[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we stop anti-intellectualism within the humanities?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
How do we stop anti-intellectualism within the humanities?
>>
I vote for nuclear weapons, personally.
>>
We need more Really I hate pretentious snob boards
>>
>>349000
>fat studies
From sea to shiniiinngg seeeeaaaaa.

I doubt this will catch on anywhere outside the US though.
>>
>>349000
Burn it. All of it. Everything. Humanity has failed.

BURN. IT.
>>
>>349024
>lets all make a conscious effort to be stupid
>>
File: JuvSpDk.png (242 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
JuvSpDk.png
242 KB, 500x421
It's actually pretty interesting historical experiment. It was often claimed that great states fall because of softness, effeminacy, self-indulgency, see for example Gibbon's explanation of Fall of the Roman Empire. Such opinions are often dismissed, and more factual reasons for decline are named. Now we ourselves are able to witness such development in all it's glory, and we can test these theories by observation.
>>
>>349000

It really is not that big of a problem outside of the United States. If you universities Humanities department is filled with anti-intellectuals it's a shitty university. Simple as that.

I study at a decent university in Germany, our Humanities department is extremely small and receives almost zero funds compared to the STEM ones, yet most of the students get their shit together.

I suppose competition is always a good thing in that sense. Personally I don't give a fuck what people do outside of lectures, but if someone is being a faggot/ is being disrupting I'll tell them to shut the fuck up, no prof has ever scolded me for that.

People complaining about the Humanities are, from my personal experience, whiny crybabies that don't have anything better to do with their lives. Embarrassing shit if you ask me.
>>
>>349000
>anti-intellectualism
>implying it isn't because the majority of humanity has shit for brains in general
>>
File: 1442971779097.png (385 KB, 599x442) Image search: [Google]
1442971779097.png
385 KB, 599x442
>>349111
That is actually a really interesting way to look at it. Suddenly all of my hate for these people has been replaced with curiosity.
>>
File: radish.png (45 KB, 947x442) Image search: [Google]
radish.png
45 KB, 947x442
>>349120
>It really is not that big of a problem outside of the United States
Its pernicious influence is certainly growing in the UK.

>If you [sic] universities [sic] Humanities department is filled with anti-intellectuals it's a shitty university.
The most prestigious universities in the world have humanities departments filled with anti-intellectual radical progressives. Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Oxford, Cambridge etc.

>Personally I don't give a fuck what people do outside of lectures
You might not be interested in the culture war, but the culture war is interested in you.

>>349120
>People complaining about the Humanities are, from my personal experience, whiny crybabies that don't have anything better to do with their lives
A democratic state is guided by public opinion. Whence public opinion? From teachers, journalists, and the intellectuals. Whence the opinions of teachers, the journalists, and the intellectuals? The graduates of those prestigious universities mentioned above, who make their way into the highest positions in society, such as academia, the government, the media etc.

This is not a recent trend. This is not a harmless trend. We see the same folks in the 60s with the same hostile views, organizing the same protests, who go on to occupy the same positions in society.

I doubt I'll convince you with a 2000-character limit, so just have a read of this article, especially the "academic freedom" section:
https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/free-speech/
>>
>the growing field of fat studies
heh
>>
>>349273

fuck off, man

>muh traditionalism
>>
>>349000
>fat studies
>field is growing
yeah i bet it is
>>
File: 1331022421001.jpg (22 KB, 669x380) Image search: [Google]
1331022421001.jpg
22 KB, 669x380
>fat studies
>a sub-discipline of American studies

No way
>>
>>349640
no u
>>
>>349640
great argument lmao
>>
My impression is that the "Victim Studies" Departments exist and do bad quality research mostly because no one wants to challenge them for fear of being labelled "something-ist". If you criticize any of the research in any of those departments on any grounds, be ready for being called sexist, racist or something worse.

A few quotes:

>FS challenges the long-standing denigration of fat in the U.S. and other cultures (e.g., Tomrley & Naylor, 2009) as well as contemporary medical models that pathologize fat and prescribe weight-loss as a means of attaining health.

