>
shoud've been Austria-Czechia-Slovakia-Croatia-Slovenea-Südtirolia-Serbia-Transylvania-Hungary Empire.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Greater_Austria

Could it have worked /his/?
>>
>>355173
Not with a name like "Greater Austria", that alone would cause ethnic tensions. Something like the "United States of Central Europe" would be better.
>>
File: 1446916347336.jpg (55 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1446916347336.jpg
55 KB, 560x407
I always thought that this board would be flooded with Prussiaboos if it was made, turns out the exact opposite happened.
>>
>>355195
"Austria" at that time referred mostly to the empire (or at least Cisleithania) as a whole, it was not really tied to the German lands as it is today. That's why when the empire was partitioned the German rump state was called the Republic of German-Austria, because it referred to the part of Austria that was specifically German.
>>
>>355217
But it is. There's just also a lot of A-Hboos.

I think it's because we got a good number of central europeans.
>>
>>353430
Hungary was at least equal partner in the Empire you Romanian pleb.

>>354441
That we agree on. See: this thread. No wonder no one likes you when you shit on everyone else because of your misplaced sense of superiority.
>>
>>355249
That explains the balkan-tier ethnic shitposting that occurs every thread. Austrians don't go on 4chan much so we never hear the German side of things.
>>
>>355065>>355065
>slavic stormfront
My favourite.... It was the gommies my friend, not our inherent undermanness :^)
>>
Why is it that Hunnic, the language of the Hunnic Empire (Attila and his steppeniggas), is unknown in its origin, but modern Hungarian is apparently a different language entirely and is URALLIC of all things?
Id figure firstly that Hungarian would be Hunnic in origin, but instead of that its something else, and that something else STILL makes no sense.
>>
>>355976
wtf
magyars were once a uralic tribe that were invited by the byzantines to fk up the bulgarians, then settled on the danube after Otto I stopped them--it's not that hard folks
>>
File: coronation.jpg (118 KB, 894x577) Image search: [Google]
coronation.jpg
118 KB, 894x577
Nech žije Cisár
>>
>>355976
Why should they be similar in any way? The word Hungary isn't derived from "Hun" by the way, but from "Ungroi"
>>
>>354904
This, its funny that the heavy Germanization kickstarted Hungarian nationalism, enlightement and language reform movement, at a time when many people thought Hungarians numbering only 2 million at time will dissappear in the sea of Slavs and Germans.
>>
>>356191
Už dávno skapal
>>
File: AVON.jpg (43 KB, 1190x686) Image search: [Google]
AVON.jpg
43 KB, 1190x686
>>356286
>>
>>356198
>>356178
thanks lads, i found this myself after wiki surfing the shit out of it. I was essentially confused because Magyars were all bows and horse like Huns, and Hungary sounds like Hun. I misled myself.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.