[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were gladiator fights scripted?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: capture414.jpg (137 KB, 623x595) Image search: [Google]
capture414.jpg
137 KB, 623x595
Were gladiator fights scripted?
>>
>>351685
sometimes

yes
>>
File: 338964.jpg (332 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
338964.jpg
332 KB, 1920x1080
>My history’s a little hazy Cassius, but aren’t the Barbarians supposed to lose the battle of Carthage?
>>
>>351685
They were real, like wrestling—not staged, like American Football.
>>
>>351685
The Romans believed in fate, so yes.
>>
Did gladiators break kayfabe?
>>
>>351936
Given that it would reduce their honour, no.
>>
>>351705
This.

Sometimes they had big matches where great gladiators fought like modern combat sports.

Other times they would have huge spectacles that recreated battles in which they had designated winners and losers, the losers generally being shit tier while the winners were top tier gladiators.
>>
Why do gladiator fights feature so heavily in popular history? They were only a small part of Roman life and personally I've always found it a boring subject.
>>
>>351685
IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT
>>
Did they throw peasants in?

Did they throw criminals in?

Did they throw slaves in?
>>
No but they stacked the fuck out of fights
>>
>>352024
circuses will always be relevant
>>
>>351936

I wonder if they had evil foreigner gimmicks.

You could have a fake Gaul get heel heat by threatening to Gaul Roman women.
>>
>>351685
and his name is JANUS CENUS
>>
>>352645
>evil foreigner gimmicks
One of the gladiator classes was literally called Thracian
>>
File: 79719[2].png (623 KB, 1000x680) Image search: [Google]
79719[2].png
623 KB, 1000x680
>>351685
>Were gladiator fights scripted?

If they werent, they should have been. Its much more effective that way. Better spectacle and lower chance of losing a praised star.
Reminds me of the first american tv game shows, where they started out playing for real, but they had low views. Then they started scripting it, and the ratings skyrocketed.
>>
>>352941
Janvs cenvs*
>>
>>351685
>Were gladiator fights scripted?

Sometimes. Not all gladiator fights were "serious" (i.e. to the death) and sometimes fights were held to commemorate past battles. And you wouldn't want the non-Roman team to accidentally win, would you?
>>
>>353875
Thats easily solved by tying their hands behind their back and tying some sword painted stick on their torso pointing forwards.
>>
>>353880
Doesn't seem particularly interesting to watch.
>>
>>353882
You wont be able to tell from where you are seating.
>>
>>352024
Still entertaining the plebs hundreds of years later.
>>
>>352024
Combat sport is a primal delight for us as a species. All cultures have some variation of it.

Even though Roman gladatorial fights were only in an rather brief period of their history, it's difficult to say they weren't fucking fantastic. I think the showmanship gets people as well as the sheer scale of the Colosseum.
>>
>>351685
Any sport people place bets on, can be rigged.
There was probably some form of organized crime controlling the arenas.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.