Let us suppose that someone working in Fat Studies came up with data showing that being very fat can worsen your health. Would they publish it? Does anyone think this will be an intellectually honest field? They don't treat this as an empirical question, they treat it as a position they want to advance.

or

>All courses emphasized cultural contexts and fatness as a social construction
>>
>>349111
>muh vague term neatly explains the downfall of a civilization
>>
File: 1446301633405.jpg (130 KB, 766x864) Image search: [Google]
1446301633405.jpg
130 KB, 766x864
>>349111
simply epik
>>
>>349925

>My impression is that the "Victim Studies" Departments exist and do bad quality research mostly because no one wants to challenge them for fear of being labelled "something-sit".

This, it comes down to job security in the end probably
>>
Another example:

Take a look at this crap.

http://www.eji.org/node/1141

Why no one mentioned the obvious? Because they are scared of being labelled racist for saying a crap study is crap.
>>
>>350020
Play stupid games, win stupid prises.
Jews have disproportionate acceptance and graduation, yet no-one recognises that.
>>
>>349640
Top quality post.

Back to your echo chamber.
>>
>>349848
I'm giggling like a little kid
>>
>>349273
>Dat pic
Auugh! Why does this prose style infuriate me so? The glib assumption that the writer is correct! All the begged questions!
>>
File: 1446356844855.jpg (35 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
1446356844855.jpg
35 KB, 426x426
>>349000
>muh celebration of failure and mediocrity
>>
>>349000
>American education
>>
>>349000
stop funding it with tax money.

if they finance for that shit themselves I don't care.
>>
>>349000

I have a feeling these kind of critical theory wackjobs are an anglo thing. Granted it's just my university experience in Finland, but even though I'm a social science student I haven't encountered a stereotypical tumblrite so far. Sure, the faculty members seem to lean more towards left than right, but it tends to present itself by someone saying "the Gini index is too high at the moment" rather than someone proposing that some form of fringe activism should be given the status of science.
>>
>>349000

There goes any academic integrity my degree had left.

>tfw you aren't bullshitting
>>
Look, if you major in history you want to be a historian, in engineering you want to be an engineer, etc. But what the fuck do you want to be majoring in Fat Studies? Professional lardass?
>>
>>350755
"I want to fight for social justice instead of selling out into the patriarch oval capitalist system!" Literally professional social justice warriors. But as can be seen by the fact they seriously buy into this crap, they are obviously not sane people and have no concept of having to provide for themselves or needing to ever get a real job. So a small part ends up in academia perputiating this madness, the rest flip burgers forevermore.
>>
>>350730
The social justice movement is indeed by and for upper middle class white academia. It's just a convenient way for white liberals to wash their guilt away, so it is an anglo thing.
>>
>>350769
Posting from phone so it autocorrected the "patriarch oval" thing, sounds kinda cool I guess. Anyways that's what I think happens to them.
>>
>>350755

How is this different from gender studies?
>>
My feelings are the most important thing in the world, critical theory told me so :^)
>>
File: 1433643592828.png (30 KB, 231x220) Image search: [Google]
1433643592828.png
30 KB, 231x220
>>349000
To answer your question in a serious way: you get rid of the humanities in universities. You create "Humanities Centers" where people talk about that stupid shit, but you remove it from what is supposed to be a place for intellectualism: university.

You also stop funding these programs publicly, meaning that only engineering, business, science, medicine, law, etc. programs exist in university.

But how do you do this, you ask. You have the leaders from the 'real' fields of study condemn all the bullshit that comes from the humanities. Aside from this, there is not much you can do, as the problem will only get worse.

