[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essentials thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
What are the essential History/Political/Philosophy books to own?

I finished pic related the other day and found it incredible.
>>
>>348556
completely depends on your opinion in any of those subjects.
You're view of essential history reading will be informed by your political views.

And if you are remotely well thought, you're political views will be informed by your philosophical views.
>>
You're joking...
>>
That book was fun and interesting, but his arguments are undermined by his explicit and acknowledged choice to use Great Man theory.
>>
>>348584
I'm asking what are the best, most objectively written books within the confines of those topics.
>>
I hope you read the complete works of Plato and Aristotle before reading that
>>
>>348556
there are no essential books to own, of any kind
>>
I think the fall of the Roman Republic is one of the most important time periods in history, and I believe everyone should be versed in it. A good starting point is pic related. It was well-written and an easy read.
>>
>>348723

This. No one needs books at all now we have Wikipedia.
>>
>>348778
Wikipedia doesn't interpret facts or provide the context/expertise necessary to do so. Having facts available to us is not the same thing as having effective processing of the facts available. Books and the study of history are still 'essential' to gain processing skills.
>>
>>348778
Wikipedia is faulty and easily edited by biased individuals
Academic research and wiki are not the same
>>
>>348778
That's not what I meant, you pleb.
>>
>>348826
>>348833
>>348880

I'm sorry.

I cannot take any of these posts seriously without a valid Wikipedia citation to back your points.
>>
/his/ Select Essentials:
Herodotus' Histories
Thucydide's Pellopenesian War
Livy's History of Rome
Polybius' Histories
Asser's Life of Alfred the Great
>>
>>348556
Wouldn't be easier to define these "essential books" by category, such as period, place, or person?
>>
>>348900
Oh my b. Here's a good source

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia
>>
File: Marco-Polo-Travels.jpg (41 KB, 353x550) Image search: [Google]
Marco-Polo-Travels.jpg
41 KB, 353x550
>>348556
desu
>>
File: ttyw.jpg (15 KB, 187x300) Image search: [Google]
ttyw.jpg
15 KB, 187x300
this is pretty good
>>
>>348778
Wiki is essentially just a giant entry-level college student's paper that is. Without the books that give it its information, it would be completely worthless.
>>
>>348778
http://www.conservapedia.com/Wikipedia
>>
File: 120 days of Sodom.jpg (10 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
120 days of Sodom.jpg
10 KB, 183x275
>>348556

You will never be more than novice tier at philosophy until you've read and mastered this book.
>>
>>348778
baka, you could have at least said free downloaded books off the internet. there's enough to occupy you for a lifetime
>>
>>348903
>Pellopenesian
triggered
>>
>>349904
>eating the poopoo XD
>>
>>349896

>conservepedia

Isn't that some butthurt site that got started by Creationists because they were annoyed no one at Wikipedia would accept their citations that magic was real?
>>
>>349619
I wanted to read about the Thirty Years War desu. Is this the best book on that topic?
>>
>>349924
I always spell it wrong, it's a personal meme
>>
>>350288
Its not just about creationism. Wikipedia has many bias conservatives disagree with.
>>
>>350335

Like this?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/conservapedia-e-mc-sup-2-sup-is-a-liberal-conspiracy

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19303-emc2-not-on-conservapedia/
>>
>>349904
he's right.
de Sade is the master of utopist thought
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.