[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the US actually been a "bro" with the other Anglo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (77 KB, 1362x644) Image search: [Google]
image.png
77 KB, 1362x644
Has the US actually been a "bro" with the other Anglo countries in the past or is it just an illusion and their special relationship is merely for personal gains? Documentary's about the US UK relations around 1940 seem to make me think the later.

Which leads me to my final question. Do countries ever act and help out each other for broship or is it always part of some master narcissistic strategy?
>>
>>348962
There's no such thing as friends in diplomacy. It's all about mutual benefit.
>>
>>348962

>it just an illusion and their special relationship is merely for personal gains?

Welcome to politics.

Individuals can be friends or enemies.

Nations can only be business partners or enemies.
>>
>>348969
>>348972

B-but my global WASP family ;_;
>>
>>348977

Americans arent even anglo. Its mostly german-irish anyway

also, US and Canada have the friendliest border in history
>>
Concepts cannot have friendships.
>>
I think there is some broship between the US and UK. For instance, the relationship started to warm between the two countries in the late 1800s. In the UK, people loved to read penny novels about the wild west and this endeared them to American culture in some way. I heard on a Dan Carlin podcast that right before the Spanish American War, British sailors stationed in Hong Kong cheered on the American sailors as they left to fight in the Philippines.

Also look at the American tabloid fascination with the royal family. While this disgusts most people on this website, this is definitely evidence of a "broship." There's no political reason for commoners in America to care about the royal family. You certainly don't see us going wild over the prince of Monaco, or any other countless European nations who still have monarchies.
>>
>>349048
We may not be of entirely Anglo stock our culture is most definitely Anglo in origin
>>
>>349048
>Its mostly german-irish anyway
Red states aren't.
>>
File: Josiah_Tattnall,_pre-Civil_War.png (544 KB, 590x679) Image search: [Google]
Josiah_Tattnall,_pre-Civil_War.png
544 KB, 590x679
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Tattnall#Interwar_Years.2C_1848-1860

>During his two years in the Far East, Commodore Tattnall violated American neutrality while commanding the chartered steamer Toey-Wan, when he came to the assistance of a British and French squadron under fire from the Taku Forts at the mouth of the Pei Ho or Hai River. His explanation of his action, "Blood is thicker than water", subsequently became a famous slogan
>>
>>348962
>no South Africa
Is it because too many natives hopped the border?
>>
USA and NZ used to be super bro, but then we decided we didn't want your nuclear submarines in port anymore.

Now the USA and NZ are "friends, but not allies".
>>
>>350982
Being allies is overrated. You don't have allies unless you have enemies or expect to make enemies.
>>
>>351075
This was during the cold war, so it was pretty significant that we were taken out of the American Nuclear umbrella.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
You assume that kinship and self-interest are mutually exclusive. The shared ideals, culture, and language means that strategic interests are almost always inextricably intertwined.

Disputes generally arise from a quirk of geography rather than conflicting ideals. Even if they shared the same government there would still be conflict.
>>
>>350932
What is a red state? Because that term really on applies to the Deep South these days.
>>
>>350932
>Kansas
>Nebraska
>Wyoming
>Not red states
>>
>>350959
SA is the fallen brother. Rhodesia too but they kinda are a literal who
>>
>>348962
Countries sometimes help other countries for purely idealistic reasons.

But those are the countries that lose, the winners don't have friends, they have assets.
>>
>>350959
>>350959
2bh South Africa was never Anglo, it was Dutch.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.