The dean of Missouri's university did something that will end up having ramifications for the rest of academia for quite some time, as he failed to stand up to the anti-intellectual mobs that called for his demise.
>>
>>350829

The easiest way to get rid of critical theory shitters would be a decent requirement for statistical analysis in every sociology program.
>>
>>350829
BASED Nippon leading the charge

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/social-sciences-and-humanities-faculties-close-japan-after-ministerial-intervention
>>
>>349848
It is like poetry.
>>
>>349273
>>349000
I pretty much agree with all you've posted, something should be done but I don't think its getting rid of humanities like one anon said. Just don't support it, vote with your wallet, ideas and actions. Call them out. Put your energy into time and places better spent. The Libtard/SJW crowd and their like ilk are pretty much responsible. Whatever doesn't fit their narrative gets thrown out, especially if it's the truth. Remember, these are people who said the Vikings didn't come to north America. even when a runestone in newfoundland or smething was staring them in the face, they'd just such their eyes and cover their ears and scream scream "la la la la la cant hear you." or just say it was impossible.Whatever you call them they're all the same. People who can't accept that they're wrong don't want to better themselves and shout down any opposition. And they now have the power and prestige to do just that.

>The most prestigious universities in the world have humanities departments filled with anti-intellectual radical progressives. Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Oxford, Cambridge etc.

I specifically want to touch on this.
Then those universities are or have become shit. They're is especially no excuse for 'prestigious' institutions such as those to be so ignorant. Also if you haven't seen, Those same SJW/crowd have been rasing hell at places such as these because of "safe spaces" and "racism" and other such nonsense.
>>
>>350413
>>350020
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2015/06/01/college-counselors-advise-some-asian-students-appear-less-asian/Ew7g4JiQMiqYNQlIwqEIuO/story.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/high-school-students-told-to-appear-less-asian-on-college-applications-2015-6
>>
>>350956
Judging this, this was mostly done out of financial need.

You know which major I actually see as even shittier than humanities? Fucking Communication Science.
>>
>>351093
I think employers are starting to catch on. Academia itself is a bloated shithole, we've got the most useless departments crying and screaming for more funding while producing nothing but another generation of career academic parasites. They use social media to overstate their importancen keeping students coming in to ensure their job stability.

But students these days are coddled babbys who simply aren't prepared for the work place.

Private courses for tech are becoming a very popular and successful alternative, with just 3/6 month programs boasting 100k average salary for graduates.
>>
>>349741
Fucking KEK, holy shit.
>>
>>351587
>with just 3/6 month programs boasting 100k average salary for graduates
t. Advanced Technical Institute shareholder
>>
idk how engaging with fatness is supposed to be anti-intellectual. it's not the first word that comes to mind when i hear the word 'engage' because engagement involves actively thinking about something
>>
>>349041
Most Anglo countries' higher education suffers from this to some extent, my best guess is because of constant cultural exchange and (very niche) student demand. Either way, courses similar to this exist in the UK and New Zealand for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if you dug one up here in Australia.
>>
>>351587
>Private courses for tech are becoming a very popular and successful alternative, with just 3/6 month programs boasting 100k average salary for graduates.
Is this true? Link?

Forget 100k, but decent program for real job?
>>
Remember folks, Anglo universities are the best in the world!
>>
>>350784
You don't become a gender, you become a fatass.
>>
Anti-intellectualism does exist, but this isn't an example of it.
It truly is seen in the culture of distrust surrounding science and its discoveries.
For instance, global warming denial.
>>
I am a humanities major and the only time I even remotely hear of anything like the OP, it's on 4chan.

I've yet to see anything retarded like that in my uni.
>>
my BA in Fat Studies from Kardashian University is bound to get me a lucrative career on tumblr
>>
>>350829
>>351204
No, fuck you. Bet you are a positivist faggot, cutting fundamental area of thoughts because some SJW are trying to fuck it, it's actually a good justification for you retards so you can have your "progress" or whatever.
>>
File: americlap.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
americlap.gif
29 KB, 482x800
>>354792

Not a humanities major but I go to one of the most liberal schools in one of the most liberal cities in the country and I've also never seen anything like this actually taking place. I don't understand how people on the internet are so good at digging up examples of it.

At any rate, this isn't really an example of anti-intellectualism if they're just exploring the issue. Considering the other circles in which anti-intellectualism makes itself known, this is pretty minor on every level.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.